Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any tips for CV building ??

Options
  • 12-06-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

Im just after finishing my computer applications degree in DCU recently, and Im looking for a job as soon as possible. I havent gotten my results yet from my finals. I have a couple of questions.

Any tips out there for building CV's ? I have built up a very basic CV for now and I want to make it look as good as possible. Heres what i have

--Personal details
    --Education: primary school, secondary education, and third level
    --Skills: I have listed everything I have done in college in bullet point format and categorised them aswell, so I would have a heading of programming, and then I would list java, c++, perl etc.

I have work experience below that, listing every job I have done even though it may not be relevant to what Im looking for, and finally I have put down for references ' available on request '.

Anything anyone here can add to that to make it look better or am I on the right track ?

ta for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm no professional when it comes to CVs, so don't take this as gospel...

I would have thought that at your stage primary school was pretty much irrelevent, as it's had no "real" baring on your current situation and suitability.

As for your skills, list them in order of usefullness depending on which job you're applying for. Make a separate cv for each job, with emphasis specifically on the areas which would apply to the job in question.

Perhaps mention a college lecturer as a reference, and then add "others available upon request", as they may want some sort of character judgement.

Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Check out the work forum for tips etc. :)

Generally you should have personal details on top Name, address, phone and e-mail. Then work experience then skills, education, hobbies achievements etc.

Bear in mind that if you are applying for graduate positions many of them require you fill out an application and do not accept CV's.

Make sure your cv is no longer then 2 pages. If you have no IT experience maybe list a URL on your cv linked to your final year project. Try and put things on it that make you appear interesting / different to other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check out the work forum first.

1. Have custom built CVs based on who you are trying to sell yourself too.

2. List (1 word) skills you achieved over the course of a particular job/time.

eg.

Company: Bloggs Inc.
    Description: Sysadmin for companies systems.
    Technologies used: Linux, W32, Mac, VB, C++, Oracle, DB2.

3. Create a table at the end that lists each tech, how many years using it and a general 1-5 scale of how well you can use that product in admin/programming/user format. Make sure you tell them what 1-5 means (1=I invented it, 5=Have rudimentry knowledge). Anything you don't know leave off, even if you mentioned it earlier.

The more keywords you get thrown in, the more likely the HR program is going to spit out your CV as interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have a 3rd level qualification do not include your primary or secondary education unless it is very relevant (eg. applying for a job where basic French is required and you did really well in the leaving or something)

My eyes glaze over when reading CVs unless I can see the relevant bits immediately, so I wouldn't be interested in knowing what you did when you were 15. It may seem fascinating to you, but probably not to an employer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

hey Matfinn, I just graduated from the exact same course as you, in fact you probably know me. But thats neither here nor there.

Anyway, Ive been lucky enough to get a job already and I think what got me the interview was the fact that I made my CV as concise as possible, talked about college education, 4th year project and INTRA experience only.

It only came to one page and the HR guy here said it was easy to read and thats what got me the interview.

So my tip is: Leave out the flowery extra crap about working in clothes shops/newsagents etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Don't over-sell yourself.

Typical example....you'd be amazed how many developers will list TCP/IP as a technology they know on their CV, cause they've done some web-based development. You'd possibly be more amazed at how many of those will fail a simple question such as "explain subnetting to me" when asked in an interview to show they have some clue about what they claim to know.

jc

Advertisement