Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How were you introduced to Disc world?

• 11-06-2005 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Question in the title, apoligies if its already been done.

I was introduced to the books by my brother when I was about 10 who enjoyed reading them. The newer books arent as good as the old ones, lost some momemtum,some of the new ones really werent up to scratch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I got The Hogfather as an X-mas present and was hooked from then on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

A friend of mine made me read Good Omens, loved it so much I had to
    get more, so I found Colour of Magic.... Rincewind is such a good character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

My friend gave me a lend of the point and click game Discworld 2. I loved the humour in it so sought out the books. Started with the colour of magic as it was the first and had rincewind in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

Yeah, but twoflowers rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Went to a friends house in first year in Secondary and she had a row of books with colourful spines. Being the human equivalent of a magpie I was naturally attracted to them so I borrowed one, loved it and the rest, as they say, was history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I asked my sister for a good book to read for a car trip, she found me Good Omens. Some time later in a library I saw Pyramids and thought "Hey, this is by Terry Pratchett too, it's probably a good laugh, whatever it's about..."

I was right...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 baz^

my bro gave me Jingo, and I got about halfway through and gave up, because I didn't like it, then a few years later I read The Fifth Elephant and got totally addicted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Read a review of the text-based adventure of the Colour of Magic for the ZX Spectrum, which mentioned the book of course, and it seemed worth giving a go (actually, so did the game from that review, but I never did).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Saw my mother reading lords and ladies when I was alot younger, thought the cover looked cool and asked if I could read it after her.

Farking fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

A friend gave me Guards Guards to read, after i read it I devourded every book by Pratchett I could get.

Even his "Bad Books" are good compared to most stuff in the genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

When I was in school a friend used to always read them. He gave me a loan of the first book and I havent looked back since!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Around August of last year when I was living in France a french fellow was always talking about them so he gave me "Thief of Time". I subsequently read about 10 books in a few months. Great for a laugh, but sometime you need to break the cycle and read some real stuff between all the Pratchetts.

Advertisement