Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When the tourists move in.........

• 12-06-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

.......it's so funny to see the changes around campus accomodation now that it's time for the tourists to move in.
    For example, in New Square they put up new shower curtains, got paper bath mats, scrubbed the stone floors so much that some of my friends thought it was new when they saw it, until I told them it was not new, just clean!! But the funniest thing had to be the chair covers at the pay- phone in House 35, they have this flowery cushion on the chair so the poor tourists can feel comfortable phoning home!!
    Anyone else notice this?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

nope, hide out in the attic though and become the ghost of new square......

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ilac

I was in the Buttery last summer during the tourist season. There were flowers on the tables! And welcome signs in various languages…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

All the bins have on campus have been replaced with new clean ones.

pee all over them quick so they smell like the old ones............

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I miss Indy...

Offer "cheap" tours of Trinity.....

• Advertisement

offer cheap tours that end in sherriff street!

Alternately, when they ask for directions, send them the exact opposite way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭ItalianStallion

y'all should be nice, they're helping to pay for your free education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

hmmmm, i thought my taxes pay for my 'free' education.

Yeah tourist money keeps TCD in wine and cobblestone polish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

I hardly think my free education is coming from the €52.50 jumper I sold to an American women yesterday at nearly 60% profit for the SU.

The shop closes at 6 now, I don't like it, I want to work 'til 9... oh well, less tourists for me to deal with. "Do you take American money?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cuckoo wrote:
    hmmmm, i thought my taxes pay for my 'free' education.
    what tax do you pay,your a student!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

county wrote:
    VAT? Part-time job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I think they charge tourists 55 euro a night for a standard room as opposed to the 15 or so they charge students for an extra day in exam time (I assume it works out about the same during term time), for nearly 400% of the regular price I won't begrudge them some minor frills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Pet wrote:
    VAT? Part-time job?
    i mean proper tax!!!

VAT = VALUE ADDED TAX

correct me if i'm wrong, ( i'm no Bess student) but is VAT not a TAX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

county wrote:

That's between me, the accountant and the Revenue. :cool:

But for starters, i pay VAT, DIRT, stamp duty....the list goes on.

Actually, i get pretty f**king p**sed off at the casual assumption that 'students don't pay tax'.

i pay VAT, PAYE, Stamp duty x2 ( lazer and Visa card).

i'm getting screwed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

cuckoo wrote:
    That's between me, the accountant and the Revenue. :cool:

But for starters, i pay VAT, DIRT, stamp duty....the list goes on.

Actually, i get pretty f**king p**sed off at the casual assumption that 'students don't pay tax'.
    Same. I got about 20 mins worth of abuse from someone in a pub last summer, who was telling me that as a student, I was a parasite sucking money from decent taxpayers. It turned out that he was long-term unemployed as he dropped out of school at 15, and was too lazy to get an apprenticeship, so instead he claimed the dole. Looking back, I really wish I'd smashed a bottle in his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heeheehee, my earnings from the summer sneak in just under my tax free allowance :D

<----parasite sucking money from decent taxpayers it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Pet wrote:
    It turned out that he was long-term unemployed as he dropped out of school at 15, and was too lazy to get an apprenticeship, so instead he claimed the dole. Looking back, I really wish I'd smashed a bottle in his face.

aaaawwww ... that's so cute!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

also our parents have (mostly) paid tax to support the education system. if they hadn't had to pay this tax for the education system then they would have the money to pay fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭ItalianStallion

Pet wrote:
    Same. I got about 20 mins worth of abuse from someone in a pub last summer, who was telling me that as a student, I was a parasite sucking money from decent taxpayers. It turned out that he was long-term unemployed as he dropped out of school at 15, and was too lazy to get an apprenticeship, so instead he claimed the dole. Looking back, I really wish I'd smashed a bottle in his face.

fair play! i love the hypocracy of drunk people in pubs.

The best is those pub arguments where the two people involved swap opinions halfway through and end up arguing against their original point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i'm more of an ironic drunk then hypocratic.

Advertisement