Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buffy the vampire slayer/Angel movies?

• 11-06-2005 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

If there is any other fans out there with any news on buffy/angel movies please post it here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well I think Joss is too concerned with Serenity and the inevitable sequels to even bother with Buffy or Angel movies, but in all honesty do we really want them? I've never been a fan of Buffy, and while Angel was a far superior show, even then it took a sharp downhill freefall from Season 4, and while the inclusion of Spike in Season 5 made it quite funny and watchable, it seemed nothing but a last-ditch attempt to revitalize the show. Let us not forget that at one stage Angel was quite a dark show altogether, and had quite huge storylines that took up entire seasons, latter Angel had a bunch of crap episodes with puppets, Fred in a sexy outfit and other sillyness to try and boost ratings, and the only bit of plot in the entire season came out like a fart at the end. Very dissapointing altogether.

I honestly think that Whedon suffered from Chris Carter syndrome with having absolutely no idea where he was taking the show. So, a movie? Unlike with Firefly, I don't think there was really anything left with Angel, so I could only see it as a pointless cash-in. Let it die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I disagree...Buffy did go down hill indeed,but angel only got better,in fact season 5 was by far the best season of them all...and it was much darker than the rest.

As for movies...it wont happen anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Adding Spike was the WBs decision, because they wanted to draw in 'Buffy' fans.
    Also, Joss and the other writers had to make season 5 mostly standalone episodes because apparently it was 'too difficult' for people to start watching in the middle of a two-season long arc.
    I think that's ridiculous, though. I started watching halfway through season 4 and got along just fine.

But, to answer the original question, I don't think there will be any Buffy/Angel movies, but if there are, it will most likely be a Spike one.
    They seem to be thinking about doing that, but I don't think it will happen.

They're milking him for all he's worth, if that wasn't obvious enough when they brought him back in season 4 of 'Buffy'. :rolleyes:

I'm a little bitter about that, yes. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Slightly OT but the Firefly boxset is on sale in HMV for around €35. I've never seen the show so I intend on getting it before the movie comes out in Sept.

I'm starting to think we'll never see an Angel/Buffy/Spike movie - the opportunity to do it has probably been and gone. I reckon Whedon wants to move on but is too scared to admit this to fans.

Well, we are a rabid lot. :p

That's pretty cheap, for 'Firefly'. I might buy it for someone. Already have a copy for myself.

I would rather they just let the Buffyverse rest in peace. I don't want it to turn into another 'Star Trek' with 'Jonathan', 'The Mayor Years', and 'The Master: Evil, or just misunderstood?'.

Let Joss concentrate on coming up with new exciting projects, like he did with 'Firefly'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think for one of the seasons two of the main actors weren't available to play their parts for the end. It might have been season two or three and I think it was the characters of Lindsay and, eh, the female lawyer. Anyway I wouldn't totally blame Whedon if the show lost a little direction in season 4, which I agree was pretty dire.

Anyway, he's wrapping up Serenity, and if that's a hit there's talk of making a trilogy. He's also attached to the Wonder Woman film. The WB want him to make a two hour special with characters from the Buffy/Angel universe or something along those lines, but Joss has pretty much said it wouldn't involve Buffy or Angel but focus on other characters.

This is all over on http://whedonesque.com/ by the way, you should keep an eye out there for news. I'm not bothered either way; as long as Whedon keeps producing the goods I don't care what universe he uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Earthhorse wrote:
    I think for one of the seasons two of the main actors weren't available to play their parts for the end. It might have been season two or three and I think it was the characters of Lindsay and, eh, the female lawyer. Anyway I wouldn't totally blame Whedon if the show lost a little direction in season 4, which I agree was pretty dire.

Season 4 going downhill was due to Firefly being cancelled, and Whedon re-jigging the whole story arc just to fit in Gina Torres. Whatever storyarc the writers were working on went out the window entirely, almost as an act of vandelism as soon as he lost Firefly, which is a shame.

That was because they had to fit Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy into the storyline quickly, because she didn't tell them about it for a while. So it was all kind of a rushed thing.

It wasn't just so they could cast Gina Torres. :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I was a big fan of S4 and really enjoyed what they did with it and the year long arc. I even thought Jasmine was a great concept and pretty well executed. S5, on the other hand, had little direction and the whole Ilyria thing reeked of a need to get Acker into leather for some ratings. The finale was wonderful though.

i thought the illyria thing was great,great acting,by both amy acker and alexis denisof. I liked S4,but the Jasmine thing did seem rushed.

also id doubt it was for ratings,angel was the only WB show to post a ratings gain during that year it was in its 5th season,up 8% from the year before,every other show was down,most notable smallville and 7th heave down 25%. yes angel gets cancelled :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Personally I felt that Buffy went down hill when Angel left, while I loved the increase in presence of Spike the romantic link seemed a bit stretched. Angel was a weaker show, even if Glen Quinn was a childhood friend of mine (RIP).

I really do not see how there could be an Angel or Buffy film from the resolution of the shows.

"even if Glen Quinn was a childhood friend of mine"

Do you mean that literally? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

tvnutz wrote:
    "even if Glen Quinn was a childhood friend of mine"

Do you mean that literally? :confused:
    Yes, though it was when we were very, very young.

oh i see...I felt sad when he died,which is strange since I didnt know him...but he made an impact in Angel...great to see the Irish character having a big role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

I thought Series 4 the weakest of the lot on Angel - it had some great stand alone episodes and I really liked the development of Wesleys character but the Jasime character was pants. And Connor/Stephen bugs me!

Series 5 was a return to form, though slightly rushed for the last few episodes.

Wouldn't mind seeing a 2 hour movie to tie up the loose ends though it would have to include Angel (persuming he survived series 5!)

Don't see it happening though

I don't think we really need a movie to tie up loose ends, as there weren't really any.

The ending was perfect, Angel has never been about winning, it's just been about the fight. So it was great to see them go out fighting, doing what they do best. We don't really need to know what happens after that because it doesn't matter. It's not about the outcome of the battle. As Holland Manners once said, evil has always been there, and it always will be. They were never going to overthrow Wolfram and Hart, Angel said himself that they were basically going on a suicide mission just to momentarily inconvenience the law firm. That's all they can do.

It kept with the overall theme of the show, I think. I liked it.

:rolleyes:

Daelus wrote:
    I don't think we really need a movie to tie up loose ends, as there weren't really any.

The ending was perfect, Angel has never been about winning, it's just been about the fight. So it was great to see them go out fighting, doing what they do best. We don't really need to know what happens after that because it doesn't matter. It's not about the outcome of the battle. As Holland Manners once said, evil has always been there, and it always will be. They were never going to overthrow Wolfram and Hart, Angel said himself that they were basically going on a suicide mission just to momentarily inconvenience the law firm. That's all they can do.

It kept with the overall theme of the show, I think. I liked it.

:rolleyes:

well said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Zip

to be honest i felt sad when angel and buffy went cause it felt like they were your friends that u saw once a week every week and then they just left but the good thing is that I heard that whedon said there would be a crossover 2 hour long thing that didnt include angel or buffy just the other charactors and wat happend after the end.

Advertisement