Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

unsavedprojectlargeemailviewzzzhi7825x1220cr1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Hello Sandhill Rd. Interesting pictures. In the first school "outing" picture standing between Mrs.Scanlon and Mrs.Crowley; could it be a youthful Mrs.Landers from Cahirdown? Also, in 2nd "close up" picture, the man in the centre is Michael Keane from Clieveragh, who was the head master in my time.BTW, I have only been aware of this forum for a week or so, and find it very interesting.

Also, re railway bridge on page 18; I believe that bridge is the bridge located between "the Soldier's Cottages", (or "Red Cottages") and "Bolton's Cross". The bridge I'm thinking of would take you from the Mail Rd.(Tarbert Rd) to "Johnny Connor's Wood", with "the Falls", where we often swam, beyond. Mr. Vincent Brennan lives just down this road, right off the main road.:) There was a well down that road and many people from the town would come to it for its cold, clear water. The tracks passed overhead, with a roadway underneath, as the picture shows. At the Cahirdown bridge, it was the other way round, with the tracks passing beneath the road above.

+
    +
    +
    unsavevel5.jpg

UpTheAshes wrote:
    Hello Sandhill Rd. Interesting pictures. In the first school "outing" picture standing between Mrs.Scanlon and Mrs.Crowley; could it be a youthful Mrs.Landers from Cahirdown? Also, in 2nd "close up" picture, the man in the centre is Michael Keane from Clieveragh, who was the head master in my time.BTW, I have only been aware of this forum for a week or so, and find it very interesting.
    Hello to UP THE ASHES (EVERYTIME) and welcome aboard the Listowel Forum.
    Is that a 'man of the cloth' next to Mrs. Crowley ?

I was thinking the young lady teacher may have been Miss Maureen O' Connor ( Courthouse Rd?)- or may be this photo was before her time at the National School, I remember she died young R.I.P.

Also did Michael Keane live in Upper Church Street.
    Do you know any of the lads in either photos ?

unsavevel5.jpg

Do I see Vincent Carmody 3rd from the upper right and Frank Murray , the bottom left?

• Advertisement

Hello Sandhill Rd. I am not able to ID anyone else in the photos. Maybe the pic was was before Mrs.Lander's time. Also, maybe Mr. Keane was from Upr. Church St. but I definitely remember him living in a bungalow in Clieveragh.

Lovely Listowel :

pg006a1018x864xh3.jpg

upperwilliamstaug620061294x970dm9.jpg

Not much has changed, hope all are well :):) in Lovely Listowel

lowerwilli1294x970vq5.jpg

pg006a1018x698gz5.jpg

page1ql9.jpg

page2cx5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Love the "then and now" photos. Very cool.

cclistowel1910367x561fi4.jpg

listowel1910hl8.jpg

• Advertisement

We thank you .

7628231493050bgae5.jpg

unsavedproject585x2973aqqa3.jpg

Thanks to all of you viewing the Listowel Forum.

If you have any photographs that you wish added to the Listowel thread you may either send as an attachment to an email or just mail photo to me via regular mail.

You can PM me for addresses.
    Thank you.
    John

Name these streets.

6077405493050bgaaaaalg3.jpg

5602894493050bgaaaaaaaaaaaact6.jpg

4814605493050bgaaaaaul1.jpg

I thank a viewer in Listowel for the above photos.
    Keep 'em comming !!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

...in the " Great School Outing " from Scoil Realte na Maidne c. 1949/1950 photo?.
    Anymore contact w/ Frank Sheehy's grandson?
    Did anyone ID the ' Streets of Listowel ' ?.
    Were they awarded a prize?.
    Mairtin.

...in the " Great School Outing " from Scoil Realte na Maidne c. 1949/1950 photo?.
    Anymore contact w/ Frank Sheehy's grandson?

Were they awarded a prize?.
    Mairtin.
    >><<<><><>>><><<><<><><<><><><><><><

Give 'em time and they will let us know.

Prizes are free trips down memory lane .

Also remember the Listowel Forum is :

24hours0dvvr8.gif

Hi SandHillRoad,

I noticed from one of your earlier threads that you mentioned Frank Sheehy. Is this Frank Sheehy the teacher and GAA man you are referring to? If it is, could you let me know any information/stories/anecdotes etc. that you may have on him as I am currently starting some family research. Frank Sheehy was my paternal grandfather and, whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him due to his dying before my arrival, my family has quite a number of photos, stories etc. that I would ideally like to add to. My own father died about 15 years ago so I'm doing my best at the moment to keep and get as much information together as possible.

Sadly I have only been to Listowel twice: once for the opening of the Frank Sheehy football park (when I was about 16) and the second for the fleadh cheoil (I was too drunk to remember that much about the place!).

Look forward to hearing from you or others that may be able to help.

Ok Lads, let's get the ball rolling again for AWAYYABLAGGARD ( Jack Sheehy's son )

As you view and travel down memory lane :I hope those are tears of laughter.

alboysws5.jpg

Oh, those saintly faces.

