Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies

Options
  • 11-06-2005 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Adesina

Anyone here got any advice or stuff for newbies? It'll be my first time this Summer. So anything anybody wants to tell me (or ya know doesn't want to tell me but'll tell me anyway) would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Don't go in there with any preconceived notions of the place... be open minded, friendly and willing to put the effort into making friends. Like anything, you'll get out of it what you put into it so if you sit in the corner quietly it won't be much fun, but if you are friendly and chatty - even if you have to force yourself to be - then you'll enjoy it so much more.

Do not attempt to tell someone you like them using the Bob™ method. Neil (crash_000) will explain. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

just be willing to have a laugh, and do crazy things......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Just remember there are people older than you there. prepare to learn some things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That sounds so sleazy Matt! True though... Don't act the asshole. People are older than you, so they'll know a lot more interesting crap, but they'll still treat you like a peer. Your age is irrelevant, so don't worry. Everyone there is your equal, and you'll pick up soem weird and wonderful things that'll make you a more open, easy-going, and generally a better person. That's what I found anyway. As regards tips, caffeine addictions are good, as are bad money-making scams(Jolt Slushees, aw yeah...), and just acting as openly and positively as possible, with, of course, a healthy dose of cynicism, but maybe that's just me. Have a great time though, what session are you doing? If you're session two, I could use an apprentice to corrupt, speaking of which get into BDSM if you're smart, rather than having it drilled into you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Bring plenty of money to blow at the Spar, and, as a rule, the only edible food in the cafeteria is the bread :P
    Oh, bring something to dress up in as there will inevitably be a fancy-dress disco/day/something-or-other, and I usually screw myself over by forgetting to bring stuff to wear.

Aaaand... Let me think... I dunno, just go ready to come back with an altered sense of perception (i.e. you will constantly think, 'This isn't as cool as CTYI!'). And have a laugh, above all else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

People are older than you, so they'll know a lot more interesting crap, but they'll still treat you like a peer. Your age is irrelevant, so don't worry. Everyone there is your equal, and you'll pick up soem weird and wonderful things that'll make you a more open, easy-going, and generally a better person.

get into BDSM if you're smart, rather than having it drilled into you. :p
    Just remember there are people older than you there. prepare to learn some things

^^ What they said.

So try to make friends. Even if you are shy and reserved, try to get talking to a fellow newbie so you wont be alone and also get talking to someone who has been there before, they should help you out with anything and will introduce you too a few people. If you are open-mined and friendly, you will make friends.

What course and session will you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Bring food.

The food they give you in the canteen is..... odd. It does for meals but if you're like me then you'll need other stuff to eat during the rest of the day.
    You can buy stuff in the spar but it's cheaper if you bring stuff from home. Stuff like fruit and things. And use your fridge. I spent a fortune last year living off drinks from vending machines, so I reckon this year I might try buying actual cartons of stuff from the spar.

And yeah, in general advice, just.... abandon all inhibitions and allow yourself to be insane. Normalcy ruins all.

Just be glad you won't see me constantly puking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Great, I'm a newb S1 too so I wont be all alone! Out of curiosity, what kind of dress up?
    And the Bob methord? Sounds ominous......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Might I suggest you bring a classbag that you can carry on your back. A normal schoolbag. I've brought a handheld carry bag the last 2 years and it annoyed me that I never had 2 hands free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well last year the first disco had a specific theme (Angels and Devils), the second disco was just general fancy dree, and the last disco was wear whatever you want. Not everyone dresses up for the fancy dress ones though so if you really don't want to, you wont be the only one's dressing up. Before the first two discos you'll be going to Santry and Blanchardstown shopping centres so I'm sure you could pick up the makings of a costume there if you've come unprepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'll go with PFM, bring plenty of food. Not junk, edible instant stuff that you can make with a kettle and a toaster. Poptarts and pot noodle type of thing. Oh, and bringing some cutlery might be a good idea

To be honest it's as handy to swipe it from the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Just as it is handy to swipe as many muffins as humanly possible from there when they're on offer.

