Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Saw A Cheater!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheToast

From my understanding of it, if an supervisor sees someone cheating they don't confront them beyond a possible quiet "I have you under observation" and their scripts go into a separate envelope for investigation. So don't worry about them definitely getting away with it because if they did it and think they got away with it, it's definitely possible that they'll end up with their whole exam cancelled in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

conanm wrote:
    What do you consider cheating? Before a few of my exams, in my last seconds of study before I walk in, I write down a few keywords I need to know but will forget (e.g. in English, Emily Dickinson - Aphoristic, Love is, I heard a, etc..) on a sheet of paper, scrunch it up, throw it away, and then rewrite those key words on my exam script the minute I get in. Effectively, that's the same thing as what these twats do, only it's your short term memory you're using, not a piece of clothing or skin.

class way of looking at it. that we're cheating by bringing in information in our heads. have to agree with ya, what is cheating?

and its rhetoric i don't want an answer. ..."its doing us who study so hard out of it" blah blah .just for the record i don't "cheat" anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

grasshopa wrote:
    I'm considering starting an open free wiki-style community for notes and past paper solutions after LC.
    Excellent idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

It's a little **** that they're potentially upping the points for a course by cheating though... I think the social stigma should be on the cheater cos it's pissy

Exactly. I don't get why some people see cheating as showing you have balls or 'real' brains or whatever...it's basically that you're too thick/lazy to have actually worked, so you're going to screw over someone else who actually did work to try and get into college. Cheating in house exams or tests in school is one thing - it's wrong, and it's cheap, but you're not actually hurting anyone. Every point you gain through cheating in the LC is taking points away from someone else ('cause of the Bell curve system) and in the end, could end up costing them a college place and screwing up a year of their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yeah but that's just pointing out the inherent flaws in a system in which your performance is rated not on how well you do or how much you know but on how you are relative to everyone around you. You could be an absolute genius but if everybody else was even moreso in the year you sat your exams you mightn't get the required points...

I'm not cheating because of that "screwing other people out of a course thing"... but with physics tomorrow i really wish i was :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

Yeah, I would never cheat... but the difference it could make in physics would be huge. Like popping out to the toilet to look at a deriavation for 18 marks, or any definition/maths formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

I think that if you have an opportunity to cheat ( ie. a good seat in the exam hall ) where you know you will get away with it and you know it will improve your grade , i dont see the point in not taking that opportunity. You can all say you studied and studied and studied and achieved good marks , I can say that i studied and studied and studied and achieved better marks. I have cheated in some of my exams so far. I will cheat tommorow in physics , and it feels great that i can do one small simple thing and improve my marks like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If you had the chance to leave the scene of an accident you caused, would you do that too?

Where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

hmmm... presumably you draw the line somewhere in the thousands of miles between "cheating in a test" and "killing somebody and running away"

• Advertisement

newgrange wrote:
    If you had the chance to leave the scene of an accident you caused, would you do that too?

Where do you draw the line?

what im saying is that alot more people than you think cheat, its a fact that a lot of people cheat , if they take my place in college because of that i would get angry , but im not allowing that to happen , because im cheating myself. Its not that im cheating because im lazy , i have done as much study as any of you for the leaving cert , im going to get good grades and that makes me happy. I dont know about drawing the line as you put it , but i know that cheating in the leaving cert is something i will do , and have done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

what im saying is that alot more people than you think cheat, its a fact that a lot of people cheat , if they take my place in college because of that i would get angry , but im not allowing that to happen , because im cheating myself.

So you have figures to back up the fact that alot of people cheat? I'm pretty sure that no more than 2 people in my year cheat (out of 34), and I haven't even seen those 2 people cheating. Even if alot of people do cheat, that doesn't justify it. Alot more people will be screwed by someone cheating as opposed to the amount of people who cheat that will be brought on a par with you. Above all you will have a greater chance of screwing more people out of places by cheating than you will have a chance of not being screwed by someone else's cheating.
    "Its not that im cheating because im lazy , i have done as much study as any of you for the leaving cert"

Care to explain that one? I'm pretty sure that most people who are getting A's the decent, honest & hardworking way have put alot more work into study than you. Otherwise you wouldn't need to cheat to get good grades.

Above all the Leaving Cert is a test about your ability to study and perform under exam pressure. It might not be the best system, but it isn't a test on how good you are at cheating. If you think it is, you're only kidding yourself and you'll find it tougher in future if you rely on cheating to get you everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Yeah but that's just pointing out the inherent flaws in a system in which your performance is rated not on how well you do or how much you know but on how you are relative to everyone around you.

