Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voluntary Contribution

Options
  • 11-06-2005 12:15am

Did anyone else recieve this letter from CTYI??
    Now i dont want to sound stingy but if we are paying €950 for the course i would have thought they could cover costs. Why have they extended if they cannot afford to do so?. I think CTYI is great but if they knew they were going to be short then they should have adjusted the price accordingly.
    I think €950 is alot of money, don't you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

stuohy1 wrote:
    Did anyone else recieve this letter from CTYI??
    Now i dont want to sound stingy but if we are paying €950 for the course i would have thought they could cover costs. Why have they extended if they cannot afford to do so?. I think CTYI is great but if they knew they were going to be short then they should have adjusted the price accordingly.
    I think €950 is alot of money, don't you?
    they spend €1.2million a year running the place, so in context, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

€950 is nothing! divide that by 3 weeks.... where else could you go for a week for €315 and not have to pay for any meals. And then if you consider tuition and supervision.......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

How much is this voluntary contribution? (Maybe they don't specify but I'm going with the assumtion that it's like those involuntary voluntary contributions my secondary school were so fond of.)

This is gonna come back and bite me but if they're so much in need of funds why not ask for a little (quite little) from a lotta people (e.g. alumni).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Bear in mind, €950 is not what it costs CTYI to support and teach you for three weeks... every Irish (perhaps EU) student is HEAVILY subsidised by the government. Hence, international students pay much higher fees.

Also, the alumni may be more inclined to contribute if the promised alumni 'features' were delivered. I remember hearing all sorts of talk about newsletters and alumni reunions (run by the Centre, not '12@ d green LOL111!!!!ONEONEONE' reunions). Having said that, I'll still contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Halenger: the story with the contribution is that letters were sent out to the parents of students and ex-students asking for a voluntary contribution of around €100.

Personally i support this and will be bugging my parents to put it through, even if i pay a decent patch of it.

Only thing i found weird is its been a fair while since i've seen something with the words "For the Parents of Neil McGough" on something (3rd Year iirc) and especially not somewhere that will be employing me! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

The letter says eur100 but the ticky-box thing attached has eur25, 50 etc as options. I don't really think it's that much to ask for... and I doubt they'll be hunting people down if they choose not to make a donation. It's a once-off thing, and the choice of throwing away the letter and forgetting about it is always there.
    crash_000 wrote:
    Only thing i found weird is its been a fair while since i've seen something with the words "For the Parents of Neil McGough" on something (3rd Year iirc) and especially not somewhere that will be employing me! :P

Heh, me too. Only it didn't have your name on it, obviously, because that would be odd. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I got one of them. (Well, technically it was for the sister since I'm not a past student quite yet)
    Shall probably bug the parents to pay it. I mean, we pay voluntary contributions to my goddamn school and I love CTYI one HELL of a lot more. So they deserve it for being spiffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's not just past students PFM, I got one too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh. Guess they don't love me enough to send me one, then.

*melodrama*

... That or they're not going to send the letter to the same house twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As did I. To be honest, I don't like it in the sense that it's sounding a lot like my school, but I like CTYI far too much to not help out in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got this letter in the post... It's kinda funny to think that at *almost* 21 years of age they still addressed it to my parents. I would pay the 100, but I have to pay 3900 euro in fees for college next year so that's kind of a more pressing matter for me right now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Oh. Guess they don't love me enough to send me one, then.

Ditto... Nada here, unless our postman's being lazy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

it's sounding a lot like my school
    My school asked us for a bigger contribution (than CTYI) before I even had my first day of secondary school. And I don't even like the place! I'll probably contribute if I remember it and can find the freakin' letter.

My old secondary school (i left the place after 3 years because i detested it) are still sending me letters asking if "as an alumnus of the school" i'd like to contribute. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Neil, is that that Opus Dei place you were telling me about before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

You went to an Opus Dei school?! Holy ****! That's gotta be bad.

Yup. right hell hole tbh :) glad i got out of there after 3rd year - kept me (vaguely) sane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Did they make you wear that spiky thing around your leg or was that just in the Da Vinci code?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I got no letter. I feel unloved now.

Maybe you have to have had a certain number of years attendance to get one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I got one last week, I’m not sure if my parents will pay it or not since they already pay school fees and everything. But they defiantly should do more (as in something!) for alumni. We could be worth quite a bit of money to them when we enter the real world and start to earn.

My Parents got the letter today, I think separate ones were sent for both my Sister and I which was strange...i'll be encouraging the parents to contribute, 's for a very good cause after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

they didn't send it to me. way for the office to make me feel unloved. funny, too, cause i'd be willing to fork over some money for them. which would make my high school jealous, cause they've been wanting my money since the day i graduated. *cackle*
    but on a more serious note, i think it's more realistic to send requests like that to alums and not to students/parents of students who are currently attending, and with different options of amounts (eg anywhere from 10€ to 100+€).

and neil... are you sure you'll want to give money after being paid minimal amounts to run around spanking children and being sleep deprived?

well, possibly not. it would feel creepy to be giving money towards "staff wages" (which was one of the things mentioned) heheh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

you mean they won't have box to check that says "i want to give myself lots of money!" ?!?!? the scandal of it all. (HA!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

TDs don't seem to have a problem with it!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Zounds wrote:
    Maybe you have to have had a certain number of years attendance to get one

Not unless it's 1, and these donations are for the CTYI organisation, not just the 3 week courses. (Although they are inclusive)

pinkpimp wrote:
    Not unless it's 1, and these donations are for the CTYI organisation, not just the 3 week courses. (Although they are inclusive)
    good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

well, applied to be an RA..................and it took them 4 WEEKS to reply (as well as 2 PHONE CALLS, and 3 trips to the CTYI office IN PERSON to "encourage" them to get a move on) at whic point, they informed me that "You have not been successful at this time"

Then a letter (TO MY PARENTS) drops in asking for a "voluntary contribution". well can you guess how much we decided to contrbiute voluntarily.?

• Advertisement

.....A bijillion euro?

Advertisement