Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year Courses

Options
  • 10-06-2005 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

What course did you choose to do for the next two blissful years in school :rolleyes:

Which Course 28 votes

Leaving Certificate (Established)
    0% 0 votes
    Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme
    35% 10 votes
    Leaving Certificate Applied
    14% 4 votes
    The sleep in bed course (leaving school)
    0% 0 votes
    Transition Year
    0% 0 votes
    Apprenticeship
    50% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

What's LCE?

And also, I'm doing TY...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

you know I forgot all aobut TY.....LC(E) is just normal leaving cert...the Established LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I applied to do LCVP, but I didn't get in due to not being in on the day they picked the names out of the hat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Can't you do LC Established and LCVP.

Doesn't matter to me, im doin TY.

Na they are two different courses altogether...LCVP is just LCE but doing a few link modules aswell.

• Advertisement

I forgot to put it in the list :o ....any mods feel free to add it(if you can)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm hoping to do LCVP, but the principal said they arent going into it till September. There's no LCA in my school next year, not enough people wanting to do it...a few people dropped out because of that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

What are all these different courses? What the hell's a link module? Why are there different courses? What are the (dis)advantages? Why have I not heard of them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm doing TY .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Im doing LCVP.In our school 15 are doing TY,about 10 are doing LCVP,12 are doing LCA,and the rest are doing the normal Leaving cert :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Why didn't you put TY up as an option? About 60 in our school are doing it. A waste of a year maybe, but a good waste of a year! :D

What are all these different courses? What the hell's a link module? Why are there different courses? What are the (dis)advantages? Why have I not heard of them before?

Have you never been told anything by your teachers about the course choices?...surely you guidance counsellor has talked to your class about it :confused:

http://lcvp.slss.ie

Go read up....it has LCA and other info too

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't worry about it this week, you have the whole summer to sort it out.

Yea. Thats some good advice...Forget about ym babbling, do your JC first then worry :p

BTW: thanks Victor for putting those two up there in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

I'd guess that about 90% of my year are doing TY (loads of people always do TY in my school), and so am I. Then it'll be LCE, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

We have to do TY in our school.
    Doesn't bother me, I'd pick it anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Have you never been told anything by your teachers about the course choices?...surely you guidance counsellor has talked to your class about it :confused:

http://lcvp.slss.ie

Go read up....it has LCA and other info too
    Thanks for that. Actually LCVP looks like it might be good for me. I know what I want to do and it's a skill (acting). I'll talk to my guidence counsellor about it next year.

No problem.
    Yea even if I had the choice in my school I'd prob still choose LCVP

hang on, I've a question...do we have to move on from the JC board next year?

I was thinking of that myself too...We cant exactly go to the leaving cert forum can we :confused:

• Advertisement

Well there are people on this forum who did their JC last year :rolleyes: So what d'you think?

Anyway, since I'm all old and stuff, and did my JC like 70 years ago, it makes little difference to me anyway. =P

Nah, they'd Nerd-slap us the hell outta there.

The Mods should make a general(under Soc, Education) secondary school forum and put JC and LC into it but allow people in secondary who do not fall into JC or LC to post in a diff area of it

Good idea, go suggest it!

To Whom?

system - forums. There's already been a teen forum request, denied. probably poinltess requesting something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Or even better... A TY forum!
    If Nihongo (Japanese) gets its own forum, Transition Year should too!
    Everyone bombard whoever can give us a TY forum witt h loads of requests.

SO who do we ask?

b-b-b-but I'm not doing TY! I'm going to 5th! ARGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Na they are two different courses altogether...LCVP is just LCE but doing a few link modules aswell.

Stopped reading the thread here... LCVP is basically just like another subject as part of the LC. You are only eligible for it through certain subject combinations and your final grade is heavily based on a Portfolio of Coursework. To get back to the point, no they are not too completely different courses altogether and I did LCVP as part of my LC this year. That is all.

• Advertisement

Eh, I don't see why we need a new forum.
    I mean, what exactly are we going to be discussing in a TY forum...?
    And a general education forum... well, education is mostly aimed towards the exams so the J/LC forums can suffice for that.

And other stuff, like people ranting about uniforms and things, well, if you've got a topic there's probably SOME forum on Boards that can take it.

Advertisement