Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD write speeds?

Options
  • 12-06-2005 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is already answered, i looked through the stickies but couldn't find an answer.

I just bought a nec 3540 DVD writer, and i obvioulsy need some dvd's. If a writer is capable of 16X speeds, i presume it is also capable of writing DVD+/-R's at 8X aswell.

This is the writer.
    48x (CD) / 16x (DVD±R) / 6x (DVD-R DL) / 8x (DVD+R DL)
    It says 6X on -R's and 8X on +R's.
    I presume it can write 8X-R's aswell? I don't want to buy 100 or so blanks to find i can't write any of them!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

16x is just the highest speed the drive can write at, it will be able to correctly write to disks rated at a lower speed.
    When you put in a lower rated disk the drive will recognise it and write at an appropriate speed.

As per your post ithe different speed ratings are for different disk types, 16x for +-R and 6x / 8x for -R DL / +R DL. DL stands for dual layer which are different disk types which have different ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

ah that would make sense. So does it mean it will burn 8X DVD-R's? They seem the best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

TimAy wrote:
    ah that would make sense. So does it mean it will burn 8X DVD-R's? They seem the best price.

Yup

Yours is a +- R Rw drive so will burn anything.

Nowadays the -+ R RW is negligble all drives burn all them.

The DL is for Dual Layer it will only burn them at 6x irc. But those dics cost a fortune avoid them unless you need them.

/also burns cds :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

Yes 8x discs will be fine (they might even burn @ 12 speed depending on the brand)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Cool,that clears that up, thanks chaps.

EDIT:lol, one more, whats DVD-/+RX?

no problems with www.mediawrite.ie? Very Fair Prices

• Advertisement
Advertisement