True, but if everyone goes along with the system and starts on a level ground, it's (generally speaking) going to be the good students who've worked hard that will do the best, whereas is people cheat to push themselves ahead they're screwing with the system and making everyone else suffer for it.
    what im saying is that alot more people than you think cheat, its a fact that a lot of people cheat

Even if this were true (and I agree with Richard_Fonzie that it isn't definite - I only know one person who's cheating out of 20 in my year) it doesn't make it alright. You can take almost any given crime and find hundreds of people who have committed it, but that doesn't give you the right to go out and do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Just want to say my piece on the issue

Cheating is a low-life thing to do. Not only is it scabby on other people (as in the LC), but it also reflects your moral code in life. That whole mentality would totally put me off a person, and whether you realise it or not, it speaks volumes about the type of person you are.

Take from that what you will.

:)

i guess you all are probly right , but i am still going to cheat and have cheated in the leaving cert , for me , this leaves nothing bad in my conscience , i have thought it through before the leavin cert started and i thought it was a good idea for me. But i still stand by my point that quite alot of people cheat in the leaving cert , in my year , its a pretty big school there are about 150 students doing the leavin cert and id say about 1 in every 10 people are cheating and i think thats alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

In my opinion cheating is neither wrong nor right in this system of ours. If someone has not done a scrap of work and blatently cheats in an exam I would say that is downright wrong. Although I really dont think you need to be concerned about those people screwing you out of a place in college, unless you are going for a course with really low points. Anyone who has to rely on cheating that much is hardly going to get many points so its not even worth worrying about.

There is a second type of "cheating" though in my mind. This is perpetrated by those who have studied their ass off all year and really want to get on well. They do not rely on cheating but instead use it as a means of putting their mind at rest in any given exam. I do not think this is a crime or some form of wrongdoing. If anything, it is a sign that the said person is ambitious and eager to get ahead in life. Chances are they will not need to cheat, but just having a few notes helps calm the nerves.

That is just my opinion on the subject however :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Sweeno wrote:
    i guess you all are probly right , but i am still going to cheat and have cheated in the leaving cert , for me , this leaves nothing bad in my conscience , i have thought it through before the leavin cert started and i thought it was a good idea for me. But i still stand by my point that quite alot of people cheat in the leaving cert , in my year , its a pretty big school there are about 150 students doing the leavin cert and id say about 1 in every 10 people are cheating and i think thats alot.

just curious how u cheat? index cards?
    oh yea and all that crap about checking pencil cases is waffle aswel.

There is a second type of "cheating" though in my mind. This is perpetrated by those who have studied their ass off all year and really want to get on well. They do not rely on cheating but instead use it as a means of putting their mind at rest in any given exam. I do not think this is a crime or some form of wrongdoing. If anything, it is a sign that the said person is ambitious and eager to get ahead in life. Chances are they will not need to cheat, but just having a few notes helps calm the nerves.

That is just my opinion on the subject however :rolleyes:

That's the type of cheating I think is grossely unfair. If you have studied then you should know the stuff; you should not need an extra few cards to help "calm the nerves" - that's a load of BS! And it's a real stinger for the people who actually have worked and have stuck to the rules to make it fair for everyone, despite being uber worried about the whole thing. That's the people who will do you out of medicine and the high points courses with big competition - I don't see how any one could think that was ok.

Also the guy who says "lots of people do it", hate to revert back to this, but here it goes
    If 1 in 10 people in your exam hall jumped off a cliff - would you?
    Have a bit of integrity ffs

It this fairness lark could possibly be the Libra in me coming out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

what im saying is that alot more people than you think cheat, its a fact that a lot of people cheat , if they take my place in college because of that i would get angry , but im not allowing that to happen , because im cheating myself. Its not that im cheating because im lazy , i have done as much study as any of you for the leaving cert , im going to get good grades and that makes me happy. I dont know about drawing the line as you put it , but i know that cheating in the leaving cert is something i will do , and have done

you sir are an idiot, you are constantly saying that you will cheat and have cheated in the leaving cert and that it dosnt effect you at all.. it obviously is effecting you if you have to keep saying it because it means you are thinking about it and thats exactly what you will be doing for the next X amount of years.... thinking about it.
    whenever people say well done or anything like that you will have to smile through your teeth while deep down you know its all false and you dont actually deserve it.... if all this dosnt bother you then how about every time someone does say congrats on your "good grades" (if you get them) you reply with "thanks i cheated"... no?... i didnt think so.

and even more so the very fact that you have to broadcast your bull**** on here makes you a fool because you think there will be a few people here, and more than likely there will, that will agree with you.. basically your just trying to reasure yourself WHICH DEFFINATLY SHOWS YOU ARE BEING EFFECTED BY IT!!
    the whole thing your saying about you working as hard as everyone else! YEAH RIGHT!!.. thats the best thing ive read all year!
    if you could get the good grades that you want with out cheating i and everyone else would have alot more respect for you.......

MAN YOU'RE A ****ING JOKE!

just curious how u cheat? index cards?
    oh yea and all that crap about checking pencil cases is waffle aswel.

I just bring in cog notes up my sleeves then slip them under my answer booklet in the hall and away i go , i also have a good position in the exam hall so its simple.

• Advertisement

you sir are an idiot, you are constantly saying that you will cheat and have cheated in the leaving cert and that it dosnt effect you at all.. it obviously is effecting you if you have to keep saying it because it means you are thinking about it and thats exactly what you will be doing for the next X amount of years.... thinking about it.
    whenever people say well done or anything like that you will have to smile through your teeth while deep down you know its all false and you dont actually deserve it.... if all this dosnt bother you then how about every time someone does say congrats on your "good grades" (if you get them) you reply with "thanks i cheated"... no?... i didnt think so.

and even more so the very fact that you have to broadcast your bull**** on here makes you a fool because you think there will be a few people here, and more than likely there will, that will agree with you.. basically your just trying to reasure yourself WHICH DEFFINATLY SHOWS YOU ARE BEING EFFECTED BY IT!!
    the whole thing your saying about you working as hard as everyone else! YEAH RIGHT!!.. thats the best thing ive read all year!
    if you could get the good grades that you want without cheating i and everyone else would have alot more respect for you.......

hum wrote:
    you sir are an idiot, you are constantly saying that you will cheat and have cheated in the leaving cert and that it dosnt effect you at all.. it obviously is effecting you if you have to keep saying it because it means you are thinking about it

I repeated it because it was the point i was making at the time.....
    hum wrote:
    whenever people say well done or anything like that you will
    have to smile through your teeth while deep down you know its all false and you dont actually deserve it....

what makes you think i am exactly like you would be if you cheated? im not, it would affect people in different ways and im glad it doesnt affect me in that way. If it did i would probably be also argueing against cheating , but it doesnt im happy with what im doing and i really couldnt care less if you disagree , you are only looking at cheating from your own point of view
    hum wrote:
    and even more so the very fact that you have to broadcast your bull**** on here makes you a fool

Broadcast? this is a discussion , im not trying to convert people , im telling people about what i chose to do , replying so angrily to an internet discussion makes you look like such an idiot
    hum wrote:

lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Man did I cheat in the Leaving Cert. (1998)
    I actually derived a buzz from getting a away with it.

Cheating is an art in its self and therefore should be appreciated. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

BRAGGING about cheating? How Ironic and silly....

It's basically declaring that you are TOO THICK to do well ...

Don't bother replying cheaters, you are not on the same level as the rest of us and anything you have to say has no credibility.

RJ

ok point taken.....
    replying so angrily to an internet discussion makes you look like such an idiot

im sorry if it read like that i didnt mean it to suppose the caps and everything made it like that...
    im only looking at it from one side to a certain extent i just dont think you can properly justify what you are doing thats all... but if you can then go ahead........saying stuff like you are working just as hard as anyone else certainly dosnt change anything, if anything it makes it worse and IMO if you are working hard.. its brings alot of greed into what you are saying and to a point your attitude reflects one of every man for himself kinda thing..which i think is just sad that a system like this brings people our age to such a low way of looking at things..........but hey we are stuck with it and maybe im looking into it way more than i should be.
    look whatever its an ancient argument and as i said nothing anyone says will change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

The way the educational system is set up these days, many classes emphasise going through useless motions instead of learning. Sometimes students are forced to take classes they don't want to that are unrelated to anything they will pursue later on in life. If you're not learning, what's the point? Cheating never is ethnically right, but in situations like these, you can rest a bit easier knowing that you aren't quite so naughty. :D

Ps: I cheated this isnt my own work I pinched it from
    http://www.getschooled.com/guides/27/ ;)

Sweeno wrote:

what makes you think i am exactly like you would be if you cheated? im not, it would affect people in different ways and im glad it doesnt affect me in that way. If it did i would probably be also argueing against cheating , but it doesnt im happy with what im doing and i really couldnt care less if you disagree , you are only looking at cheating from your own point of view

I didn't know that there was different ways of looking at cheating. It may affect people in different ways, but everyone agrees that the basic principle of it is unethical. Just because one person covers up the fact that he is a murderer better, doesn't mean he's less of a murderer than the next one who's a bad liar...

Sweeno wrote:
    replying so angrily to an internet discussion makes you look like such an idiot

No, it shows people that he has ethics and a backbone.
    Unlike you.

somebody please take down this topic, It's impossible to alter the points of view of the cheaters so don't bother.I know they may be taking your college place but things will work out for you in the end. In the end they'll be jobless or have no place in college when they're caught cheating there. End this discussion now, its just giving them a chance to argue for cheating

yeah i agree, at the end of it all they are the ones who have to live with it, not us.

• Advertisement

ok....*puts down mud*

Advertisement