Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm a wimp

i curl up in a ball and whimper

It's funny 'cause it's true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

I had a lot of conversations about Family Guy on my first day. Don't bring cutlery, you can easily take that from the canteen, as someone said (I think it was Guy). Bring a bowl. Many's a day I spent eating cereal out of a plastic cup at CTYI, and I only went there once.

And Kev, the food does suck. Don't you remember that crazy "movie" the Writing for Life class made about the evil food that had Jim's head, and Irwin dropping a piano, and all that? no? Anyone? Ok... Hehe, we called that guy Boris, you know the guy with the mustache who stood menacingly by the muffins to make sure you didn't take more than one? Crazy ol' Boris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Adesina wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses. All very helpful. I'm doing Session 1, Medecine in the Lab for anyone who asked. Flashling what session and course you doing?
    Ooooooooooooooooooo, Medicine In The Lab. I did that my first year. It's really good. Be prepared to disect a heart on the first or second day.

The instructor is Tony Walshe. I have some things you must say to him!

Ask him if the woman still thinks his name is Seamus.
    Tell him Kevin from '03, "likes the things you do!"
    Tell him he's the one and only Tony with the one and only laptop which I'm dissapointed is now an Apple.
    Tell him his lab-coat modeling career was worthless.
    Tell him to get some Solero Shots!

That is all.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the shizz nizz.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Chowburger wrote:
    Just as it is handy to swipe as many muffins as humanly possible from there when they're on offer.

Just make sure the mad dessert woman/man doesn't see you...
    What was with that woman? I took an apple and a banana once, and she actually came out from behind the counter and repossessed my banana, saying that we could only have one piece of fruit. Excuse me for trying to be healthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

She gave out to me for robbing the italians yoghurt! the cheek! Im practically italian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

She gave us two cookies each once. It was quite a miracle. We smiled politely, thanked her, and walked away pretending that we didn't already have two each in our pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I cried on friday when i realised i was finished college for the year and was watching yugi-oh on the last ever den. not really though. i'm too manly to cry :)

Bob you realise all the funny stories i'll have to tell in a "dont do things this way" way to people this year then? ALL of them involving you? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Excellent. Study SHOULD be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Neil, you know an awful, awful lot about me... absolutely none of it fit for anyone under the age of... well, anyone at all really. So I shall have to politely remind you of your aversion to poocock and my absolute desire for revenge! :p E.g. Plasticman cowering in his room for a good couple of hours re: a certain carton of juice incident! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Odd. I don't remember many difficulties with the food at all. I took numerous carrot cakes despite hating the damn things, and several packets of soda bread I then foolishly left in my bag and discovered after CTYI had ended....
    Yeah, that wasn't pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

I called Boris Vladmir. More Dracula-esque!

Yeah, money-making scams are good. There was:

1) The Great 2003 Muffin Ring
    2) The (Foiled) Drinks Escapade at the second disco
    3) Karlstock
    4) Frozen Toothbrushes (short-lived, that one...)

Feel free to add, for there were many more.

What was the name of the guy who was selling bottles of tap water at the '03 discos.

Rory and I tried to sell cups of water to the morning joggers in '03. That just attracted Sportugitalianards who were looking for gin. That was awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Adesina

Your all starting to make me very nervous about the food.
    Do I really get to dissect a heart? What does Tony Walshe look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I called Boris Vladmir. More Dracula-esque!

Yeah, money-making scams are good. There was:

1) The Great 2003 Muffin Ring
    2) The (Foiled) Drinks Escapade at the second disco
    3) Karlstock

Feel free to add, for there were many more.

I'll have you know, Karlstock was NOT moneymaking scam! All money went to the costs of the T-shirts!*
    I still have my t-shirt

Oh do go on....

*with a small profit to be had by Ian and Dave

I recomend a cup on a string to exchange stuff with the people below you (eg Jaffa Cakes, Chewing Gum, Poptarts)

Works a treat and is great fun provided to person below you doesn't smush your cup :mad: right Liam?

Adesina wrote:
    Your all starting to make me very nervous about the food.
    Do I really get to dissect a heart? What does Tony Walshe look like?
    Don't worry about the food. These babies are just whining.

Yeah you get to dissect a heart. There was much controversy over my dissection..... *ahem*

Tony Walshe looks like the instructor. You know, the guy who'll be standing infront of the class telling you all things about biology?
    If that doesn't help there's a picture of him (along with his CV) here.

Don't worry about the food. These babies are just whining.

Yeah you get to dissect a heart. There was much controversy over my dissection..... *ahem*

Tony Walshe looks like the instructor. You know, the guy who'll be standing infront of the class telling you all things about biology?
    If that doesn't help there's a picture of him (along with his CV) here.

So the foods not so bad?

Nah 's not bad really. Lasagne was quite nice. Also, you get watermelon, WATERMELON! As in: Nicest fruit EVAR! \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

well if you like meh food then its ok

i survived on chicken fillet bagguettes(sp?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

If you're a crap eater like me then I'd just forget the canteen food.Last year I didn't eat much of the stuff at dinner, because even if it was edible (which some people said it was) I just don't eat lasagnes and pasta and stuff like that.Some of the lunches were quite nice, chips, sausages, fish and bagels were all quite nice.Spar is good though, anyone who's real picky like me just eat out of there.The rolls are good.Don't just not eat though.That's not good.
    Did anyone else get the field trip spar lunches?Now that was a lunch.

And yeah Liz, that wasn't me I swear, twas irrelevant Barry.That was pretty fun though, that food swapping pully thing.

Dont lie! It was totally you!

• Advertisement

In fairness now, the food has gotten better over the years. i think i'll be very thankful for the free food this year - i might just be growing accustomed to canteen food though (there is no way it can be worse than the buttery - so you're getting better food than the stuff i pay for every week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

LiamD wrote:
    Did anyone else get the field trip spar lunches?Now that was a lunch.

They could have been good, if the Spar people hadn't taken it into their heads to put some really weird concoctions of ingredients into the sandwiches.

Yeah i always wondered wtf they were on at that point :P

The lasagne is nice if you LIKE breadcrumbs on lasagne.
    Although admittedly it is nice, even with the breadcrumbs.

Otherwise I found the food rather tolerable. Never ate it on Tuesday though, since that seemed to be "let's deep fry everything!" day, and also due to RA meeting we kept missing the queue, and as such got sandwiches from spar. And those were gooood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Just to point out again

Spar is nice

had 3 rolls from there in one day

was nice

I've had food from that Spar before, twas nice, I wouldn't mind living on Spar food for three weeks (though my parents bank balance might)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

dont' think about it too much.
    just go, have fun and be yourself but open to change/other viewpoints and perceptions. getting too excited can disappoint, and too much nervousness is terrible because life is so short.
    bring a toothbrush, maybe some clothes, and the ability to pull doors instead of pushing them and you'll do just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

Speaking of money making scams, don't forget my begging at the second disco in session 2 last year. I got about 15 euro in change just from going around begging. Plastic cups are useful in so many situations...

Nah, don't pull OR push doors. Just kick them open. Worked most of the time for me and it makes everything look so much more dramatic.

disclaimer: ...those doors were broken before I got there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Adesina wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses. All very helpful. I'm doing Session 1, Medecine in the Lab for anyone who asked. Flashling what session and course you doing?

Session 1, philosophy. I didn't get medicine, darn you!

You'll see me there anyways, I'm the really tall one, with the short brown hair. (attractive combonation, I know! :rolleyes: )

Advertisement