Just make sure the mad dessert woman/man doesn't see you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Adesina wrote:
    Anyone here got any advice or stuff for newbies? It'll be my first time this Summer. So anything anybody wants to tell me (or ya know doesn't want to tell me but'll tell me anyway) would be much appreciated.
    Don't plan at all.Just go with it when you get there and you definitely won't be dissapointed.If you go in with expectations you will be dissapointed when you don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have fun, relax and enjoy yourself. :)
    Bring plenty of money to blow at the Spar, and, as a rule, the only edible food in the cafeteria is the bread :P
    This is true. Though I've heard the food isn't as bad as it was in my day. Also try to get the vegetarian options if you can, they're usually better.

/me sighs and realises it's 4 years since she was a nevermore... and an old one at that.

for real food go vegan!

all your food is perfect as they only cook one portion

and you get to skip the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Bob wrote:
    Don't go in there with any preconceived notions of the place... be open minded, friendly and willing to put the effort into making friends. Like anything, you'll get out of it what you put into it so if you sit in the corner quietly it won't be much fun, but if you are friendly and chatty - even if you have to force yourself to be - then you'll enjoy it so much more.

Do not attempt to tell someone you like them using the Bob™ method. Neil (crash_000) will explain. ;)

don't do anything bob did is always a good thing :p

oh and make sure you don't get a crazy RA who doesn't know what the rules are for himself, never mind the children! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

To be honest it's as handy to swipe it from the canteen.
    Remember the "no offenders will be prosecuted" cutlery return bin? Leo thought we should steal it. :D

I've had enough of people complaining about the canteen food! It's not that bad! It might not be haut cuisine but it's not bad looking/tasting/etc. almost all of the time. Besides, it's only for 3 weeks. If it's not to your honed taste you can just put up for a while. Now lets not be so moaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Adesina

Thanks for all the responses. All very helpful. I'm doing Session 1, Medecine in the Lab for anyone who asked. Flashling what session and course you doing?

• Advertisement

Remember the "no offenders will be prosecuted" cutlery return bin? Leo thought we should steal it. :D

So did myself and Pierce, we just took a good idea that one step further... :D It was still on top of the vending machines when I left...

Adesina wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses. All very helpful. I'm doing Session 1, Medecine in the Lab for anyone who asked. Flashling what session and course you doing?
    are you any relation to babaera anne(sp?)

are you any relation to babaera anne(sp?)

No, i'm not. I'm a girl and i'm pretty sure she was talking about her son. Son = boy and as i am a girl i can't be her son.

well

I'm slow

/me runs away to avoid beatings

Big matthew Barrington afraid of getting beaten up by a 13 year old girl!

Don't worry I won 't beat you up (if I control my anger at being called a boy that is). And if you're slow, what are you doing at CTYI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Adesina wrote:
    And if you're slow, what are you doing at CTYI?
    Centre for Talented Youth, not intelligent youth. The ability to touch your nose with your tongue, or to dislocate all your joints at one time can be construed as talents (though CTYI obviously run a marginally more intellectual indoctrination, in the form of the SAT I tests). Don't go into CTYI expecting particularly intellectual conversation btw, you're more likely to run into people jabbering on about yu gi oh or whatever crap you kids are into these days.

Hey don't slag Yu Gi Oh!

Great show

I'm a wimp

i curl up in a ball and whimper

Centre for Talented Youth, not intelligent youth. The ability to touch your nose with your tongue, or to dislocate all your joints at one time can be construed as talents (though CTYI obviously run a marginally more intellectual indoctrination, in the form of the SAT I tests). Don't go into CTYI expecting particularly intellectual conversation btw, you're more likely to run into people jabbering on about yu gi oh or whatever crap you kids are into these days.

I didn't expect a load of intellectual conversations, discussions etc. as I can be really slow too. And there's nothing wrong with Yu Gi Oh either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I had loads of intellectual discussions... debating whether things can be both fuzzy and shiny at the same time.
    It's not possible, just isn't.

And, uh... well, there were probably intellectual discussions. Possibly......

Advertisement