Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to get internet access on Vodafone 3G RTG?

Options
  • 11-06-2005 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought a new Nokia 6680, fantastic phone, but now that I want to use it Vodafone have a problem with it :)

Apparently they don't provide email service to their RTG customers, and by email they mean internet (anything other than web).

I can connect to the MMS access point, and the Live! access point, which has proxy access to the web. So I can surf web sites etc.

However, if I want to use Putty for SSH access or Email or anything else on the internet that is not web (HTTP) I get an error saying "Packet data connection not available".

When I contacted their support and told them I can't connect to isp.vodafone.ie access point I was told that they don't provide this service to RTG customers.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

I haven't tried setting up a connection over GSM, and to be honest I'd hate to be paying per-minute charges on a 9.6k link when I got a 3G phone.

Is there another way?

What about the other operators? Do O2 or Meteor have post-pay GPRS internet access (not web-only!) ?

Comments

Yep its true, Vodafone don't allow access to the ISP access point for prepaid customers. IMO a 3G service that can only do WAP is totally dumb and useless!.

O2 and Meteor do provide 2.5G prepaid ISP access but its not cheap. O2 charge 3c per kb transferred while Meteor are €2.50 per 512kb transferred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Thanks for that!

I have an old Meteor sim card, I'll try it out and if it works fine then Vodafone lost themselves a customer. :)

Also, Vodafone told me their data charges are 7 euro per MB, so 2.50 per 512k seems pretty reasonable.

Just tried Meteor, with Meteor ISP settings (got them from Nokia, and also from boards) but it's not working.

I'm getting the same error message, as if Meteor is not allowing me up on their access point.

Is their ISP service for post-paid customers only, same as Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, O2 and Meteor both allow their pre-pay customers to use their ISP service with GPRS. you may have to call their support first to make sure you account is enabled to use the services though...

as outlined in this sticky:
    HELLO THERE... About to ask how to get connected for Web/WAP/Email/MMS/Bluetooth etc.

Thanks, I rang them and they gave me an email address where I can apply for access. Strange but there you go. :)

Hopefully this will get it sorted.. It's so stupid having a 3G phone and not being able to use it's features.

Just out of interest, is there a way to access Meteor's or O2's access point from Vodafone? I guess it's a stupid question, but I was wondering if I could "roam" on O2's data network from my Vodafone SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Dont think this will help you with pop3 or imap e-mail, but most wap2 gateways can be used as a normal http proxy, so if you connect your pc through your phone then set the proxy in your browser to your providers wap2 gateway you get on the web, same if you have opera (or another browser) on your phone, it's fast enough on 3G!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

@netman
    The 6680? Was it one of the Vodafone ones?
    Is it unlocked already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

This may not be of much help to you at the moment, but VF have plans to allow RTG access to the ISP APN. Probably by the end of the year (I'd say sooner, but you know these things never happen as soon as they should!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alykhalil

I have been trying since 2 weeks to use my NOKIA 6820 as dial up modem through the data cable (which connects my phone to my laptop) ....but it just dont work...I have a a vodafone contract phone with GPRS enable sim card....

i did all the driver settings. It takes me to where it says (after dialling) verifying user and password, but it says remote computer not responding....pls advise

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

You might need to ask Vodafone to enable data on your account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alykhalil

GPRS WAP WEB Internet is ALL READY on my vodafone contract sim card....i have a built in modem for my nokia 6820 and a data cable to the pc...i can use my nokia FINE with iRDa to connect to any dial up company and surf the internet but the data cable wont do it....

its just a slight config required...can anyone help....
    thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't quite understand Vodafone's attitude to these ISP services. Loads of mobile phones have inbuilt email clients and I'm sure there are plenty of pre-pay customers who would be keen to use them. It's great to be able to browse your emails on a mobile.

I don't want to use vodafone.ie's own email service as I pay for an account on another system.

Surely they'd make a killing on all those GPRS charges if they'd just let people access their mail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Solair wrote:
    I don't quite understand Vodafone's attitude to these ISP services. Loads of mobile phones have inbuilt email clients and I'm sure there are plenty of pre-pay customers who would be keen to use them. It's great to be able to browse your emails on a mobile.

I don't want to use vodafone.ie's own email service as I pay for an account on another system.

Surely they'd make a killing on all those GPRS charges if they'd just let people access their mail!

It's simple - Vodafone are a rubbish company who tell their customers what they want instead of asking them. I mean seriously - watching GAA clips on your phone ?????? Ok I didn't see the crazy frog thing coming as a hit I must admit. When WiMAX comes out they are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

As I've said before, VF are going to release ISP for RTG at some point in the near future.

As for using your phone as a GPRS modem, have you looked up the settings on this forum or on www.vodafone.ie? Using APN isp.vodafone.ie and username/password of vodafone/vodafone - I'm fairly sure these settings are listed in the sticky. Note that this APN is not the same as the WAP one. You might have to call VF to make sure it is provisioned although it should be anyway for all contract subscribers.

Advertisement