Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Buying iPods!

Options
  • 12-06-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Ladies and gents, having not seen sight nor sound of this on boards yet (though you can guarantee someone will dig up a link now to spite me) I bring you the Gmini 400!

As you can see it holds many advantages over the standard iPod and even the photo version of the iPod, but for a similar price to the iPod!

Verdict?

Regards,

ftg

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But my iPod is an integral part of my identity.

That is far too ugly and non-minimalist to be an expression of my uniqueness and independence!

Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ipod:too expensive
    gmini:to ugly and i dont want all these videos and picture options thats what my phone is for

answer creative micro 5gb or the 20gb creative zen model

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Looks quite nice. Must look at a few reviews for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

So should I buy an iPod then?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Just don't get a H320.. its like a goddamn brick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

If I buy one, as it stands it'll be based on how nice and comfy it feels in my pocket.

h10 is where its at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

1234z is the best! get that!

The 1234z is ok but it doesn't have a willy warmer

Take style over function every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

I used to have a Creative MuVo, but it broke after going for a swim in the washing machine. Quite like my ipod its fallen/ been dropped loads of times, is covered in dents but still going strong. Like the ergonomic feel of it too (the guy who designed it based the scroll wheel on using your thumb when texting.) Only draw back sound not perfect and low battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have to admit in my opinion function overcome looks.

for god sake like it's going to be in your pocket/bag etc. who gives a **** what it looks like.

That's what I thought originally Cremo. Although, the ugly clunky bitch that is the iRiver has shown me the error of my ways.

Yeah you could put it in your pocket, but they don't even give you a remote.. That's my fault, I guess. Maybe I should've done more research but **** it :D
    It makes a great paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i have the h140 the old iriver discontinued model which uses a remote but i don't use it.

I carry my player in my pocket and have ease of access to it, maybe it's cause i have big pockets but suits me fine.

I can see where you are coming from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't care what you buy, but please read the manual before you ask "How do I put my CDs in my iPod"-type questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I've got a 10GB iPod. I bought it second hand on eBay. It's 3rd Generation so when people see it there like, "What's with your iPod?!" Plus I got it before the big '04 Christmas iPod fad of last year so you can't accuse me of being part of the fad. I really like it and it's fine as long as I remember to recharge it.

Looks do matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Stop buying anything except iRivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I've got a 10GB iPod. I bought it second hand on eBay. It's 3rd Generation so when people see it there like, "What's with your iPod?!" Plus I got it before the big '04 Christmas iPod fad of last year so you can't accuse me of being part of the fad. I really like it and it's fine as long as I remember to recharge it.

Looks do matter!
    Actually xmas 03 was the ipod "fads" beginnings, just so long as people dont buy them and look at the competition
    iRiver
    Cowon
    multichanel labs
    creative etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The Ipods a lot faster to scroll through songs than any other player Ive tried. My Creative Zen takes ages to scroll through the 600 artists on my MP3 Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not sure about the gmini but I Got an IPAQ 3715 with 1GB SD card. Currently it can.
    - Play music
    - Remote control.
    - Surf the web/mail at home (wifi)
    - Play games
    - Take pictures (1.2MP)
    - record video.
    - play movies.
    - stream media from your PC
    - Stream audio/video from the net and play it.

I also got a GPS and have it as a routefinder. As well as a few other things. Only slightly more expensive then the gmini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I am considering buying an iPod at the moment. I just got a new car stereo and the option to have the iPod conected to it is a big draw for me. 40GB of music in the car. no more changing cd's. I'd rather buy something other than an iPod but I don't have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

FX Meister wrote:
    I am considering buying an iPod at the moment. I just got a new car stereo and the option to have the iPod conected to it is a big draw for me. 40GB of music in the car. no more changing cd's. I'd rather buy something other than an iPod but I don't have the option.

So why does it have to be an iPod? Is there some reason why you can't just connect any other make of hdd player to it? Line-in sockets aren't usually that fussy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Maybe his car has one of those slots which only fits an Ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

The iRiver H320/H340 may look like a brick but it craps all over the iPod and in many ways is the equal of that Gmini. Colour screen, music, video, photo, radio etc. I wouldn't swap mine for another player out there.

The Gmini does look nice though I'll admit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

was never a great fan of the sony stuff but the new nwhd5 20gb (€299) is so small and light and the battery life is excellentif marketed right could be an ipod killer and there is also a new limited edition with a 30gb hdd (€349), they are the irish retail prices but seem to be only slightly cheaper online as the vaio markup on sony gear is minimal, well worth a look since they now take standard mp3 and not just fcuking atrac

Spec

Network function
    High speed data transfer YES
    USB connection YES
    Selectable data compression (ATRAC3 / ATRAC3plus) YES
    Data conversion from MP3 / WMA / WAV to ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus YES
    CDDB automatic music information transferring YES
    Music information editting on PC YES
    Network WALKMAN control on PC YES

Data compression
    ATRAC3 66 kbps YES
    ATRAC3 105 kbps YES
    ATRAC3 132 kbps YES
    ATRAC3plus 48 kbps YES
    ATRAC3plus 64 kbps YES
    Atrac3plus 256 kbps YES

Playback & display
    ATRAC3 playback YES
    ATRAC3plus playback YES
    Group function operation YES
    Repeat YES
    Shuffle YES
    Digital sound preset YES
    Dot matrix LCD display on main unit YES
    LCD back-lit NO
    AVLS YES
    Hold YES

General data
    Battery life ATRAC3 playback (h) 40
    Battery life ATRAC3plus playback (h) 40
    Weight (g) 135

Supplied accessories
    Headphones YES
    USB cable YES
    Rechargeable battery YES
    AC adaptor YES
    Carrying pouch YES
    SonicStage version 2.0 YES

Dimensions
    Width (mm) 89.3
    Height (mm) 55.9
    Depth (mm) 14.5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

no i just cant stop buying them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Gmini 400 Battery Life: (just playing music)
    Up to 10 hours based on 64Kbps WMA
    (So even less at a realistic bitrate)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

stop telling me what to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

BAD CONSUMER, very BAD consumer, SIT THE **** DOWN :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I have a SOny NW E507. It is ****ing beautiful, has 1GB and a 50 hr battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wertz wrote:
    So why does it have to be an iPod? Is there some reason why you can't just connect any other make of hdd player to it? Line-in sockets aren't usually that fussy...

Actually you can get a radio transmitter (something like couple of feet range) plug it into your device of choice and have it come out on the radio.

Advertisement