Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Hi I'm an English teacher in a secondary school and will study John B's "Big Maggie" with a 6th year class. I am looking for a DVD of a production and am very much hoping that someone here on the Listowel thread might be able to tell me where I can get one. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://ie.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=9a5cb98babe99fb6&from=serp

Looks like Iceland supermarket is opening in Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Hey guys,

If you are living in Listowel and interested in getting involved in events in town, or just get out and meet new people, this might be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know that no one seems to be interested in Listowel these days, or even a lot of previous days, but credit where credit's due for the Tidy Towns 2018 achievements. It's been a long time coming.

It's good to see that the people doing the hard work actually give a damn about their town, and hopefully it might inspire those folks in Tralee to get their act together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Congratulations to everyone involved in the Tidy Towns organisation in the town (and in all areas really). Listowel has been transformed in the last 30 years or so and really is a beautiful place to visit. Well done to all - richly deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I know that no one seems to be interested in Listowel these days, or even a lot of previous days, but credit where credit's due for the Tidy Towns 2018 achievements. It's been a long time coming.

It's good to see that the people doing the hard work actually give a damn about their town, and hopefully it might inspire those folks in Tralee to get their act together :D

Well done to Listowel, a great achievement. Tralee did well too though, up 9 points on last year and retained their gold medal for the 7th year in a row. Hopefully there will be a win one day too! But great for Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

In fairness the tidy town committee do Trojan work around the town... I’m delighted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fascinating and heartbreaking story about Listowel and the story of Peggy and Breda McCarthy;
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0807/983666-shame-love-in-shame/
    Well worth a listen on the way it was only a generation ago.

road_high wrote: »
    Fascinating and heartbreaking story about Listowel and the story of Peggy and Breda McCarthy;
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0807/983666-shame-love-in-shame/
    Well worth a listen on the way it was only a generation ago.

Just saw this now. I heard this extraordinarily poignant documentary on RTÉ Radio 1 yesterday for the first time and set up a discussion of it here. If you haven't listened to it yet, it's an incredible story.

Also, do any Listowel locals know of the farm labourer mentioned in the documentary that one local recalled took his own life in a local river around the same time (1946) and was refused a Christian funeral as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

Just saw this now. I heard this extraordinarily poignant documentary on RTÉ Radio 1

Listowel people remember Lilly Mai O’Sullivan

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/new-lease-of-life-for-former-sweet-shop-in-listowel-27363993.html

I remember the crime -as if it only happened yesterday.

Article said it happened 23 years ago but I was sure it happened in the mid 80's ..about 35 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Listowel Man, admittedly the optics weren't great but that's a very poor comment to make. I don't understand why you brought up a post from a few months back to diss the town. If you're a 'Listowel man' as your username suggests, you know as well as I do that Listowel has a lot of decent, hardworking people who voluntarily give their time to make the town a better place. Those people who shook the defendants hand believed he was innocent. That's their opinion. However, I'm full sure it wasn't because they already thought he was a sex offender. The vast majority of people here waited for justice to take its course. Perhaps the more likely reason for the massive drop in posting in this section of the forum is because of the death of one of its major contributors not so long ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BK92 wrote: »
    Listowel Man, admittedly the optics weren't great but that's a very poor comment to make. I don't understand why you brought up a post from a few months back to diss the town. If you're a 'Listowel man' as your username suggests, you know as well as I do that Listowel has a lot of decent, hardworking people who voluntarily give their time to make the town a better place. Those people who shook the defendants hand believed he was innocent. That's their opinion. However, I'm full sure it wasn't because they already thought he was a sex offender. The vast majority of people here waited for justice to take its course. Perhaps the more likely reason for the massive drop in posting in this section of the forum is because of the death of one of its major contributors not so long ago.

Did of the board members on here pass away?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

J.R. wrote: »
    I remember the crime -as if it only happened yesterday.

Article said it happened 23 years ago but I was sure it happened in the mid 80's ..about 35 years ago!
    You are correct 1982, have a look at the date on the article, it was published in 2005

BK92 wrote: »

Well said! Thank you.

Starlings...

Anyone noticed the starlings (I may be wrong on species) have suddenly started roosting out in the open on ledges on William Street? Hundreds of them.

Place is destroyed! Maybe it happens every year but I've never noticed it before - but possibly it's the despair at seeing McKenna's beautiful paint job from last year getting covered in scat!

Or is it a mild winter/global warming thing.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Did of the board members on here pass away?

