Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick Q!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

*Roisin* wrote:
    Not really.

It won't be mine til I finish college, so really it's not an incentive.

oh yeah, well then.....NOT. Jesus, a house??!!! that's an incredible incentive

afaik, my brother has told me my parents are going to get me a phone (it's a surprise!) becase me one is sh*te and broken

Apart from that I'm going to get that little slip of paper in august

(oh, I tell a lie, they are leting me use our apartment in Spain for a week with two of my friends)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

*Roisin* wrote:
    I am in school 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for 2 years now.

ok i've only read ur posts now. From the above quote we can see your in a private school? Thats a luxury or present that u should be grateful for.

A house and car are not neccesities(sp?) - seriously, u have gone to school like the rest of us, some have worked harder than u with no such reward. I wouldn't take a house and car, i'd like to earn stuff myself with hard work not being spoon fed by your parents.

If u are excessively rich my points are invalid which i suspect u are. Still can't believe how spoilt some people can be, who think that this is to be expected. Ahhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I'm not aguing either.

The three months off is the rare free time I have off. I get up at half 5 to drive 3 hours to school everymorning 6 days a week, and the same home in the evening. So when I have weekends I sleep. My parents appreciate the effort I put in for school, and want me to really enjoy my summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

*Roisin* wrote:
    I'm not aguing either.

The three months off is the rare free time I have off. I get up at half 5 to drive 3 hours to school everymorning 6 days a week, and the same home in the evening. So when I have weekends I sleep. My parents appreciate the effort I put in for school, and want me to really enjoy my summer.

Fair Enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

Jus wonderin if anyone is being given incentives to study from their parents?

My boyfriend is gettin a car, a new giutar AND his dad is payin for his holiday if he gets over 400 POINTS!!

I get friggin nothin! :mad:

I think im getting all that if i get over a hundred... yeah right lol!

• Advertisement

so roisin do u go to a private school?

Unless u live on a boat somewhere off the coast of 'galway' there is always a school closer to u than 3 hours

I do not have to justify ANYTHING i get to anybody. Alot of the arguments I'm getting back any are based on pure begrudary.

Yes, for me, living in the middle of nowhere, a car IS a nessicity. I cannot rely on a bus service as there is none. I cannot rely on my parents to pick me up or drive me anywhere as I have a disabled sister who needs constant attention, and the car to drive her to the hospital and physio.

I didn't say I was getting a new car. I am getting a car, but it will be far from new.

To be honest, most of you are coming across as being petty. I am getting things, which for my circumstances are nessicities (still can't spell that word). Also it is within my parents means to give these to me. The crime would be if I did not appreciate these things, which I do.

Get off ye're morally high horses. A phone, a appartment in Spain are luxuries other people can't afford either, but you can't blame me for unequal wealth in the world.

so roisin do u go to a private school?

Unless u live on a boat somewhere off the coast of 'galway' there is always a school closer to u than 3 hours

Funny to mention it, yeah i pretty much do. Ever hear of a little thing called traffic love? Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Lol some of you people are getting waaay too much stuff - honestly if i got even some of the stuff you're getting i'd be eaten up with guilt for my parents spending money on me in the first place. I mean, finishing secondary school isn't something to be rewarded for, you should be damn well thankful you have to opportunity to a rich education in the first place. I think if my parent's have provided with money to get me on the road to a good college, then they've done enough. I mean they'll have to fund me for college next year, as i'm sure they'll do (on some level) for everyone. Surely that's enough. Some of you people are rich, spoiled brats.

I'm not denying that I'm wealthy, why is that something I should apologise for?

And by assuming I'm spoilt, just because I'm rich, really shows yourself in a good light. A bigoted, sterotypical reliant fool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I wouldn't say its an incentive what i am gettin but its gym membership to pass away the boring days of the summer until i go to college and for the whole year in college. I would never in a million years ask for a car or anything like that. In my own opinion and i dont want anyone to go mad at me. But i would never ask my parents for that because they have given me everything I wanted to a certain extent and i would rather have something because i earn it not because I do exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Last year I got 50 euro per A1, but if I got an A1 in Irish I got 75. Also got 75 if I got a B1 or higher in maths and 75 if I got an A in English. And my dad offered me a car if I got the best in the school.

