Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2 (o)

Options
  • 11-06-2005 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips for doing this paper? I made it through the 2004 paper easy enough this morning. Presuming I got 40% in paper 1, I need at least 70% in this exam to get a C3 overall which is the minimum requirement for the course I'm looking for. I realy don't think I'll get it now. I hate having to catch up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I would have loved to have gotten last years paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shelleEire

u dont need any tips.. just learn ur formulas and do the past questions n ul be fine. i need a C3 aswell. we are in the same boat kid... coz i duno if i even got 40% in the first paper.. i hope so. i need to do well monday. good luck n if u cant rember how to do a question remember ur attempts will be marked. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

best way to study for maths.

use your maths book. (that may sound stupid but here me out)

a lot of people had problems with paper1.
    a lot of them students focus their attentions on doing past papers before exam.
    they notice a pattern
    they think oh sure they won't change that they'll just change the figures.

paper one was just phrased differently from previous papers and maybe one question that which wasn't expect (q.2c)

I expect paper 2 to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Im actually sh1tting myself for maths. I did absolutely terrible in paper 1, and its only really hitting me now, 01:23 sunday morning the 12th june, that i might not pass the leaving cert now :( Uh-oh spaghetti-o's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Unless it's changed there should be 2 statistics questions. I would do these first. They are very quick which takes pressure off you time was for the rest of the exam.

The best advice is be ruthless on timing. I think its 25 or 30 minutes per question you have. At the end of this time you should move on to the next question and come back if you have time at the end.

edit: just realised you were talking about the O level paper. That means you have a linear programming question doesn't it.....that should be handy enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

ok guy my advise do section b the minute you go in and remember you've only 24 mins watch you're time q1: if its semicircle remember to double you're answer simpsons rule should be handy apparently nothing new can come up but if there is a couple of x's in diagram they all mean same thing so bring them to same side. its worth looking up prisms and rate of flow . q2 know how to do mapping q3 nothing new can come up look over past exams q6 do 1999 6c and everything else is fine

easy way to remember simpsons rule (the tables complicate things too much)

h 1st + last {TOFE}

Twice the
    Odd
    Four times the
    Even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

my teacher gives us the same rule i'll never forget it i can even see myself explaining it to my kids!!

anything that'll help is brilliant the only thing i use the tables for is the area and volumes just to make sure i know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

If you need any help with Simpson's Rule it's in the log tables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

Yea its in log tables they had out, Learn formula's for line and circle, and do loads of linner programming, u'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Simpsons rule is dead simple:

W/3 [F+L+4(even)+ 2(odd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

at the start of last week i couldnt do any of the optional questions at the end of the paper but i learned verctors .some years they come up handy but some years there horible. probaility and statisics are the 2 easyest questions on the paper make sure you learn how to do probability on your calculartor q's 1,2,3 should be ok if you know your line formula's and know how too use the log tables (duh) im not even going to look at q4 or q5. heres hoping for a lovley paper 2

Is anyone doing the trig question?

as with paper one, i'm going to attempt all questions, and then just my option (q10) which is the easiest option question in the paper.

I know simpsons rule is in the tables but I'd rather stay away from the tables for most of the exams.

Cremo wrote:
    as with paper one, i'm going to attempt all questions, and then just my option (q10) which is the easiest option question in the paper.

I know simpsons rule is in the tables but I'd rather stay away from the tables for most of the exams.
    Speaking of tables books, does anyone else find them realy hard to read? I have very very good eyesight and I can't tell the difference between a 3 and an 8 in the volume formulas. I know they're 3 from learning them in class. And on the topic of maths table books, Did anyone else steal their table books? The way I saw it in paper 1 was that I didn't get any points from the exam, I might as well haven gotten a tables book from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Considering that the only time I'll ever need log tables again is tomorrow when I'll be given them before the exam, I don't really think its necessary to steal one....oh and they are only about €2 to buy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

on skool.ie it says

In Section B on Paper 2, there are 4 questions, one on each of four Option topics. Students are required to attempt only one of these questions. So, naturally, most students only study one of the Option topics. And it is the option on Further Calculus and Series that seems to have won this particular battle hands down; well in excess of 90% of students take this option question (Question 8) each year

this surprised me in our school we learn vectors and linear programing are most of you doing question 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

what do u need log tables for in the exam for? i know area and volume, and what area and volume formula are not in the tables?? and what other formula must i know?

The sine rule and the cosine rule are on page 9, you'll need them if you're doing the trigonometry question.

• Advertisement

forumulas which aren't in the tables

the -b^2 +/- sqrt 4ac...etc
    distance of a line using two points
    slope
    midpoint
    equation of the line
    equation of circle with centre (0,0)
    equation of circle with centre not (0.0)

any of the others i forgot which as involved with geometry of line/circle.

I'm trying to do some questions now and can't do the 2004 Q6 (b)(iii). It's so annoying I know it's probably something really simple can anyone help?In case you don't have the papers here's the question:
    3 people have to be selected from a group of 15 doctors and 12 dentists.

How many ways can the people be selected if the selection must contain at least one doctor and at least one dentist?

I keep coming up with 4500 (15x12x25), but it's not right. Can anyone help?

It should be (15C1 X 12C2) + (15C2 x 12C1) I think, useing the nCr button on your calculator. The answer should be 2250 I think.

Binomate wrote:
    It should be (15C1 X 12C2) + (15C2 x 12C1) I think, useing the nCr button on your calculator. The answer should be 2250 I think.
    Thanks a million that was doing my head in. It all makes sense now...!!:)

I'd have killed for last years paper. I was so simple.

Binomate wrote:
    I'd have killed for last years paper. I was so simple.

Yeah I agree, especially Q1, Q3 and Q5. Almost fun to do! Do you reckon they'll go easy on us with paper 2 cos of the first paper? I think that it will probably have a few surprises.

if i were you lot i wouldn't be practising last years paper, go back and do 1994 to 1997.

But didn't some new Examinations Commission take over setting the maths papers in 2002? Surely it would be better to just practice recent papers? You can see the different style of questions they ask, they want to put their own stamp on it.

yeh, but what i'm trying to say is this new examinations commission have seemed to start to ask questions differently and thus confusing some people.

back in 1994-1997 the questions weren't as direct as recent years therefore they'd be the best to work on.

although when i study for maths i just use my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Binomate wrote:
    Is anyone doing the trig question?
    I am. Think it's my best one.

Advertisement