This is open to correction by regular visitors to the thread, but by my recollection about 6 years ago Lovely writer unfortunately passed away.

Japandamo wrote: »
    Starlings...

Anyone noticed the starlings (I may be wrong on species) have suddenly started roosting out in the open on ledges on William Street? Hundreds of them.

Place is destroyed! Maybe it happens every year but I've never noticed it before - but possibly it's the despair at seeing McKenna's beautiful paint job from last year getting covered in scat!

Or is it a mild winter/global warming thing.

unusual, I've no idea as starlings are on the decline - getting scarce

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/birdwatch-ireland-unsure-of-reason-for-decrease-in-starling-murmurations-881693.html

J.R. wrote: »

Somebody pointed out that there were a lot living in the ivy on the buildings around the hotel. Could they have been displaced from there?

• Advertisement

It's great to see some semi-regular posting in the forum again (says the man who, until a few days ago, hadn't posted since 2015 :pac:) Much appreciated by all the diaspora, old and new ! There isn't much we're missing in Listowel these days between Listowel Connections and this forum, bar who's looking quickly left, then right before ducking out of certain hostelries, well after closing time - a few locations in the vicinity of Horan's health foods would spring to mind :pac:

About 6 months ago I left Listowel and moved abroad. You know Listowel is a very good place to live in when you're living there - traffic isn't too intense, sound people who give a lot of time to the town, fantastic efforts made in festivals and the arts and of course, a decent selection of pubs ! The town looks great too thanks to the constant work being put in by our outstanding Tidy Towns group. What you don't realise is how much you'll miss being able to enjoy all those things when living in a city in a developing country over 5,000 miles away. There's a lot to be said for being able to walk in a well kept town park, even at night, without getting robbed or assaulted, drivers having the decency to stop at pedestrian crossings and shopkeepers that will tell you 'not to worry' and trust you to 'bring in the rest of the money tomorrow'. I can safely say that the ease of shopping (in a practical sense!) and finding exactly what you need in Listowel is definitely easier than here, a city with a greater population than Dublin. What you can't get in Listowel can easily be got in Tralee or online (sorry Mary Keane RIP)

I won't be able to share old photos of the horse fair in Listowel or tell you who used to live 3 generations ago in 47 Church St, I'm on the wrong side of 30 for that :D But I will try to participate as much as possible from here on !

Anyway, not so long ago I heard there was someone going to be employed by the Chamber of Commerce on a full-time basis to promote the town, online and at events etc. Does anyone know any more about this ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Hi folks, Can anyone recommend a broadband/phone/TV provider in Listowel? Do you recommend the one you have? Thanks in advance

EDIT: Except Eir obviously. Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Oink wrote: »
    Hi folks, Can anyone recommend a broadband/phone/TV provider in Listowel? Do you recommend the one you have? Thanks in advance

EDIT: Except Eir obviously. Silly me.

I've been using Vodafone for 5 years and have had no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've been using Vodafone for 5 years and have had no problems with them.

I ditched Vodafone because they couldn't deliver on the Eir Fibre FTTH rollout setup a couple of miles outside of town. I went with Airwire and the 300Mbps offering (I think the 1000Mbps one is overkill :eek: ).

Isn't it still a max of 100 Mbps in the town itself, until "Fibre To The Cabinet" gets upgraded?

My experience with Vodafone is that they're okay if you never have a problem, but if you ever do, you find out how crap their "customer service" is. The general consensus seems to be that Eir is the same.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ... you find out how crap their "customer service" is. The general consensus seems to be that Eir is the same.

Not touching Eir - I’m not a masochist.
    Sky technician didn’t turn up.
    I’ll try Vodafone now.

After that I don’t know. I hear smoke signals are the next big thing.

Airwire? I’ll have to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Looks like there is finally movement at the old Convent although its at the side where they had the gardens etc.
    Trying to add a pic or two but Photobucket isnt cooperating :(. Hopefully will get something up later.

The new website for Listowel was launched on Tuesday evening by the Listowel Business and Community Alliance along with the three year economic plan for the town.

This new promotional video also got it's first airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I might as well say hello to Listowel as its the nearest big town to me. Thanks for the above post about the new website.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

My experience with Vodafone is that they're okay if you never have a problem, but if you ever do, you find out how crap their "customer service" is. The general consensus seems to be that Eir is the same.[/QUOTE]

AGREED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Sad to hear the death of Pat Enright R.I.P.
    Another young man gone,sympathies extended to all his family

Advertisement