Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

art history.. agh! its only four days away!!

Options
  • 12-06-2005 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

its fairly ****e that art history is on the same day as TD.. what are you fellow art students planing on studying over the next few days?!
    i have all my irish art sorted over the last few weeks so i kinda just have to look over it again :(

for irish section im hoping for the ardagh chalice or tara brooch or something on the high crosses

for the european section i have gothic and romanesque architecture done but im not really into it, so tomorrow and the next few days im planing to do michelangelo, jan van eyke, rapheal ,donetello and da vinci so i might have a good chance of being able to answer the option question..

for art apriciation i think its fairly random im gonna look over film and that kinda stuff...

how do you guys do your timing for this exam, your teacher said you need to be writing around four page answers along with the sketches in about 40 mins each! aghh!!

please tell me im not alone!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

well u aint alone in the sense that u have to do the exam, but u are alone in caring about it enough to study more than : Bronze Age and Romanesque + Gothic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Same as above really, in terms of percentage it's fairly important but I have a 3 day gap betweeen exams to study for it so I will probably do something. I'm quite good at answering appreciation questions so I will do the least on that, but I'll focus on prehistoric art and renaissance (esp. northern renaissance). I figure with such a varied amount of questions, as long as you know what you're talking about you can tackle the exam fairly easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

sorry i forgot to mention the bronze age, basically im just wondering is anyone else trying to minimise the amount of topics to study over the next few days and how they are going about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭captain_frances

Ah lads, yis need to chill out on the old Art exam, it's a piece of pish!
    Study two items from each section
    ie: Irish Art: Newgrange and Knowth
    La Tene Culture

European Art: Gothic and Romanesque
    em...Giotto comes up quite a lot...DaVinci and Michelangelo etc

Appreciation of Art: A product ie: CD player
    A building
    Film/Music Video/Play

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

all i'm doing is irish: bronze and iron (la tene)
    european:giotto and donatello
    and i wouldn't bother with newgrange after all it came up last year and they surely know its the easiest thing on the course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

irish: bronze age and georgian architecture(comes up every year in some form)
    european: michaelangolo and impressionists--maybe, don't really know
    for the appreciation section is nobody doing the gallery visit? its the easiest one and you know can just learn it off, same question.

how are you all going about your timing on this?... thanks i feel abit calmer about it now! :cool:

roughly 45 mins a question 30 mins for minimum maybe 2 1/2 pages 10 mins sketches minimum 2 i think and if you're given the pictures draw them anyway

my teacher was sayin write about 4 pages for each answer, im thinking thats including the sketches, otherwise i dont think i could write that much in 40/45 mins..

well in fairness some of mine are 5 but i'll only be able to do 3 1/2 in exam you're docked for going off the point

that's 3 1/2 + 1 for sketches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

Wow, I'd have difficulty writing 4 pages...But I suppose that's because I haven't studied all year as it's my 7th subject. Although now after maths I might have to include it :mad: . The gallery question does seem like the easiest option in appreciation, but I can't remember much about the exhibition we visited... I hope I can manage a B, because I was pleased with my practical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Wow, I'd have difficulty writing 4 pages...But I suppose that's because I haven't studied all year as it's my 7th subject. Although now after maths I might have to include it :mad: . The gallery question does seem like the easiest option in appreciation, but I can't remember much about the exhibition we visited... I hope I can manage a B, because I was pleased with my practical work.
    Make up a local exhibition. Chances are the examiner won't have a clue who/where you're talking about, so they won't bother to check up on it. An incredibly simple way to do this is to just imagine an exhibition (with perfect layout, lighting, etc.) and just describe what you see in your own head. You can't go wrong.

Make up a local exhibition. Chances are the examiner won't have a clue who/where you're talking about, so they won't bother to check up on it. An incredibly simple way to do this is to just imagine an exhibition (with perfect layout, lighting, etc.) and just describe what you see in your own head. You can't go wrong.

Haha, that's a great idea :D . But don't you have to talk about certain paintings in the exhibition? I doubt I'd get away with making them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

if the gallery visit comes up(pleaseohpleaseohpleeeease!), I'm writing about a local exhibition that's only just down the road from my school. taking a trip down there after maths tomorrow to refresh my memory. otherwise, I hope something like a movie comes up.
    in the irish section I'm doing newgrange, all the metalwork(if the tara brooch comes up I'll be happy) and maybe some manuscripts. european... well, unless romanesque+gothic comes up I'll be in trouble there. maybe I'll do the impressionists or something...

lord, I hate art history. I'll be so very glad when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Haha, that's a great idea :D . But don't you have to talk about certain paintings in the exhibition? I doubt I'd get away with making them up.
    Indeed you do. But a local exhibition is perfectly acceptable, you can just make them up aswell. Once you have a fairly good imagination (which most art students probably do anyway) you should have absolutely no problem with inventing something on the spot (although it might be best to have a think about it beforehand...) :D

You need to be able to describe things like:
    The gallery in general - shape of the rooms, (if the exhibition is confined to one room - where it's situated in the building, top floor of the gallery, for example), a little bit about the building itself (old building? newly renovated?), colour of the gallery, any special features (stone walls or cobbled flooring or something), stuff like that.

What it's an exhibition of - eg. ceramics, oil painting, sculpture, etc.

Some of the artists involved and a few of their works (you need fairly detailed descriptions and sketches for this)

The layout of the exhibition - How the work it displayed (on the walls, on shelves, on stands?), how the work is labelled, lighting, any additional information (leaflets, interactive thingies, etc.) and all that kind of thing

And your opinion on a few works/the exhibition in general is always good. Just say which was your favourite piece and why, or something like that.

Also, if you're going to make up a local exhibition, you might find it handier to say it was a few artists exhibiting together, and include a few different mediums. It just gives you a bit more to work with.

Thanks, that's really helpful ;) . I might get around to going to the national gallery after french, but I'll definitely use those headings now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

seems im taking a bit of a different approach to most (should i be scared :confused: )

irish art -
    early christian era --> manuscripts, metalwork, high crosses

european art-
    late 19 early 20 century --> impressionism, cubism, surrealism

appreciation-
    museum visit --> went to "dreaming of the dragons nation" in IMMA

i think i can handle them well enough but im wondering why they are so unpopular??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

seems like most people are going with bronze and iron age. So il give that the quick once over.
    From what iv heard,due to the uproar concerning last years gallery question-there are serious doubts that they will give anything other than a straight forward gallery question.
    So heres hoping!
    I got caught out last year by the gallery question,so this year im hoping something nicer comes up (cos this year iv been paying attention in art hist class!-we didnt have an art hist class last year,just a few spare mins after normal art class.)
    Any other tips?

More than 2-3 pages of pure text per essay is way too much guys.

Note that the art and appreciation essays should give general information; if a film when it was made, budget, genre, note on director, tone, etc., before the main cetre of the essay which is usually describe two scenes that were effective, or use of special effects etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hellsbells

sephirosis wrote:
    seems im taking a bit of a different approach to most (should i be scared :confused: )

irish art -
    early christian era --> manuscripts, metalwork, high crosses

european art-
    late 19 early 20 century --> impressionism, cubism, surrealism

appreciation-
    museum visit --> went to "dreaming of the dragons nation" in IMMA

i think i can handle them well enough but im wondering why they are so unpopular??

im doin the exact stuff! i was wondering why nobody else is doin it! my teacher said the gallery visit comes up every year, but DOES IT REALLY?

• Advertisement
Advertisement