Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!

Options
  • 12-06-2005 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am just wondering what topics people are studying for tommorow? I was thinking earthquakes and volcanoes might come up because of the tsunami. Its hard to kno though! Anyway if you have any ideas just post them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Had the tsunami happened when they set the papers?

Anyway, I haven't a clue what will come up and don't want to speculate. I'm just going to hope case studies aren't too important because I.... don't know mine particularly well. Also I'm hoping soil won't come up because I missed that section and forgot to get the notes. I have this random blank couple of pages in my geography note book. It's probably too late at this point to get the notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

The paper was written before the tsunami in December, and text speak is generally frowned upon here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DO'Brien

I think Geography's easy. The book makes it out tobe really hard. The short wuestions are easy and that's 40% then there's a map question that can only ask certain thingd. Then it's up to you to answer 2 from 4 which is a good choice.

PS.

What's the difference between an estuary and a mouth?

What's a footloose industry?

Estuary = where the river becomes tidal.
    Mouth = where the river enters the sea.
    Footloose Industry = an industry that can locate anywhere. Ie computers, textiles, etcetera. (that's a sucky definition and once I bother to get my geog notes I'll have a better one...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macker2

An industry that is not tied to any particular location or country, and can relocate across national borders in response to changing economic conditions. Many manufacturing industries seem to have this characteristic.

google is great :D

Dont worry bout geography, looking over past papers a lot of the q's seem to be pretty easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Geography is simple.The short q's are kinda like cspe...ha!I got an A1 in the pre...I still need to study though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

modular wrote:
    The paper was written before the tsunami in December, and text speak is generally frowned upon here.
    how do you kno that they could had wrote it after December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Why are you wooried about writing about Tsunamis when ordinary english students had to write about a trip on a school bus.

The bus accident happened much more recently than the Tsunami, though.
    Did they definitely set the ppaer in '05, then? I heard somewhere that they set the LC papers in October but I'm not sure, and that's also LC, not JC.

But the whole idea of not putting something in a test just because it occuered is just silly and is the kind of attitude that has got America to where it is now. The same does not apply to bus accidents but earthquakes are still part of the course and why should their occurance change that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

trust me if the examiners find summat hard to ask you they will go to their limit to ask you

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

If they did set them after Christmas, it seems fairly likely there'll be something about a Tsunami in it.

I thought Geography was really easy in the mock, but our class didn't do an awful lot out of the papers, so we didn't really know what to expect. Another Geography teacher told us that our mock was too easy and was marked too easily, and she said if that had been our JC we'd have been down 1 or 2 grades.

But the whole idea of not putting something in a test just because it occuered is just silly
    I think the idea of not putting something in is out of respect. I mean, what if in your school you had a tragedy and five of your fellow students were killed, then in your exam you had an entire essay topic reminding you of it. It's one thing not to talk about something because people will get upset, but it could put you off your entire exam if something like that came up, it just wouldn't be fair.

Id did say in my post that the same does not apply to things such as that. Things like that should by all means be omitted but not to take that to far and emit such things as earthquakes.

They wouldn't emit the earthquake, though. It'd be more likely to come up, so we can show our knowledge of Geography is topical, or somesuch.

That is a fair point but is there any histoy of such things in past papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You should be alright if you know your aerial photographs and OS maps, I got a B in the mocks due to those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Having done every single question (both long and short) from the last 8 years I can say that the questions are extremely repetitive. For short questions the main thing would be to learn the names of things, ie weather equipment, parts of volcanoes etc.

For long answers, I'd advise doing what Rozabeez says; do at least one question from 4 or 5. Though they take the longest to do they are the easiest to pickup marks on. Other than that stuff to know is industry and development, ie Intel and Shannon New town for me, if you know these at least one question should come up that you can ace, then just do 4 and 5. That's my plan anyways...

Yep, photos and maps are the best.

I got an A in the mocks in Geography so I'm not particularly worried at the minute. Shall probably study for it in lunch tomorrow. Doing maths right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yep, photos and maps are the best.

I got an A in the mocks in Geography so I'm not particularly worried at the minute. Shall probably study for it in lunch tomorrow. Doing maths right now.
    Anyone else find it interesting that millions of people die in a tsunami. people think it's likely to make it come up, but when a few people die in a bus crash, people are disgusted when it comes up

Makes you think

• Advertisement

It's 'cause it happened somewhere else. And if anyone personally knew anyone that died in the tsunami, then it's evidently been deemed a long enough mourning period and we can talk about it now. Or something.
    People make little sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Fobia wrote:
    Having done every single question (both long and short) from the last 8 yearsQUOTE]
    Way to make us feel inadequate...I've done the past 2 years, well almost.

hmmm that quote went wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I did my Junior Cert last year....and geography is a piece of piss, don't worry about it!
    Also tsunamis have been coming up as a part of plate tectonics in geography for a while so there's nothing anyone can do about it.......just study or don't you'll probably get an A either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Raphael wrote:
    Anyone else find it interesting that millions of people die in a tsunami. people think it's likely to make it come up, but when a few people die in a bus crash, people are disgusted when it comes up

Makes you think

Irish Mentality...Bus crash was one of our own....thousands of deaths in a far off distant land dont matter

I heard this in a song a while ago, I think it was by someone called Kimya something(but im not really sure):
    "We'd have 12/26 tatooed across our foreheads if something this atrocious happened on our coast"
    I thought it was really true, the general attitude of the western world is that it doesnt affect us directly, it wasnt our country, so itt doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Geography was really easy! Seriously, some of those short questions were ridiculous, along with the faulty question. Which long questions did ye do? I did the OS Map, the Geography Mix and Climate and Tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I had spare time so i did all 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

My mom was telling me about how she had spare time on the geog. exam when she did her junior, so she did it again in Irish.

Advertisement