Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on getting rid of ISDN

• 11-06-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hey,

Ive only just passed my line test (yahooo) but now I've learned that Esat BT are gonna charge me €190 to install BB! This is pretty expensive and I'd rather not pay it :) Can you get rid of the ISDN line somehow and then order broadband? I think I heard somewhere that it costs €25 to get it taken away. After that I'd just order the self-install online for free. Eircom charge €25 to do this for their dsl thing but Im not interested in getting theirs due to the 12 month contract thing. Any info on this is welcome.

Thanké

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

AFAIK, you have to get an eircom engineer out to take it out, but TBH all that has to be done is get the incoming feed pair and attach it to a telephone outlet and tell eircom that you dont want the isdn service anymore, because all the isdn box does is digitise your telephone line to carry two telephone feeds in one line, but eircom dont like this so they send out an engineer and then charge you for a job you could do.

Ps. you'll also loose your second ISDN number but that should'nt be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was able to install DSL without removing ISDN. It's still on the wall, like one big phone socket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

see i think once the box is off digitised signals ar'nt sent so you have a phone line atleast if the power goes.

Do you have your isdn box off Robert? because ive isdn but on another line and eircom at the time would'nt give me bb because the line was isdn.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Could i just cancel the ISDN and keep the box?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was able to install DSL without removing ISDN. It's still on the wall, like one big phone socket
    You don't have ISDN though; try plugging an ISDN device into it. The thing on the wall is just an adaptor, it's what the line is connected to in the exchange that counts. Strictly speaking Eircom should get the box back, but they don't seem to give a chuff about them.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wonder why they need to charge €190 to remove a box which can be disabled remotely...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wonder why they need to charge €190 to remove a box which can be disabled remotely...
    Strictly speaking they don't. However strictly speaking the engineer should collect the box, and of course he has to go to the exchange to physically move the line from ISDN to PSTN.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

im in the same boat but dont want to get rid of the 2nd phone line provided by isdn anyway to get around this

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

1huge1 wrote:
    im in the same boat but dont want to get rid of the 2nd phone line provided by isdn anyway to get around this

thanks
    You can downgrade your ISDN to 2 analogue lines (with the same numbers/MSNs as the ISDN had). You need to be very clear to eircom on how you explain this, otherwise you'll get a different answer every time you ring.

You should also mention that you want BB on the analogue line(s). It doesn't guarantee it'll pass the test after demotion from ISDN to POTS, but it's rumoured to help. You should also be aware that there is a risk that both analogue lines will fail the test after the downgrade.

.cg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

how can you do that without removing the digital ISDN signal.

on the lines where you've a (consumer grade) ISDN:

1) The POTS telephone signal is baseband, and is filtered to frequencies under ~12kHz or less.

2) The digital signal occupies the area above this.

You cannot have two analogue signals unless eircom come out and put an old-style multiplex box on the line (which does a neat trick with frequency shifting) to get two lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

@Red Alert.. if that was directed at me, then, obviously, you need to have eircom install the 2nd analogue line.

Advertisement