Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

-!History!-

• 12-06-2005 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering what topics people are studying 4 and think'll come up. And are most of you definitely learning WW1, WW2, The Cold War etc, what parts if any are you not studying in the course or are you just learning everything? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Allegedly the third year course is the most important. And I prefer it to the rest, so I'll probably go over my Irish history, cold war, etcetera.

Btw, does anyone know if you're able to not learn one of the revolutions? I really hate the Irish revolution but I'd hate to get nailed on question five if I didn't learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Social change in the 20th Century wouldn't be as important as say, WWII or the Cold War. For me, I'll have a gander at saying the Reformation is pretty useful to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Think of it people...WW2 ended 60 years ago this summer
    60 is a significant number...remember last year the 60th aniversary of D-Day...well that was a BIG even...so im guessin the 60th aniversary of the end of WW2 will be a reason to fill the paper with WW2 questions :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Martin Luther is a dead cert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fenny wrote:
    Social change in the 20th Century wouldn't be as important as say, WWII or the Cold War.
    I wouldn't go ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

Our teacher didn't even do Social Change in the 20th Century! :p She seemed to think it was too "bitty" a section. From the papers I've looked at though, it seems fairly easy to avoid the questions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

History is easy anyway...even if I didnt study I'd get a B---Its just comes to me in the test....
    The night before history in the mocks me and me mates stayed up playing monopoly until about 3 in the morning :p ...I got 1% short of an A

Social Change is quite largely just common sense, anyway. My history teacher kept going on about how important it is for people doing pass to know it, though.

Seems like an easy topic to write about if it came up in question 6, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Think of it people...WW2 ended 60 years ago this summer
    60 is a significant number...remember last year the 60th aniversary of D-Day...well that was a BIG even...so im guessin the 60th aniversary of the end of WW2 will be a reason to fill the paper with WW2 questions :confused:
    I was thinking that too...I think it would be very wise to study WW2 everyone!
    And about social change being really important for pass students...we had a substitute for the last few months of the year and she said that pass students didnt need to bother with social change at all. Im doing honours anyway but if it turns out that they need it, that teacher will most likely be hunted down and brutally killed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

The rennaisance, Martin Luther, Monks, Micheal Collins and other war stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Btw, does anyone know if you're able to not learn one of the revolutions? I really hate the Irish revolution but I'd hate to get nailed on question five if I didn't learn it.
    If you learn the American and French revolutions and the Reign of Terror you should be ok! I think knowing your Social Change would come in as a big help if your stuck on question 6 and it can be a tricky question still cause they could ask you a question on the change between 1945 and 1960 in Transport,Communication,Pastimes and Leisure and the role of women. Most people think it's an easy question and it's the one most people get wrong! Also learn D-Day and VE-Day they're gona be very tough on WW2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I hate history, and as such don't plan to study anything for it....that's logic for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

I never bothered to learn International Relations in the 20th Century or Social Change. Do you think I'm takin a big risk by not learning in for the exam? I'm hoping to avoid it as 1.Only 2nd year work comes up on Q5 and 2.Its only one of the questions on Q6. and 3.If it comes up on the Docs or Pic questions the answer is usually given in the Pic or Document...I hope..

International Relations in the 20th Century and Social Change would both be separate questions on section 6, I think. I'm fairly sure it's happened before that they've taken up 2 questions.
    I mean, if you know all of your other stuff inside out you could possibly leave them, but really, International Relations is almost certainly going to come up, and if you don't do it then you're just cutting down your options for the other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Heard on the radio that Communism in Russia is likely to come up this year. And the guy that said it seemed to know his stuff. Also, there isn't that much in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I wouldn't listen to any 'experts' on the radio. There is probably one person in the country knows what qs are on the paper, and I doubt he/she goes on radio shows to talk about it. Communism is as likely as any other year.

The social change question is quite easy if you have done a project on an old person's life, but most schools do not do this, and just teach from the book. It can be very badly answered when people think they will wing it - I've seen answers on changes in transport in the 20th Cent. mentioning Stephenson's Rocket...umm.....

For History:
    1. Answer the questions asked.
    2. Answer the right number of questions.
    3. Answer all sections you need to.
    4. For the paragraph answers (revolutionary leader, painter etc.) write at least six good, clear, explained points on the topic/person). There is no need to write ridiculous amounts - once you get the maximum marks for that q, you cannot get any more.
    5. Make sure if the q says to name the person you are writing about that you DO name him/her (that sounds silly but you would be amazed how many people do not).
    6. Do not leave very early, even if you think you are finished. Sit and read over your script - you might spot a silly mistake. If you have time left over at the end, maybe do an extra q from one section - it will not lose you marks, and if by any chance you've made a hames of one of the others, unknown to you, you will pick up marks.

newgrange wrote:
    4. For the paragraph answers (revolutionary leader, painter etc.) write at least six good, clear, explained points on the topic/person). There is no need to write ridiculous amounts - once you get the maximum marks for that q, you cannot get any more.
    Do you mean the question 4 "People in History" section? I thought we needed 10 points...

