Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick Q!!

Options
  • 11-06-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Jus wonderin if anyone is being given incentives to study from their parents?

My boyfriend is gettin a car, a new giutar AND his dad is payin for his holiday if he gets over 400 POINTS!!

I get friggin nothin! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I'm not getting any but tbh I don't want any, I'm doing the leaving for myself not my parents (or whoever) so I don't want a 'reward' just cos they're happy with my results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

If i get over 430 I get to not have to go back to second level pisshole school. Some ****in incentive that is.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

There was an article in the Independent's Review section about this today... my mam hasn't offered my any incentives and I haven't asked but I know she'll ask me do I want a present after the exams... which is when I shall get my Lions jersey. :)

Not many of my mates have been offered incentives... but not getting kicked out of the house now that you're out of school should be bloody well enough! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

*Angel* wrote:
    I'm not getting any but tbh I don't want any, I'm doing the leaving for myself not my parents (or whoever) so I don't want a 'reward' just cos they're happy with my results.

wtf? you not want money or a car or i dunno dolls. up with monetary insentives, down with self pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shelleEire

ya rite.. i wish i was gettin sumting. two months of summer without exams is reward enuf 4 me i think! happiness in simple tings !! but a friend of mine is getting a euro for every point. how lucky. id be studying now instead of on this if that was me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

wtf? you not want money or a car or i dunno dolls. up with monetary insentives, down with self pride.

Definitely not for the amount of points I get, I wouldn't mind something for having completed the leaving regardless of how many points I got.

dolls? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

For every point I get in August, I get €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i got an oxegen ticket(two day camping) in advance which i thought was a very nice gift :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭2e

For every point I get in August, I get €1.
    Same here... If I manage the impossible and manage to get 600 (highly unlikely) I get a grand :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

yeah alot of my friends are getting cars, their holiday paid for, or two of them are getting a certain amount for every A, i think its about €150-€200

i dont want anything like that, my mom is treating me after the exams though, nothing to do with results. totally agree, im doing this for me-to see what i can do etc etc.. sounds like sour grapes though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Lol if i get 450 i get a car, if i get 475 i get car and insurance, and if i get 490+i get a car, insurance and paid rent for a year :D

Thank god my dad gets drunk...lol/...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

My parents are split, so I bribed Mum to give me 1euro a point, and my dad to give me 2euro a point, each not knowing about the others :D shhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Won't be asking for anything. Incentives haven't been mentioned. Got ALOT for graduating and that was easy lol. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a guitar amp.

didn't ask for it, more like "you can't play your 1400 euro guitar on a crappy little amp you bought for 50 euros".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

"If you fail anything I'll break your arms."

Is that an incentive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

My brother got two flying lessons. I don't think I want anything and the subject hasn't come up. My GCD course is being paid for so I suppose that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I get a laptop when I'm done the exams. but that's more because I'm leaving home so I'll need a new computer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

If I get over 450 points i get over 450 points..

... im getting nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

For every point I get, I get €1. For every point I get above 200 I get €2. The only reason I'd say my parents are doing this is because they know bloody well I won't get that many points above 200. LOL! The bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Yeah, I have an incentive.

For every point BELOW 600, i get a boot in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Jus wonderin if anyone is being given incentives to study from their parents?

My boyfriend is gettin a car, a new giutar AND his dad is payin for his holiday if he gets over 400 POINTS!!

I get friggin nothin! :mad:

thats just stupid. Easy for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

On the radio last week there was a mother on the marian funniucan show (Excuse the spelling) and she was getting her son a prostitute if he got a certain amount of points.. Can you imagine if that was your mother just a thought but wouldn't be embarrased as hell..

Personally i got a loan of 200 from my rents earler in the year to pay for flights of a hol and i reckon they'll just leave that slide,but that a huge present me thinks and all i can say to ye getting cars guitar etc,lucky for some, but anyone who needs an incentive really shouldnt bother doin it..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I'm not getting an incentive per say. Haven't been offered anything like, oh if you get 500 points you get blah.

But if I get enough points to get my course, then my parents are buying a house for me to live in by the college, and are giving me a car and insurance so I can drive home at weekends and that. So that's a pretty good incentive.

Plus the way I see it we get soooo many incentives to do the Leaving Cert anyway. I mean I can't work during this year because of the exams, so my parents have been giving me money for everything i've wanted. Oxegen, pixies, bloc party, holidays.

*Roisin* wrote:
    I'm not getting an incentive per say. Haven't been offered anything like, oh if you get 500 points you get blah.

But if I get enough points to get my course, then my parents are buying a house for me to live in by the college, and are giving me a car and insurance so I can drive home at weekends and that. So that's a pretty good incentive.

Plus the way I see it we get soooo many incentives to do the Leaving Cert anyway. I mean I can't work during this year because of the exams, so my parents have been giving me money for everything i've wanted. Oxegen, pixies, bloc party, holidays.

wtf. I can understand getting somewhere to stay. But my god,thats insane. Apart from your education, your getting ,say +€7000 of things bought for you, NOT including the house they are apparently buying you. And that not an incentive? As far as i know, im getting nada. Never even crossed my mind of being rewarded until reading this thread.

Not really.

The house and car they're buying me are nessesscities. It's cheaper to buy a house and have other students in paying rent, than having my parents shell out rent to someone else. They want to buy another house anyway so that works out. It won't be mine til I finish college, so really it's not an incentive.

The car they were always gonna buy me, I've been promised since I was small, so also not an incentive for the leaving cert. As for all the stuff I got during the year, I'd have gotten all those anyway. I'm 18, how am I supposed to get a full time job to pay for those? The way my parents see it is that I have all my life for working and earning money so they don't want me to start just yet. They want me to enjoy life, which is partly why they buy those things for me.

My parents don't mind what I get in my Leaving Cert so long as I'm happy with it, and have my health. The only way it could be seen as an incentive is that I don't have to worry about anything, and so have more time to consentrate on study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

GDM wrote:
    My brother got two flying lessons. I don't think I want anything and the subject hasn't come up. My GCD course is being paid for so I suppose that counts.

i think 15,000 euro counts!!!

*Roisin* wrote:
    I'm 18, how am I supposed to get a full time job to pay for those?

em....the same way every other 18 year old does. Who mentioned full time. The only way in hell, my parents would get me any tickets etc, was if i was going to pay them back every penny.
    The car they were always gonna buy me, I've been promised since I was small, so also not an incentive for the leaving cert.

Oh,Well in that case than.:rolleyes:

I am in school 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for 2 years now.

My parents want me to enjoy the very very rare free time I have off. I appreciate everything I get from them. And I agree with it 100%.

TimAy wrote:
    Oh,Well in that case than.:rolleyes:

EXCUSE me?! I answered a question I was asked. That gives you no right what so ever to begrudge me what I have. It's hardly my problem that you don't get the same as I do. Petty jealous is never a pretty thing.

• Advertisement

*Roisin* wrote:
    I am in school 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for 2 years now.

Fair Enough. So am i though.
    *Roisin* wrote:
    My parents want me to enjoy the very very rare free time I have off. I appreciate everything I get from them. And I agree with it 100%.

Very Rare?Um, all the tickets,holidays etc, all take place in summer, the 3/4 months of free time you have off.
    It's hardly my problem that you don't get the same as I do. Petty jealous is never a pretty thing.

Congradulations on completely missing the point. I wouldn't take a car if my parents handed it to me on a plate so you can throw your jealous arguement out the window. Of course you answered the question-It's another arguement, still doesnt mean i agree with it though. Anyway im not going to start a big arguement

Advertisement