• Advertisement

A tribute to Listowel.
    And, who is that very handsome chap, third from left, standing, back row?.
    Did he make bishop?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Arcade

Picture #1 is taken of Market St looking towards william st from back near tarrants garage
    Picture #2 is looking up church st from outside hannons paper shop
    Picture #3 is looking down from carmodys corner at the corner of william st and charles st towards the square
    Do I win the prize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

It's hard to keep the camera straight when visiting them all in 5 minutes.

You can see Listowel, The Hill, Ballybunion and Loop head......Best views outside the browser with a zoom enabled application.

Arcade wrote:
    Picture #1 is taken of Market St looking towards william st from back near tarrants garage
    Picture #2 is looking up church st from outside hannons paper shop
    Picture #3 is looking down from carmodys corner at the corner of william st and charles st towards the square
    Do I win the prize
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats ARCADE. Your prize is the following story:

The Pastor of a certain Church in Kerry entered his donkey in a race and it won. He was so
    pleased with the donkey that he entered it in the race again, and it won
    again.

The local paper read: PASTOR'S ASS OUT FRONT

The Bishop was so upset with this kind of publicity that he ordered
    the pastor not to enter the donkey in another race.

The next day, the local paper headline read: BISHOP SCRATCHES PASTOR'S ASS.

This was too much for the bishop, so he ordered the pastor to get rid
    of the donkey.

The pastor decided to give it to a nun in a nearby
    convent.

The local paper, hearing of the news, posted the following
    headline the next day: NUN HAS BEST ASS IN TOWN.

The bishop fainted. He informed the nun that she would have to get rid
    of the donkey, so she sold it to a farmer for $10.

The next day the paper read: NUN SELLS ASS FOR $10

This was too much for the bishop, so he ordered the nun to buy back the
    donkey and lead it to the plains where it could run wild.

The next day the headlines read: NUN ANNOUNCES HER ASS IS WILD AND FREE

The bishop was buried the next day.

The moral of the story is....being concerned about public opinion can
    bring you much grief and misery...and even shorten your life. So be
    yourself and enjoy life... Stop worrying about everyone else's ass and
    you'll be a lot happier and live longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

warboy wrote:
    It's hard to keep the camera straight when visiting them all in 5 minutes.

Whatever about keeping the camera straight on this pub crawl, how come some of the pubs seem back to front?

Whatever about keeping the camera straight on this pub crawl, how come some of the pubs seem back to front?

image00113io3ve2lgic0.gif

How many pubs are now in Listowel?

Anyone have photos of either or both of those productions?.

The Slew Hall production was in Gaelic/Irish and was a musical, with the music from Gilbert & Sullivan's ' Pirates of Penzance '. The lyrics were written by a local priest, who, I think, was a curate in Listowel at the time and later the pastor in Duagh. One of the more famous songs from the production was: " Is mise an doctuir i gcuirt an Ri...", a rendering, as I remember, that nearly equalled the pipings of Count John McCormick.

The St. Mary's Hall production in 1962 was to commemorate the 1500 hundreth anniversary of the death of Saint Patrick ( in 462 A.D.)
    It starred a great number of the luminaries of Listowel drama of the day--Bill Kearney, Dick Flaherty and his Uncle from Charles St., & many other other sober members of the Listowel theatrical fraternity & sorority in those halcion days. A new recruit, one had had not walked on the boards since 1957 ( see above), a local likable lad, Marty Sheehy, played the part of St. Patrick as a slave boy in a brown gym skirt. Memorable!.

Extant photos of either event would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Anyone have photos of either or both of those productions?.

The Slew Hall production was in Gaelic/Irish and was a musical, with the music from Gilbert & Sullivan's ' Pirates of Penzance '. The lyrics were written by a local priest, who, I think, was a curate in Listowel at the time and later the pastor in Duagh. One of the more famous songs from the production was: " Is mise an doctuir i gcuirt an Ri...", a rendering, as I remember, that nearly equalled the pipings of Count John McCormick.

The St. Mary's School Hall production in 1962 was to commemorate the 1500 hundreth anniversary of the death of Saint Patrick ( in 462 A.D.)
    It starred a great number of the luminaries of Listowel drama of the day--Bill Kearney, Dick Flaherty and his Uncle from Charles St., & many other other sober members of the Listowel theatrical fraternity & sorority in those halcyon days. A new recruit, one had had not walked on the boards since 1957 ( see above), a local likable lad, Marty Sheehy, played the part of St. Patrick as a slave boy in a brown gym skirt. Memorable!.

Clair O'Connor played the much-coveted part of The Blessed Virgin, and appeared to St. Patrick Jr. and to the delighted & expectant theatre-going Listowel public from a large box where she resided since the play's/pagent's beginning located at the back of the stage at Her appointed time, at which time the box became illuminated and she--Claire--shone forth as Herself. Such patience, such loyalty to the Muse!.

Extant photos of either event would be appreciated.
    AND, would show to the world what talent resided in Listowel almost 50 years ago.

Advertisement