Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Semperit tyres SUCK!

Options
  • 11-06-2005 6:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me? I had a set of these a while back on a Colt when I couldn't afford my usual Yokohamas[1], and found them awful. Noisy, squealy things with terrible grip and the kind of lifespan you'd expect out of a serious performance tyre. I never bought them again but my beamer came with a set and they were the exact same -- they squeal if you apply the right foot even the tiniest bit more than you should, if you do the same in the corner you will fishtail[2], and they couldn't have gone more than 7k before one of them caused me to fail my NCT. Now I'm back on Yokohamas and there isn't a peep out of them, and the grip is incredible[3]. If I'd known it was all down to the Semperits I would've dumped them they day I bought the car.

adam

[1] This was after the market had improved a bit. A couple years before, it was cheaper for me to get a courier to collect a set of Yokohamas in the UK than to buy any set of 195/50/15's in Cork.
    [2] Admittedly enormous fun, but in the long run I'd prefer the grip.
    [3] Same on the Colt. Honest to god neutral steer, if you pushed too hard the whole car just gently slid out until you lifted off. Beautiful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes had them on a car years ago. They were crap back then too and screached when you cornered anyway hard. I found them and Bridgestones to be rubish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think RWD is partially to blame I have (me runs out to check) Lassa Miratta tyres who? which emit a nice squeal from the back end on warm tarmac. They have'nt spun me yet though....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Semperit are the wrong tyres for a performance car (or driver?) but I love them as they seem to be fairly soft and give great ride comfort on crappy roads! Wet grip ain't too bad either but yes, they do wear out very quick (I only get about 10-12k miles on the front ones (FrontWD)).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Mike, Colt was FWD, beamer's RWD, same squeaks. I've come to associate squeaks with bad tyres, because any other rubbish tyres I've driven on have squeaked, and any other good tyres I've driven on haven't. Dunno about the truth in reality there though. :)

damo605, the differing ride quality thing sounds weird to me. The sidewalls in whatever other tyres you were using must've been bizarre.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

dahamsta wrote:
    damo605, the differing ride quality thing sounds weird to me. The sidewalls in whatever other tyres you were using must've been bizarre.

adam

I've had Sempirets, Firestones (rock hard), Continentals, some wierd cheap make and Semperits again under my Safrane and honestly the smoothest ride without doubt has been the Semperits!!! There's a really noticable differance in my opinion.... I put it down to them being soft and hence I suppose that's why they wear out so quick!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Why is the Avon zv1 tyre so hard to get here ?
    It's reasonably cheap, displaces water like Holland, and has good dry weather grip.
    Man why am I mail ordering tyres from U.K. it's ridiculous !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The range or tyres (or lack of) is down to the market and the distributors, some companies will spend the money to have a range of tyres for sale here others just won't bother.

That said I've found an address for Avon -

Glanworth Tyres Ltd.
    Mr. Lance O'Riordan, Director
    1 Main Street East
    Glanworth
    County Cork
    Republic of Ireland
    Tel: + 353-25-38173
    Fax: + 353-35-38351

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damo605 wrote:
    I've had Sempirets, Firestones (rock hard), Continentals, some wierd cheap make and Semperits again under my Safrane and honestly the smoothest ride without doubt has been the Semperits!!! There's a really noticable differance in my opinion.... I put it down to them being soft and hence I suppose that's why they wear out so quick!?!
    I honestly doubt anyone would be able to discern a difference in ride quality due to differing rubber compounds found on road tyres. I think it's more likely a major design difference.

Trying to get Yokohamas in Cork has always been tricky, they don't bother marketing them for some reason. Only reason the guy I go to will get them for me is that I keep going back.

adam

Advertisement