I think he regretted it, I got 5 A1s including Irish, an A2 in English, a B1 in maths and the top in the school :D I didn't take the car though I felt guilty about how much it'd cost so he insured me on his instead

*Roisin* wrote:
    Get off ye're morally high horses. A phone, a appartment in Spain are luxuries other people can't afford either, but you can't blame me for unequal wealth in the world.

well morals are something i live by so for me if i get something i feel i have to earn it.

I don't blame u for unequal distribution of wealth and fair play for ur appreciation of it!!

I don't wana talk about this anymore. Hope u get ur course anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

*Roisin* wrote:

In all fairness, they are letting me use the apartment for a week, when it was going to be free anyway - I'm not goin to own it!

All the stuff just seems a bit excessive when you don't explain that you actually need some of it - it doesn't sound as if it's for your LC anyway

:)

I do feel I've earned it. I worked very hard alongside my parents to set up my fathers business. That's why I get to share in the profits.

I'm not talking about it either, just wanna say i'm not a bad person, honest :)

Hope you get your course as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

On another note I have to say this leaving cert forum shows how stressful these times are because in a good few of the threads someone ends up having a fight.

But remember only 12 days left officaly so calm down no need to go mad!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

why is everyone boasting about what they're getting it's pathetic not everyone can afford incentives and ye just sound like spoilt brats "oh i'm getting this " "no wait i'm coming out better i'm getting this " guys in fairness it's not important who cares what anyone else is getting and as for people getting on their high horse and trying to make out that everyone is "begrudging" them , get off it thats just silly , it was your choice to post your boast so deal with the consequences which are peoples opinions and by the way necessities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Sorry, let me rephrase my "rich, spoiled brats" comment. I still think that people that get OTT incentives - like cars, big holidays abroad, large sums of money - are very much spoiled teenagers. However, in the majority of cases, parents cannot honestly afford the kind of luxuries you deem 'deserved'. I mean, doesn't anyone that gets big luxuries like that feel even a tinge of guilt at the fact that you could be draining a large chunk of your parents' savings accounts because you feel like you need a huge present for something that is reward enough (good education, passage into college.)?

If you're filthy rich then by all means get what you want, but the majority of parents aren't on the rich end of the scale, and yet still feel obliged to cough up a costly reward for their kids. Very wrong i think.

Sorry if i sounded cliché or stereotypicial, but can you see my point?

*Roisin* wrote:
    I'm not denying that I'm wealthy, why is that something I should apologise for?

And by assuming I'm spoilt, just because I'm rich, really shows yourself in a good light. A bigoted, sterotypical reliant fool.

what are you on about you just proved you're spoilt "i'm getting this and that" why don't you just make a new thread explaining how wealthy you are you know you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I say, lock the thread, or give up the arguement. Its Leaving Cert, not thunderdome.

• Advertisement

TimAy wrote:
    I say, lock the thread, or give up the arguement. Its Leaving Cert, not thunderdome.

sorry for getting argumentive (lets blame 'time of the month') i'm finished and i agree with you timAy

I say lock it too. I know I've done nothing wrong, and could argue that all day. But this has moved to being nothing related to the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Do you do loans Roisin? You know i'm good for it. COME ONNN.

<Jonny> wrote:
    Do you do loans Roisin? You know i'm good for it. COME ONNN.

we know who to go to, to lighten up a situation :D

Well I'm sure on receipt of an approapiate business plan, my financial consultants could do you quite a good deal. It would of course require you signing away your life to me though, me being the devil and all :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

I want to dye my hair red but cant cause i have to start work after leaving!

I want to get my lip pierced, but it'll be over a month before I'd be able to put a keeper in. I'm gonna work a few hours as a waitress, maybe once a week, and my boss would KILL me.

and you'd be fired for having red hair ??

Can they do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

A pint for every point.
    Naa I'm getting nothing. My dad said if I didn't study, I'd be kicking myself in the future. And so will he. There's the incentive.

Oh wait, the parents are paying me to go away for a weekend which is pretty deadly.

Advertisement