Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science...

Options
  • 12-06-2005 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

I no its not til thursday, but i was thinking that il start studying for it today, so does anybody no what would be the most important experiments to learn? I have the less stress more success book and ive been told to learn all the experiments in it but surely we arent expected to know ALL THEM!!!
    So does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Id def learn the food tests...my teacher never shuts up about them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'm afraid you are, and most will agree that it's near impossible to know everything on the course. So as with some other exams it can come down to pot luck on the day. As for revision, the less stress more success book doesn't actually cover the entire course afaik, but it should be ok for Thursday's exam.

As for what you should revise one thing I'd do is pick out two out of the four choices for Section D (I think it's section D...the one with horticulture etc etc), I'm picking electronics and energy conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We only did two of them... Material Science and Food. And I hate Food (there's a REASON I didn't do Home Ec damnit) so I did electronics as well. It's such a short section in comparison to the rest of them. o.o Barely nothing to learn.

As for experiments... I've heard the preparations for Carbon Dioxide and Oxygen are important. A lot of experiments are obvious once you know the theory behind them. (I mean, demonstrating the transpiration flow in a plant, yeah, stick it in food colouring, cut it in half, it's common sense.) I'd say the chemistry experiments might be the harder ones, all the chemical formulae and stuff you gotta know, you can't exactly make that up.

That said, you might as well know your Applied Science sections really well since you KNOW you're going to have to answer on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

I think some of the most important experiments are the preparation of CO2/O2 and the titration/neutralisation reaction experiment with HCl and NaOH. Learn all the experiments for the Applied Sci section cos they're guaranteed to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Thank you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 princess fluff

dese are the things we were told that will come up. .
    physics. . .
    ohms law def comin up
    sound
    law of the lever
    pressure
    density
    chemistry. . .
    simple/dry cell
    prep for carbon dioxide
    distallation
    water treatment and ph scale
    exothermic and endothermic reactions
    biology. . .
    ecology
    eye
    soil
    respiration
    heart
    reproductive system
    just learn dese and ul be sound!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Nothing will "definitely" come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Do you think we'll most likely get a chemical equasion to write/balance? I do not understand them at all.

Probably if it comes up it'll be in the short questions...

Although for chemical equations, it'd be an idea to know Photosynthesis/Respiration.

Photosynthesis/Respiration.

... which are each other's mirror images, don't forget.

If you plan on answering the preparation of O2 and CO2, don't forget those formulae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

It's things like that that make me want to do pass Science! For pass, isn't it just the word equasions that you need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

modular wrote:
    Nothing will "definitely" come up.
    I hear Physics, Chemistry and Biology will, maybe other bits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lol science is a pure fail for me

Latent heat is tipped to come up this year apparently, as it was a hot topic up until a few years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

My friends teacher got them all to sing a song to remember how to prepare O2, not as catchy when it's written, but here goes....

To the tune of BnBn.

"MnO2 and h2O2 make oxygen and H2O."

Wow, it loses alot in the translation....

Rock on!

What is the tune that it's sung to exactly?

Flashling wrote:
    My friends teacher got them all to sing a song to remember how to prepare O2, not as catchy when it's written, but here goes....

To the tune of BnBn.

"MnO2 and h2O2 make oxygen and H2O."

Wow, it loses alot in the translation....

I presume it's an all-girls school? :)

Do you do the "dododododos" in between the Mn02 and the "and" yeah?

You don't remember the BnBn ads modular? I presume it's the tune of that.

I'm presuming there are no "dododo" bits and you just say the "and h202" instead. If I had a mic I'd record myself saying it but damn I should be doing maths. And also have no mic.

Oh, gotcha. Right, missed it in the post.

...and it was on The Muppet Show first, I believe.

• Advertisement

modular wrote:
    ...and it was on The Muppet Show first, I believe.

Indeed, it was originally sung by Mahna Mahna and then brought back in later as the "phenomena" song, a big muppet fan I am :)

/me goes off to watch the clip again..

Ok, that actually works!
    Seriously thanks i think il remember it now! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Don't thank me, thank O2! Oh pfm, you're right, and I have a mic, but I don't know how to post music...al...ish...y clips. And I go to a mixed school actually!

Fobia wrote:
    I presume it's an all-girls school? :)

I go to an all girls school and we never sing songs...or stuff...Id say its more likely to be a mixed school, personally. But maybe thats just cos my school is filled with a lot of the "OMG a song?Thats so ****ing gay.Why the **** are u so ****ing weird?" types...

Strokesa wrote:
    But maybe thats just cos my school is filled with a lot of the "OMG a song?Thats so ****ing gay.Why the **** are u so ****ing weird?" types...

I said it cus that's the kind of response that 90% of guys would give...cool school flashing.

My class is a little different, we'd happily try to sing it but just fail miserably :)

My class's response to a song would probably be something like "State ah dat!"

... ah yes, fun times.

Although we once sucessfully sang 'Frere Jacques', in canon. That was a unique occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 X-Man

To be honest i couldnt giv a toss bout science........ im not gonna study 4 it cos im droppin it next year...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

there's just so much to study for science. I'd say go over some exam papers and if there's anything that you REALLY don't know or understand (i.e. you can't even bluff your way through), go over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, if your doing ord level then don't get stressed: It's Mostly mix n match, fill the gaps etc. altough they will have ask for the most memorable experiments compelteted over the last 3 years, so don't get too stressed.

Higher level is all about what you kn'ow. You should now be revising all the chemical names etc.

Did anone else beside me have to learn Applied science by themselves? Our teacher never helped the applied science students but instead helped the local studies whenever he could!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

X-Man wrote:
    To be honest i couldnt giv a toss bout science........ im not gonna study 4 it cos im droppin it next year...........
    lol ye theres just far too much to learn its impossible

Advertisement