Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Idiots

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

impr0v wrote:
    There was one, it doesn't seem to have worked.

Refresh my memory. Was it a one off 45 second ad or did they ever actually repeat it?

Simplest way to inform idiots that they shouldn't be in the overtaking lane is to use signage. The bridges over the motorways are not used for signage at all. In the UK this area is used to let people know what lane they should be in for a particular exit. A lot cheaper than gantries so I'm suprised our lot aren't using it.

Tack on some signs that say something like "DRIVE LEFT -|- PASS RIGHT" or "DRIVING LANE -|- OVERTAKING ONLY.

Couldn't be that difficult. At least then the real idiots will know they're doing something wrong and the morons who know better will know that everyone else knows that they know that they shouldn't be out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

When was that? I certainly havent seen one since I started driving - 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jackal wrote:
    When was that? I certainly havent seen one since I started driving - 4 years now.
    I remember seeing them on the telly about 4 years ago (what a coincidence). There was one about lane discipline on motorways / dual carriageways, and another, believe it or not, about signalling on roundabouts. They were only on for a short time, and I've not seen sight nor sound of them since.

Might have more of an impact now that people in general are more aware of road safety and more accepting of campaigns. And that is a coincidence. Were they on for long or would you classify it as a token effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

DubTony wrote:
    I am constantly amazed at how many people pull into the outside lane to allow traffic enter the motorway even when there's absolutely no need to.

I pull into the outside lane because 90% of the time the car coming onto the motorway will be going slower than me (especially if it's an aul one in a silver yaris!), so it's easier to pull into the outside lane and overtake them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jackal wrote:
    Might have more of an impact now that people in general are more aware of road safety and more accepting of campaigns. And that is a coincidence. Were they on for long or would you classify it as a token effort?
    They were only on for a matter of a month or two if I recall correctly, and I've not seen them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

lomb wrote:
    people definately need to lighten up about it. i use the 'fast' lane as exactly that, to go fast and i pull in to let cars past if there is no bunch of cars ahead and someone is coming up quickly from behind. i know the rules of the road and i know what the lane is supposed to be used for but thats just a theory not practice.

Who decided it was just a theory? Last time I looked it was law.
    lomb wrote:
    9/10 there is a bunch of cars ahead all doing the legal limit and i wouldnt even let michael schumacher past me tbh

So you have time for at least one of the road traffic laws? Obviously the speed limit isn't "just a theory" like that malarky about keeping left. Methinks it may be about time the points system was further extended...

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

jackal wrote:
    ****:
    One problem I see an awful lot on the M-50 is trucks overtaking other trucks, and taking a good minute to crawl past. I mean, whats the f***ing point? ......
    However, driving at quieter times makes you realise the idea of the M-50, and how useful and stress-free it could be if the upped the capacity to deal with the huge amount of traffic now using it, as well as putting a simple 45 second ad on tv about what the protocols on the motorway are.

Then you get the other wanker (also usualy in a BMW, Saab, GTI, or a Hurry to Nowhere.) ie you are passing the said train of trucks, 2 or 3, lets say briskly, not ripping up the tarmac, nor at snails pace, when up behind comes the 90mph BMSaabGti, and lays on the lights, horns, both hands off the steering wheel aping..... you finally give in to the threats, let them past and right ahead of you is a red traffic light or the end of the highway or stalled traffic.. whatever. So after all that, there ye are again, bumper to bumper. Talk about lack of vision?.

3 lanes would not only be nice but very useful as you suggest, but given it took only 20+ years to get from 0 to 2, I think you may have to wait till you become grey haired and drive a Yaris.

It might take 45 minutes in a classroom to get the point across, not 45 sec during the ads when everyone is heading for the WC anyway.

mackerski wrote:
    So you have time for at least one of the road traffic laws? Obviously the speed limit isn't "just a theory" like that malarky about keeping left. Methinks it may be about time the points system was further extended...

Dermot

Actually Dermot, there's no need to extend it ....
    A sample of the 66 penalties below from http://www.motornet.ie/MotoringLife/penaltypoints_flat_story.asp
    Not sure how many of these were implemented but it's down below in red.

Title of offence On-The-Spot Court

Breaking speed restriction (limit) 2 4
    Failure to yield right of way 2 4
    Dangerous overtaking 2 5
    Driving along or across median strip 1 3
    Failure to stop at stop sign 2 4
    Breach of lane markings (wandering) 1 3
    Entering marked hatched area (yellow box) 1 3
    Crossing solid white line 2 4
    Failure to obey traffic lights 2 5
    Poor driving at junction 1 3
    Failure to comply with traffic sign 1 3

Failure to drive on left 1 3
    Failure to keep left at certain signs 1 3

Based on that little sample, just about everyone must rack up a few unrecorded points per day?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

AMurphy wrote:
    Based on that little sample, just about everyone must rack up a few unrecorded points per day?.

