Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Forum?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vindictive_miss

*is regreting making thread* mainly because you all jumped to the conclusion that i'm some nu-metal loving "young'un" but also because some of you (mainly doctor J) made good points about conversation dying. I was thinking its strange that punk is separated from rock and metal when most people who like punk would listen to some rock/metal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

you all jumped to the conclusion that i'm some nu-metal loving "young'un"

I had to go over the thread again just to make sure, but wtf are you talking about? I can't see where anyone accused you, or make any assumption of the sort.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

vindictive_miss, you're just a nu-metal loving "young'un" :D

Only joking..

Anyway, good post Doctor J. The amount of categories and sub-categories nowadays are a tad carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - and anyway - ever since the Rock/Metal - Punk split - the punk board's been pretty damn quiet. Segergation is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yep - and anyway - ever since the Rock/Metal - Punk split - the punk board's been pretty damn quiet. Segergation is bad.

Yeah, punk is dead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

byte wrote:
    Anyway, good post Doctor J. The amount of categories and sub-categories nowadays are a tad carried away.

I'd actually disagree with Herr Doktor there. Genres are there for a reason, and that's to give an indication of what a band might sound like. Hence why we'd called Pink Floyd 'Prog Rock' and Carcass 'Death Metal' and Linkin Park '****e'. It's basically a very vague discription. But it's not the Genres or descriptions we should be annoyed at, it's the people who put to much concern in the genre rather than the music itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd actually disagree with Herr Doktor there. Genres are there for a reason, and that's to give an indication of what a band might sound like. Hence why we'd called Pink Floyd 'Prog Rock' and Carcass 'Death Metal' and Linkin Park '****e'. It's basically a very vague discription. But it's not the Genres or descriptions we should be annoyed at, it's the people who put to much concern in the genre rather than the music itself.

exactly.i would like to actually find the music i like in a shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I can handle basic categorisation but the level it gets filtered down to is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous. It's almost getting to the extent that every band has their own categorisation and, to be honest, there isn't one good band I can think of who neatly sit in any category without straying frequently into other supposed genres so therefore what is the point. Categories are like political boundaries on a map, you can't see them in real life because they don't exist, because someone made them up to separate things for some reason, in this case it's largely marketing and business reasons... listen to the music, that's the important thing. Personally I have a hard time finding the boundaries between punk and metal and rock, let alone speed metal, thrash metal and sub-scandinavian power forest groove metal and any other genres you could care to make up or have kerrang, who seem to have jumped back onto the metal bandwagon now that it's getting trendy again, tell you exists.

Categorisation is for supermarkets, it has no place in art IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

as for what i like death metal etc :) i stay away from most black because most of them are crazy/nazi/omg he did that!
    Because someone's political views outside the music are much scarier than singing about being "addicted to vaginal skin" or being "****ed with a knife"? :P
    (I'm aware you probably don't listen to Cannibal Corpse, so the joke is kinda invalid)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

dont mean to point to a different forum,
    but www.ultimatemetal.com has a sizeable amounts of forums dedicated to individual bands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Sarky wrote:
    Not yet, I'm still busy cracking up over Bodom's cover of The Final Countdown. :)

Jaysus, The Andrew wk cover was horrible but that takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

I think some people are too obsessed with what genre of music they like and what that makes them. Like, if they listen to rock music then they're a 'rocker'. I know a few people who are so obsessed with their label that they won't even talk to skangers or anyone that likes a different type of music, and they have to wear certain clothes and wear certain shoes. Also, I don't like the way people seperate themselves because of what music they like. For instance, Skangers. Skangers hate me because I like different music to them. I get called a 'goth' just because I wear black clothes and eyeliner, even though I don't consider myself to be a goth. I'm just me. I get abuse thrown at me because i'm not like them. Don't you guys think people are a bit too obsessed with music sometimes...? It's just music, and so what if two genres share a board, who cares?

I know this probably sounds stupid, and it's probably too late or something, but I'm tired and been drinking a bit... So shh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Doctor J wrote:
    "....the metal bandwagon now that it's getting trendy again,"

this made me laugh out very very loud. METAL WILL never BE TRENDY AGAIN.
    Doctor J wrote:
    Categorisation is for supermarkets, it has no place in art IMO.

This made me nod my head in passionate agreement! well done that man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Okay, what Vindictive-miss was saying was that it would be handier to have seperate forums so that people could locate threads on topics that they were interested in more easily. She was not however, saying that people couldn't use both forums or listen to both types of music. I don't agree with the "categorisation is stupid" rule. How else would you be able to find new music that you might like, or buy cds? It's perfectly possible to like loads of different types of music, no matter how it's categorised, it's just a matter of convenience.

this made me laugh out very very loud. METAL WILL never BE TRENDY AGAIN.

Oh no? As I walked up Harcourt Street last night at 2am I heard GnR coming out of one of those poxy nightclubs. The mainstream is coming back to Metal, even Kerrang are writing about Metal bands again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

i know its pedantic, but GnR aren't really a metal band.

and out of curiousity, when was metal trendy before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the 80's I believe..
    it was the hair.

Indeed, perhaps trendy isn't the appropriate term, let's call it a position where the mainstram doesn't shun music of distorted guitar origin. If you wan't to be really pedantic you could say that Harcourt Street nightclubs aren't an entirely reliable indicator of society's perception of music but hey, let's not get too caught up in the itty bitty details. Metal bands are getting on the radio and TV, gig attendances are up, there are more Metal gigs being promoted here, even Metal fashions are being worn by the masses, the worm is turning back this way again there can be no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the mainstream never did shun music of a distorted guitar origin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Garnvic

hello friends,
    i know alot of people dont like the whole "new wave american metal" thing but if old school is wat you want then buy "shadows fall,art of balance" or anything by "god forbid" definatly slayer influenced.
    i dont care wat people think about the latest metal bands "chimaira" are one of the best metal bands around.
    please agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Garnvic wrote:
    i dont care wat people think about the latest metal bands "chimaira" are one of the best metal bands around.
    please agree.
    I agree,Chimaira are the best NEW(not nu) metal band out there.
    They seem to be a lot like Slayer or Pantera

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Chimaira is preety good. although Killswitch Engage is overrated as hell

none of the bands come close to 80's thrash greatness though

I did think killswitch were better,but The End of Heartache was bad,Alive or just breathing is way better.
    Chimaira are probably the closest to old school you can get but also bringing
    sumtin new aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I love "Alive or just Breathing". Haven't got into "The End of Heartache" much. I think Jesse Leach's vocals were amazing and it's taking a while for the new guy to grow on me.

As regards a Metal forum, this IS the metal forum!

i like it being Rock/metal.coz i want to see all the threads talking about slayer and metallica to be broken up with ones about Queens of the stone age etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Hmmm, I wish people would leave old skool metal behind...
    For me, the best metal band out there right now (though not strictly metal at all times) are Thrice.

Advertisement