Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfway there, how many points do you think you'll get?

Options
  • 10-06-2005 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I'm dropping my estimate from 450 to 400

How many points do you think you'll get now?? 57 votes

550-600
    0% 0 votes
    500-545
    12% 7 votes
    450-495
    14% 8 votes
    400-445
    19% 11 votes
    350-395
    31% 18 votes
    300-345
    10% 6 votes
    250-295
    5% 3 votes
    200-245
    5% 3 votes
    150-195
    0% 0 votes
    <150
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'm dropping my estimate from 270 to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

exact same as me.. was hopin for 450-460 but now, 410 looks more realistic

Due to that fricking aural, I'm going to drop myself to 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Toughy, hard to tell, if I pass french (45 points) I estimate 515, if I fail around 500. I'm hoping my better exams aren't gonna be tough, I'm relying on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

want 500 but would settle for 450-495

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

It could be anything from 480 to 530 because french and music are on-the-day exams; they're very unreliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

seriously i can't judge how i've done so i'm not bothering to vote. But i don't feel i'm going to get my 485 course

*doubts self

plus the worst is yet to come. Thanks be to God for this weekend and the gap days for me tuesday and thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i reckon i'll still get as i predicted.

*Angel* wrote:
    Toughy, hard to tell, if I pass french (45 points) I estimate 515, if I fail around 500. I'm hoping my better exams aren't gonna be tough, I'm relying on them.

how the hell can you fail french?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Very, very touch and go with regards to my 465 - I think it'll all hinge on history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I am keeping hope. The Maths could possibly screw up my points, but I am relying on Irish (everything went perfect in it: both papers were simple and I couldn't have got <90 on that aural) and English for As. I need 545-550 for Pharmacy so I if I get 280 points between English Irish and Maths I will be over halfway there.

*Angel*, you won't fail French. You already have the oral under your belt. And even if you do, you still have your other 6 subjects, right?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm not going to try to predict my points at this stage, since I've only finished Irish and English so far... But I'm hopeful, because they both went betyter than the mocks - Maths was a bit disappointing, I probably won't get a B at this stage, but I wasn't planning on counting it for points so I don't really mind too much

how the hell can you fail french?

Very easily, I'm crap at it, I only got 47% in the mocks and I thought that was an 'easy' paper, and I've since done sh!t all for it.

*Angel* wrote:
    Very easily, I'm crap at it, I only got 47% in the mocks and I thought that was an 'easy' paper, and I've since done sh!t all for it.
    You probably improved on your oral, that'll bring your marks up, just make sure you know the most important verbs and tenses because that's where a lot of the marks are lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I don't really know yet, I don't need maths and irish for points because I'm doing six higher level subjects and all of them start next week. As far as english goes I reckon I have somewhere between a C2 and a B2, I would say probably a B3.
    I find it quite a pain in the arse that all of my other exams will be finished by Wednesday and then I have to wait a week for economics, that's a good thing I suppose because it's not one of my better subjects. I need at least 310 points and a D3 in maths and irish.

If you fail maths do you fail the leaving? I've heard that from a few people.

GDM wrote:
    If you fail maths do you fail the leaving? I've heard that from a few people.
    I don't think you failt the leaving as such, I think it's just impossible to get into some colleges and ITs. DIT require a pass in Maths, for example. It really depends on where you want to go, you can check out the entry requirements on the websites for each college and It.
    I think if you fail English though, you fail the leaving

Fishie wrote:
    You probably improved on your oral, that'll bring your marks up, just make sure you know the most important verbs and tenses because that's where a lot of the marks are lost

Well the oral was marked easy for the mocks so I doubt that will improve, thanks for the help.

I'm going to Griffith College to do Law. I've already been given a conditional acceptance which means as long as I get at least 300 points and have €15000 lying around then they'll take me. I'm just not sure if I need to have passed maths, they do accept foundation level but that's no use to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

As far as I understand, to pass the Leaving you need to fail no more than 2 subjects. So for most people this means passing 5 or 6.

Rredwell wrote:
    As far as I understand, to pass the Leaving you need to fail no more than 2 subjects. So for most people this means passing 5 or 6.

Yes, that means I can fail maths and not worry! Not really it just makes failing maths(which I probably will0 less of a head wrecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

huh, and here I was thinking if I fail irish it's all over... is it just me or is this important point never actually explained? the going view in my class is that if you fail any of maths, english or irish you automatically fail(at life, hurr) your entire leaving and you have to repeat. even my english teacher isn't sure if that's true or not.

anyway, I'm not all that worried about points. my first choice is the university of teesside in middlesbrough, so I had to go through the UCAS application system. I have to say, it's more complicated that CAO but it seems a lot nicer. so now I'm hanging on the grades requirements teesside gave me:
    • B in english(going on the exams, I think I got that one)
    • B in art(the practical exams were excellent, art history is now my biggest nightmare)
    • C in french(easy as sleeping)
    • C in music(I'll be saved by my practical here, methinks. got a C in the mocks without that, so should be okay.)
    ...right, bit of a detour there. my second choice is animation at DLIADT, which is just up the road from me. past points were in the 800's or thereabouts. sounds insane(I get a lot of incredulous looks when I mention that) until you realise that you get marked out of 600 on a portfolio too. *coughIgot600onminecough*

pity nothing came up about the actual education and points system in irish paper II, actually. I had my 500-word rant about the pressures of the points system down pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I've only 2 and half of 7 done! So i don't know. I feel confident enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I've got 2.5 subjects finished... 5.5 to go. :) So a little less than 1/3 of my leaving finished... still, I figure about 430 points - more than enough for my first choice (CS @ TCD), although barely scraping it for my second choice (Maths @ TCD) which I'm considering changing to in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 priestboy

i'm hoping for 550 points, well on course at the moment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

coughIgot600onminecough

i got 600 too!! for DLO41 animation, its my first choice with model making for film and media as my second i got 540 for that! :D

do you think many people get 600?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Only 96 methinks last year. was 80-100 anyway

80 to 100 people got 600 on their portfolio for animation?!
    are you taking the piss?!

or do you mean in the leaving cert!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I think he thought you meant actual Leaving Cert. points...

phew!! :p
    im really hoping to get in to dl they only except 22 people for animation so i got abit scared there when he said that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I'm not sure about the numbers who get 600, but my mum's friend who works in DIT says when they give you 600 points, it means only one thing: they want you. which is nice to know when you're stressing about the bloody art history exam next week.

Advertisement