LOL, reminds me of the song "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest!

AMurphy wrote:

A few points ? There are people who'd get banned after driving half the length of the M50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

DubTony wrote:
    Refresh my memory. Was it a one off 45 second ad or did they ever actually repeat it?

I remember seeing it a few times, at least three years ago, but I can't remember when exactly. It was a short 30-45 second ad showing a car going through the motions of pulling out, overtaking another and pulling back in, and explained how this was good motorway etiquette. It was clear and concise and instantly forgettable. It seems Joe Public needs copious amounts of backseat gymnastics and/or drunken flowerbed destruction in order for him to remember an ad campaign.

EDIT: Link to a PDF copy of the 2002 National Safety Council annual review which says that the ads (motorway driving, safe overtaking, and two roundabout ones) were '..used intensively over a two month period in 2002 and proved to be a very effective counterpoint to the hard hitting TV commercials.'

DubTony wrote:
    A few points ? There are people who'd get banned after driving half the length of the M50. :)

I'd believe you and they have a few cousins here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I pull into the outside lane because 90% of the time the car coming onto the motorway will be going slower than me (especially if it's an aul one in a silver yaris!), so it's easier to pull into the outside lane and overtake them.
    That's the correct thing to do as well, if it's safe to do so. People in the overtaking lane should be aware of that coming up to a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

DubTony wrote:
    Actually Dermot, there's no need to extend it ....
    A sample of the 66 penalties below from http://www.motornet.ie/MotoringLife/penaltypoints_flat_story.asp
    Not sure how many of these were implemented but it's down below in red.

Yes, I know about that list of penalties, but as you hint, there are only, I think, three of them actually in effect. As we've seen above, uneven prioritisation of the various offences has a very serious effect on the motoring public, leading one motorist in this particular case to conclude that some of the offences are actually just theories.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Guide to penalty points, at Penalty Points.ie.

Dermot, they are only offences if you are caught by the guards, apart from that its just an annoyance for other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

jackal wrote:
    Dermot, they are only offences if you are caught by the guards, apart from that its just an annoyance for other road users.

Interesting outlook on life, more accurate is that you will only get punished if you get caught, it is always an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

edmund_f wrote:
    Interesting outlook on life, more accurate is that you will only get punished if you get caught, it is always an offence?
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's no-one around, etc..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

was on the M50 on sunday and same thing as the OP i taught there had been an accident a actually just laughed when i saw the ferris wheel hd been causing the traffic i just laughed it's a wheel for christs sake it looks the same all the way around
    people that stupid simply shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car.
    the M50 is already a joke but for a least a mile back it was like i was sitting in the M50 car park not the motor way and all so some idiot can what a wheel turn he
    they are on a motorway if they drove they're cars instead of rubber necking they would see plenty of wheels turn

blastman wrote:
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's no-one around, etc..... ;)
    Zigactly! :D

Which reminds me, every couple of years there is an air show over here are Moffett Field , an old air base, so to prevent the same type of stupidity happening they simply close down the highway in both directions for the time the planes are putting on the show, maybe 3~5 hours, of a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

impr0v wrote:
    It was a short 30-45 second ad showing a car going through the motions of pulling out, overtaking another and pulling back in
    IIRC, the motorway one showed a car tailgating another as if this was perfectly acceptable, and the one for roundabouts was signalling incorrectly! I think that might have been the reason they were dropped so quickly. Apart from the errors they were very amateurish looking.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Just witnessed this as I was motering onto the highway.

Usual bridge over with a loop around onto the highway. 3 straight lanes, 2 lanes + shoulder leading down to the highway, here.
    I'm on the left lane of the two leading to the highway as they cross on the bridge. A guy comes up relatively fast from behind and passes to my right, then quickly changes lanes ahead of me to the one immediately to my left, then just as quickly changes direction again and decides he will get on the highway, so crosses back ahead of me again, this time going completely over onto the right hand shoulder, then about 1/2 way down the loop, decides he will change sides again, straightens out a bit, so by the time he is to the bottom he is again to my left on the other shoulder space........ Just the kind of driving to make a cops day, but none to be seen for miles.

AMurphy wrote:
    Just the kind of driving to make a cops day, but none to be seen for miles.

There's the difference between Ireland and California. The cops here would stand back and go "Jaysus, would ya look at yer man. He'll kill somone one o' dese days.... he's only doin' 60. No problem dere den. Givis some more o' dat coffee?".

Advertisement