Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax

Options
  • 11-06-2005 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

So it turns out the car I bought was off the road since December and therefore wasnt taxed since , so do I have to backtax it to December or is there some way around this ?

A second off the topic question also , I had a provisionalo scooter license before i got my car license , my car license was put onto my scooter license and now there both up in July but the car only went onto it in February so how do I go about reapplying for the license as technically ive only had it a few months , I dont think I paid for the car bit to go on but like I dont want this recorded as my 2nd car provisional , so how do I go about applying for my next license , did anyone else have anything like this happen ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

You only pay tax from when you took ownership of the car...this is verified from when the change of ownership form was dated and received by Shannon etc....about the provisional, that I have no idea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i got the registration cert this week with my name on it but someone was saying to me oh you`ll have to back tax it to december or else go to the guards and get something to say twas off the road for a few months ??Im dead confused .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Not at all:)..similar happened to me, you cant be liable for tax on a car that you didnt own (as much as they might like you to pay for it!!)

I checked it out with the VLC people in Shannon in my case which was pretty similar and for the 1st time taxing it, you need to get the RF100 form and fill it in, stating that you want tax from X time eg you bought the car in say April so you are liable for tax in it from when you bought it....you then bring that form to local tax office and there shouldnt be any issue as like I say you are only liable for tax from when you purchased the car.

The VLC people in Shannon told me that the system ties up so they can see when you took ownership of the car...I'm open to correction but definitly that was the case for me when something similar happened recently and I wasnt liable for back tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As regards the licence you will have to pay for a span new one. Fill up the form and send it off with the photos and the €25.

thanks and i can get this form at the tax office or the garda station?Do the guards need to sign this , like what is that form >?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    As regards the licence you will have to pay for a span new one. Fill up the form and send it off with the photos and the €25.
    But it wont be recorded as my 2nd car provisional will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will have to talk to them about that. Would it not be to your advantage to be on a second licence?

it would because I wouldnt need a driver with me but it wouldnt because im nowhere near wantin to do my driving test so in that respect no I want my 1st provisional on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

As far as your tax goes fill in the following form and send it off to your local tax office - The hoores are fierce efficient these days!
    http://www.wexford.ie/MotorTax/downloads/taxRenewal.doc
    Previous owner is the ticket,- you only have to tax it from when you bought it!

ou cool , thanx damo :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement