Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo movie

• 12-06-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

From Empire

Never was a huge fan of the game. I wonder if it will go the same way like most other game to movie conversions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sounds interesting alright...

I will officially put my name forward for the role of master chief :p

I reckon that this could be a good movie as it has great potential for a good sci-fi script... hopefully its done well... fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Excellent! I love the Halo games so much, and it definately has the plot to become a movie, always wondered if it would! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm worried of judge dread syndrome.

if they get a big name for master chief, they will want to remove the helmet...which is far too iconic in the game to remove...

They really couldn't take the helmet off....that would be like doing a Half-Life game and giving him dialogue!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i'm worried of judge dread syndrome.

if they get a big name for master chief, they will want to remove the helmet...which is far too iconic in the game to remove...

yeah, that was my first thought too.
    I dunno, Halo is a great game, but the story for the second game wasn't great... and would the film just be an adaptation of one of the games, a follow on or a prequel?? I'd hate to see a film that had nothing to do with the games but at the same time I'd hate to see the game being hindered because it had to link up with some crappy movie.

/me puts a tenner on Cortana and the Chief getting in on in Halo: De Movie

• Advertisement

Best case scenario for a hollywood studio:

Prequel: Showing the character become Master Chief...double points for a scene where he becomes a Spartan...then they can compete with episode3 by having all other Spartans massacered. Allows attachment of big name star, maybe even a love interest and creative freedom...for hollywood.

This might not float well with Bungie though as it denies any development into Halo itself and cuts out alot of characters from 1 and 2 (though Corina and the captain and maybe sarge would be there).

Best Case Scenario for Bungie:

they dont do it.

seriously, looking at most game adapatations, the market they are aiming at (13-15) and what they have to work with...We will prob get a dumbed down, cleaned up version of aliens with bigger fancier explosions (which will dematerialize all corpses), where master chief and that covenent avatar join forces to kill the flood.

I mean yes they have a script going around that hints at a respectful adaptation,but may i remind you of the rumours that the resident evil script was written to be a prequel to resident evil the game and treated the material with the upmost respect.

Necro,have you EVER Judge Dredd without his helmet in any of the comics? Yet stallone still takes it off 10 minutes into the film and doesnt put it back on until the end. (ok he has it on for 10 seconds near the end, in the *sneaking* part)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's just no way this is going to turn out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I think it could be great. AS LONG as they dont do a film based on the storyline of Halo and Halo 2. Which I'm pretty sure they arent doing. That sets it apart from most other video game adaptations, all it will have is a very lose connection to the games. It would have to be a prequel of course, with some characters from the game, and a pre-suit Master Chief. A big green suit wouldnt look good on the big screen anyway.

I dont think this movie is destined to fail, or be a huge hit. It has more good going for it than bad at this stage. It has a good script that Bungie and Microsoft are confident in written by a good screenwriter. It has the support of Bungie who have that hole Halo Bible thing going so a film wont ruin the game. And with a good director, this movie could be as good as any.

yet resident evil, alone in the dark and tomb raider are also all 'loosely adapted' so that doesnt really set it apart from other films. Alot of fans criticized this films (yes they were sh*t but fans...) for not respecting source material.

Resident evil had a rumour going around that Anderson wrote the script in college and only changed the title and some names to suit resident evil. Thats how far fans saw the film from being close to its source.

Also not 100% about this but are universal and fox contesting bungie on the script, ahh here we go:
    First, the two studios requested that Microsoft relinquish its demands and that the Halo movie strictly follow a Bungie-penned "bible," which would ensure that it would not deviate from the Halo mythos or conflict with "sequels" to the game (i.e. Halo 3).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/10/news_6127307.html

i still have thumbs down for this project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Theres already a thread about this with alot more replies, in games or xbox forum.

• Advertisement

yes but that thread has turned into a halo 2 praising/bashing thread, here we are trying to discuss it from a 'film' perspective...(god i feel so very much pretentious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I think it has that ability to be a decent movie, it's all down to how they make it, just like any other film out there.

Personally I would like them to go down the CG road, as in my oppinion a big name actor would ruin the film.

There are currently 3 Halo novels out, all endorsed by bungie. One of these novels is set before the first game, it deals with the MC being 'recruited', trained and enchaced, as well as some fighting and it ends up just before the first game.

To conclude, I see no reason why this couldn't become a great movie, but then again hollywood can screw even the best things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They could probably keep Master Chief the way he is in the games... but only if they give him some lame comedy side kick possibly played by Martin Short, Rob Schneider or Chris Tucker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sergeant Johnson played by Chris Tucker *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sounds crap tbh. look at other game-to-movie adaptations. now, name a good one. even the untarnishable game series "doom" looks like a pile of cack from what i've seen/heard.

rumours say that ridley scott will do the halo movie, which is a major plus point, but if the dude who wrote "the beach" is involved it'll be pure hollywood through and through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Isnt your man that directed that deplorable Batman film with George Clooney involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fatboy22

big fan of the game but reckon this could be a right mess. just cant see it on the big screen :rolleyes:

Well one way they could have a big actor who wanted to show his face is by adapting the novel 'The Fall of Reach' which is a prequel, where Master Chief goes from being a child to growing up and becoming the Chief.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This has such great potential, it could be a classic....they have to give it to a good director and keep it away from Paul WS Anderson and Uwe Boll! Ridley sott was linked, he would be great, or james cameron would do a great job i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There's just no way this is going to turn out well.

It could be like Red vs Blue, in which case I'd watch it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement