Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map with Physical

• 12-06-2005 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some help on recognising physical features like a corrie, drumlin or ribbon lake on a map.

Also any help with understanding patterns of drainage would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

OK, drumlins are dead easy. It's just an absolute mess of contour lines to form the 'basket-of-eggs' topography.

A corrie looks like a hole in a mountain with only 3 sides: three cliffs and an open end towards the foot of the mountain as such.

Ribbon lakes are difficult to miss. They appear along a river within a U-shaped valley, which is a cut-out with a running cliff on both sides on a map. They appear as extra width in the river along it's course.

For drainage:
    - Deranged: These follow no pattern whatsover
    - Trellis: This is where the tribuatary flows into the main river at a roughly 90 degree angle
    - Dendretic: This forms a tree-like pattern. The tribuatary flows into the main river at an acute angle from the source
    - Radial: This is simply a mountain being drained from multiple sides my multiple rivers, forming this pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Ah thank you very much!

So if a question came up about physical features shaping the landscape. I'd identify what it is, give evidence on the map and would i then have to explain how it was formed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Well, you'd use the standard
    Name:
    Process:
    Example:
    Diagram:
    Formation:

structure, but under Example you would give both an Irish example (Powerscourt Waterfall, Co. Wicklow) and a Grid Ref on the map Y 777 777

Advertisement