Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AT-AR250e router with Netsource - anyone familiar with it?

• 11-06-2005 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a problem with my netsource dsl. The provided dsl modem, the AT-AR250e, does not allow a direct connection to the internet. It takes an internet IP address for itself, and passes along only a dhcp lan address to the four ports, ie 192.168.1.2, 192.138.1.3, etc.

The voip gateway I am using from the US-based Voip service "callvantage" requires that it have an internet IP address rather than a dhcp lan address. This is because there is a check done by the callvantage servers to make sure that the voip gateway IP address matches the reported internet IP address. Does anyone know of a way around this, perhaps by some sort of passthrough mode on the AT-AR250e, that would allow me to plug the voip gateway into the router and get an internet IP address? Or is there another third party modem I could buy that would be compatible with the netsource service? Netsource has offered to help me on Monday but says that the cost of replacement equipment will be up to 400 euros, if it is even possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

you will need to do a reverse NAT using the ports of your VOIP service to your internal IP of the their box..

on the AT-Ar250E go to:

Security - NAT - Configure - Configure NAT on "Int" whatever - then down to the bottom and "Add Reserved Mapping" and you should be away...

let me know how you get on, this shoudl work fine, i have extensive experience with this box, so let me know if you need more help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 vastudent

Thanks for the advice, I was able to get it working. I simply needed to turn the firewall off, the reason I was having trouble is because turning the firewall off involves two steps. First to click the apply button, then to save the configuration to flash. I had thought that I only needed to click the apply button, but it didn't seem to be doing anything.

Voip works good now, the latency on calls to the US is much less noticeable than I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

i woudl be inclined to leave the firewall in place, and configure the ports way, now you only have NAT as a basic protection...up to yourself of course...

VOIP should be very good on that router, they are a fast little box..

Advertisement