*MmmPie* wrote:
    I never bothered to learn International Relations in the 20th Century or Social Change. Do you think I'm takin a big risk by not learning in for the exam? I'm hoping to avoid it as 1.Only 2nd year work comes up on Q5 and 2.Its only one of the questions on Q6. and 3.If it comes up on the Docs or Pic questions the answer is usually given in the Pic or Document...I hope..

You really would need to know all the rest of the stuff inside out....so unless you do, then id say you should learn one of those topics. Social change would probably be easier at this point.

6 will do you, but that is 6 well explained points, not just 'facts'.

10 sounds excessive to me, and I have never seen a paper where 10 points were needed in that section. Of course if you have 10, put down ten, but you will get the same marks (maximum) as you would have for 6, or sometimes 5.
    I'm sure you will be fine.

I cannot say it enough times though, answer the q asked, and answer the correct number of qs.
    (Really you would not believe how annoying it is to have a candidate just short of a pass, or an A, and you turn the page to find it blank).

Do you mean the question 4 "People in History" section? I thought we needed 10 points...
    For question 4, we were told you need 8-10 points...thats where the accounts are worth 20marks isnt it? Cause I think you get 2 marks for each point, and you can get up to 4 marks for having a well written account, clear layout, minimum(mininim???) waffling, etc.

• Advertisement

In that case it would be 1.6 marks per point, with the 4 marks or so for overall.
    Having 10 points is no problem, but do not get flustered if you cannot find 10 good points about a topic.I have never come across a paper needeing more than six points - check the old marking schemes.

Ok thanks, i didnt see your second post when i wrote that anyway!

Strokesa wrote:
    You really would need to know all the rest of the stuff inside out....so unless you do, then id say you should learn one of those topics. Social change would probably be easier at this point.
    I got 99% in my Pre history but I was just lucky that what I did study came up so hopefully there wont be too many War questions this time around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

whoever said that social change in 2oth century isn't important, they're wrong, because yes it's an easyish question but something along those lines comes up a lot and my history teacher told us to revise it. Don't get caught out they might throw in 1 or 2 questions into the paper and then because you didn't study it it means you can't choose the question.

Aye that's a good point. Better start learning my History, 3 years work in... *looks at watch* about 5 hours!! Not gonna happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

whoever said that social change in 2oth century isn't important, they're wrong, because yes it's an easyish question but something along those lines comes up a lot and my history teacher told us to revise it. Don't get caught out they might throw in 1 or 2 questions into the paper and then because you didn't study it it means you can't choose the question.

Nah, I didn't say it wasn't important, I said it probably wouldn't be as important as the Reformation or one of the things they generally ask in the "People in History" question. Social Change is pretty easy, because most of it is just general knowledge, so I won't be concentrating on it as much as other sections of the course. :) I had noticed it comes up a lot, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

*MmmPie* wrote:
    Hey I was just wondering what topics people are studying 4 and think'll come up. And are most of you definitely learning WW1, WW2, The Cold War etc, what parts if any are you not studying in the course or are you just learning everything? :)
    ideally you should be studying the whole course instead of studying just these because the surprise Q can contain anything and anything can be found in the images and the documents

Well, what'd people think?

Quite a lot of Social History, I thought, since both of the Documents were social history, and it was in Q 6 as well.

Pretty straightforward, though. Q 5 with the Explorations was exactly what I thought was going to come up (was looking at past papers, and they seem to follow a bit of a pattern), although the 'write an account' bit at the end got a bit hairy for me and rambling occurred. All the while my pen was blobbing everywhere.

Almost forgot to do Q 5, actually. I did the paper in a really weird order... Q 6 first (did Irish and European 20th century stuff, yay 3rd year course), then pictures, then more Q 6, then short questions, then one of Q 4 and more short questions and.. well, whatever happened I was about to seal my answer booklet thinking everything was grand when I noticed about Question 5.

As should be pretty evident, I left like.. 45 minutes before the end. I felt like I should write another Q 4 People in History thing because my one about Washington wasn't great, but my hand was spasming oddly, and I'd had enough.

Quite glad the Cuban Missile Crisis and Economic War came up. Those were like... my little favourite account thingies to write. Although the Irish War of Independence would also have been quite nice.

I didnt like it at all!
    What was the answer for the very first question in section 1? There was no information in the picture...I made up some **** about a ration coupon delivering man...they wanted to put him in the cupboard cos he had acccess to food. Hehe....So no marks for that.
    I didnt know any of the accounts in the 1st part of Q4...i hated 1st year history so i decided not to learn any, and look what happened! I knew about 3 points about a knight so i did that one, and for most of the account i was saying that i had wanted to be a craftsman because it was my dream to be part of a guild...and half the account was about a craftsmans life....i wonder if you get marks for creativity? :rolleyes:
    Overall i just wasnt happy with it. The reformation didnt come up, and thats the section i know best, and i really hadnt studied the right things. And i realllllllllllly wanted an A in history. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

You know in the picture question of the church window? Anyway, for the question about when did they arrive in derry i left it blank because i thought that was a part of the course which i didnt know but it wasnt till afterwards when my friend told me the answer was on the bottom of the picture! Did anyone else make that mistake?

Advertisement