Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Forum?

• 11-06-2005 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Why does punk get its own forum and metal doesn't? its just not fair

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

whats the point, metal these days is terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

How, precisely does this affect anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

OLP wrote:
    whats the point, metal these days is terrible

Completely untrue. What about Fightstar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Neil3030 wrote:
    Completely untrue. What about Fightstar?

:D

tbh though, 90% of the rock/metal is topics on the metal......

It's the young'un's fault. They need to listen to more oldsk0ol stuff. Bleedin' whippersnappers, with their "new metal" and their angst...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Why does punk get its own forum and metal doesn't? its just not fair

Dear god... Is this board called Rock/Country, or have I gone totally blind? :confused:

What the hell is the problem? Has someone snuck in rules that you can't post about Metal here and I wasn't aware of it, or is this just some whine for the needless segregation of the boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

With a lot of bands theres a very fine line between which is which, a lot more so than with punk. Theres so many bands that are simply nigh on impossable to fit into one of the two as they overlap too much to be seperated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

This forum is predominantly metal oriented anyway, so what's the problem? If metal were given a separate forum, this place would die overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

There are so many good metal bands around today(nothing like the 80's but) arch enemy, exodus, metallica, megadeth, Machine Head, Maiden etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Metal is still alive and kicking! Especially progressive metal!

www.progarchives.com

^^see?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

The guy who said metal today sucked was largely right, lol.
    I wish the uber-heavy gore/death/black/psycho/stabyouintheeye metal was isolated into its own little deranged forum, cause its just annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

i hate all the new metal bands these days, we need more bands along the lines of maiden, metallica, slayer, anthrax, pantera and none of this death metal, speed metal, forest flamengo metal crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Start up a Fightstar forum says me. We can't have their fresh cuthroat rage-metal discussed on a board that might also have sissies like Opeth or Pantera on it....

OLP wrote:
    i hate all the new metal bands these days, we need more bands along the lines of maiden, metallica, slayer, anthrax, pantera and none of this death metal, speed metal, forest flamengo metal crap

Haha very true, lol "forest metal"!
    I could probably record myself murdering people with a chainsaw, and pass it off as the "metal" record of the year. It's gone beyond a joke, at this stage. Metal needs to come back down to earth, none of that fantasy, or deathgore nonsense.

OLP wrote:

Yer, 'cos rehashing the same old crap again and again is the way forward! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

most of you have obviously never listened to a death/black metal album I see :rolleyes:

^Hmm, thats true, I haven't. I've only heard the odd song. I honestly can't abide it though. And yeah, the guy who said we shouldn't re-hash the same crap is right... there is a glimmer of hope in some new metal bands

There's plenty of amazing music still in Metal, and some great bands emerging. Mastodon anyone?

Thrice

I've started listening to Hammerfall, Testament, and Children Of Bodom recently.

Fo0kin' excellent, so they are.

• Advertisement

Have you heard Sonata Arctica, Sarky? They might be just the thing for you. Excellent band altogether.

Not yet, I'm still busy cracking up over Bodom's cover of The Final Countdown. :)

Sarky wrote:
    Not yet, I'm still busy cracking up over Bodom's cover of The Final Countdown. :)

We should seriously get a few cans and make a night of listening to my CD Collection. Cracking up will only be the start of it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, as Karl says, Sonata Arctica are very good. Also try Edguy or perhaps Freedom Call.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dear god... Is this board called Rock/Country, or have I gone totally blind? :confused:

What the hell is the problem? Has someone snuck in rules that you can't post about Metal here and I wasn't aware of it, or is this just some whine for the needless segregation of the boards?

true but i hate the way people post about foo fighters chilli peppers etc here.would prefer all metal...
    what comes under the heading of rock is ridiculous.... nearly all bollox....
    it was lol in HMV yesterday,some of the bands they have under metal ...and on one stall there was not one metal band under the metal heading lol...

as for what i like death metal etc :) i stay away from most black because most of them are crazy/nazi/omg he did that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

byte wrote:
    Yeah, as Karl says, Sonata Arctica are very good. Also try Edguy or perhaps Freedom Call.
    ditto to recommendation of Sonata Arctica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Sarky wrote:

Children of Bodom never covered The Final Countdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thats right, it was Norther as far as i know, but people assume its CoB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

aaaah nu metal... "there's a white man on stage... rapping about his pain"

are you dead tree music people soooo exclusive that you won't even countenance someone starting a thread about a band who sell more t-shirts than your favourite band, or dont wear silly makeup?????

granted, the musical tastes and errrr.... aesthetic refinement of your typical boards head is not exactly of a stellar nature, at least not judging by the vast majority of the posters on the hip hop and electronica boards, i'd be surprised if it was much different here, but why is it that of all musical genres [excepting perhaps purist detroit techno] metal is THE snobbiest around??? i know you were all bullied in school by the boys who played rugby and ad girlfriends, but thats no reason to take it out on the world....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Enough of the pointless segregation. Metal, rock, punk rock, whatever, they're all coming from the same place. Being exposed to things you are unfamiliar with is healthy, it encourages you to think and helps develop your ability to accept things you may not agree with. What is the point of separating everything to it's own little space? It will kill discussion and all that will exist will be "I like Band X" "I Like Them Too" "Yeah, they're good" and what the **** is the point of that? Open your minds people. There is only good and bad music. Every other category is there to help the folks at HMV shepherd you into a little corner so they can take more €€€ out of your pocket money. Make it your business to be exposed to new music, different music. Don't be scared to like more than one kind of music. Without the Beatles and the Blues there wouldn't have been any Black Sabbath. Without Black Sabbath none of the aforementioned bands would exist. Every Metal band is the product of their influences and you can't truly understand a band without knowing where they came from and most, if not all of them, will name a long list of Rock and Pop bands as what they listened to growing up. Segregation is a nasty by-product of the business side of music. Don't encourage that sort of bull****. Music is music, categories are ****ing stupid.

Advertisement