Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a router be turned into a server.

Options
  • 11-06-2005 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

I have a zyxel prestige router from bt and its not being used, since this has a small OS inside it is there any way of flashing this router and attaching it to my network to make it a web server for my web page, im not sure if this is possible to do, but it would save having to build a computer just to be a web server.

Any ideas if its possible?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You might be able to put some files in it, if it has a TFTP server built in.

Some units can be flashed with Linux which could do more but don't have the memory or interfaces to take more memory to use as a server.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah you see im not sure if it has TFTP, but is there any websites with info on this sort of thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The short answer is NO you can't

longer answer is that some hackers have stored files on the hard drives of printers. I'd be shocked if the router had more than a few MB of ram if even that so there. You could see how much room there is by downloading the firmware. You could then edit it and put your web site in along with the routers configuration web site , not easy in fact bloody near impossible without help from the people who designed the thing. Makes putting your photo into the BIOS of your computer dead easy by comparison.

Oh BTW: if you allow your web site to be shared from the router then all the bad guys would be able to edit it's config too..

yeah was thinking that, ah well, ill get onto bt to get my 100mb webspace because for some reason my number went ex directory and they wont do the signup over the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Nah, can't be done, probably. You should have gone with a Linksys (there's a whole community built up around running Linux on those).

• Advertisement

Interesting - wern't linksys bought by Cisco and aren't Cisco using/planning to use linux on their low end switches. Also many Older Cisco Switches use PCMCIA Flash cards..

yeah i noticed that my router can be hacked in to (i mean the software not from the internet) and that there is lots of things you can add to it, but i dont want to feck up my router, i also noticed that there is a pcmcia wireless card inside it.

Advertisement