Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Welcome aboard, Arcade. I'm looking forward to your future posts and seeing some more photographs.
    Your videos are really good, and no doubt you have a wealth of information to share with other Listowel lovers at home and abroad.
    Is Mr. McKenna planning a book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭*Lolly*

FBD RAS. LISTOWEL

Sorry about that LOLLY. I guessed it was near a girls' school on account of all the girls in the picture.

You are closer to it than I.
    I am thousands of miles away from Listowel, but I do my best.

Welcome to the Listowel Forum LOLLY :):)

Lol its ok sandhill and Thanks!
    Hmm Yes i read in ur Pro that u were from New york... when did you move over? or are ya just holiday'ing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cpowen

Progen wrote:
    I'm from listowel. Bit of a photographer so if anyone wants any photos of certain places, let me know and I'll be more than happy to contribute :)
    please can you help i'm after photos of oconnell's ave listowel new or old,
    my farther-in-law lived at nomber 6 for about twenty years before coming over to england about 1949/50 [he cannot rember when he came over he is 77 years old].
    he goes on about listowel all the time, and i would like to put a big smile on his face .
    ps; his name is daly if anyone can rember the family it would be a big help .
    thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

*Lolly* wrote:
    Lol its ok sandhill and Thanks!
    Hmm Yes i read in ur Pro that u were from New york... when did you move over? or are ya just holiday'ing?

______________*********______________________

LOLLY, I came here in 1972 .Always in Manhattan until 1996, then moved to Rhinebeck www.rhinebeckchamber.com
    Wonderful small town /village, smaller than Listowel BUT in the countryside.
    Meet many Listowel people here, or people who have been to Listowel /Ballybunion

cpowen wrote:
    please can you help i'm after photos of oconnell's ave listowel new or old,
    my farther-in-law lived at nomber 6 for about twenty years before coming over to england about 1949/50 [he cannot rember when he came over he is 77 years old].
    he goes on about listowel all the time, and i would like to put a big smile on his face .
    ps; his name is daly if anyone can rember the family it would be a big help .
    thank you

_________________*_____________________

CPOWEN :Welcome to the Listowel Forum . Hope someone out there can be of help to you and your father-in-law.
    I will see if I can find any photos, even of some schoolpals of his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Arcade

Arcade here from Listowel

check out the links to a page that has some photos of Listowel.
    I will get photos of o connell's ave for you over the weekend and post them for you and your father in law

http://LISTOWEL-IRELAND.bebo.com

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=819108043&n=2

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Lots of photos of Listowel here.
    http://www.iol.ie/~coganj/shop.html

I dont think there are any of O'Connell's Ave but glad to see that Arcade is helping out there

This is a name and a shop he might remember:

calendar1965423x5878jy.jpg

On his way to The Square he would have walked through this : The Small Square aka Main Street.
    Some business names from The Small Square:
    Finucane, Sheehy, Murray, Rita Dowling, Scully, The Freezer, Fred Mann, Cahill, Kennelly, M.Galvin( Maid of Erin ) etc

web20p1010012a20large20email20.jpg

CPOWEN

Some faces and names he may remember:

pg0403pw.jpg

pg0378wf.jpg

pg0365nm.jpg

CPOWEN,
    this is the best I can do from here in Rhinebeck New York.
    I am sure more up to date photos will follow. Good luck.

23 O'Connells Ave

23oconnelsave3qi.jpg

97 O'Connells Ave:

connellsave6un.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cpowen

Thanks you all out there for all your help:) :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I was introduced to the Listowel Forum a few months ago by my friend, Sandhillroad. Since then, I have enjoyed visiting every day from my home in South Carolina to see what is new in Listowel. I enjoyed the pictures of Writers'Week and of the Castle grounds and the life-size statue of our beloved Bryan MacMahon. The walking tour through the town and along the River Feale was wonderful. The Celtic architectural designs inspired me. Thank you -- everyone -- for your contributions.

massleaflet18june20062535x8081.jpg

page218june20062547x8088mv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi
    There was a stage production last year in St Johns theatre called The avenue.
    To provide material the producer held a number of informal chat sessions with some of the older Listowel residents most of whom were from the O'Connells ave area, these were recorded on DVD, if you think that they would be of interest to your Father let me know and I will source copies for you.

8766295473050bg5ac.jpg

2487295473050bg9pj.jpg

1204295473050bg3zq.jpg

1155295473050alb2tr.jpg

I was introduced to the Listowel Forum a few months ago by my friend, Sandhillroad. Since then, I have enjoyed visiting every day from my home in South Carolina to see what is new in Listowel. I enjoyed the pictures of Writers'Week and of the Castle grounds and the life-size statue of our beloved Bryan MacMahon. The walking tour through the town and along the River Feale was wonderful. The Celtic architectural designs inspired me. Thank you -- everyone -- for your contributions.

Nothing could be finer
    than to hear from Listowelmaeve
    From South Carolina
    On a sunny Sunday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Arcade

Hi Listowelmaeve

Arcade here from Listowel
    I have a daughter working for the summer in Myrtle Beach and I put a Listowel page on Bebo and MySpace for her to see Listowel if she got homesick, check out the links to them. I hope you enjoy them

http://LISTOWEL-IRELAND.bebo.com

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=819108043&n=2

Thank you, Arcade, for your welcome. I really enjoyed your video of Listowel with our own John B. Singing and narrating. He says what we all feel. I hope your daughter is enjoying her summer at Myrtle Beach which the locals refer to as "The Grand Strand." We live in Columbia, about 2 hours away. Slan go Foill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Hey, Sandhill and the rest of you Listowel folks:

1 minute, 43 seconds of video from Listowel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRNW2OU3Sbw&search=Listowel

SNOWSCORPION:
    Thanks a million for the video.
    Wonderful kids, wonderful dancing.

• Advertisement

Hello SNOWSCORPION Thank you for sharing the dance video. The dancers were wonderful and such a pleasure to watch. Listowelmaeve

Our own Listowel people

unsavedprojectm732x4161no.jpg

unsavedprojectlargewebview0nd.jpg

unsavedprojectlargewebtgview4i.jpg

unsavedprojectlargewebbdview1g.jpg

The Way It Was

This mural of John B. and Bryan MacMahon is located directly across Church St. From the Garda barracks.I took this picture on one of my visits. LISTOWELMAEVE

junealargewebview5xg.jpg

june2520063nz.jpg

unsavedproject1216x8056zy.jpg

Thank yu LISTOWELMAEVE for the photos. It takes me back to those days when we would leave the town for a week or so in the country. We, as children , either 'helped'
    footing the turf or saving the hay.We enjoyed the bottle of tea or Nash's Lemonade with a ham sandwich to top it off!

Last seen on Market Street , heading for Ballybunion.

tattoo5hz.jpg.

It glows in the dark, so you will notice him at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Sandhill, is that real?

Or is it photoshopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Bullock99

Tarbert is still the best!

• Advertisement

Sandhill, is that real?

Or is it photoshopped?

Good question ! I got it in an email this AM.

Advertisement