Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Could this be a freudian slip, I wonder: The Slua Hall or The Slew Hall?
    Is St. Mary's School Hall the boys' school hall which is now renamed in honour of Bryan MacMahon.?
    Good luck with locating the photos. Unfortunately people did not record everything in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Mr. Keane had a sister ( ? Lil--a single lady) who lived a few doors down from St. Mary's School, across from the Plaza and Jed Chute's house. Mr. Keane most often had his mid-day meal there. His home was out Clivereagh way.

unsavevel5.jpg

Do I see Vincent Carmody 3rd from the upper right and Frank Murray , the bottom left?

And, Paddy Fitzgibbon, upper left, two rows behind Frank?.

Is St. Mary's School Hall the boys' school hall which is now renamed in honour of Bryan MacMahon.?
    Good luck with locating the photos. Unfortunately people did not record everything in those days.

I laboured about the name, even unto surfing the web for the proper spelling, and could not find via Google or Yahoo ( & Freud had nothing to do with it, merely my fading memory.) Also, I did not know that St. Mary's Hall is now honouring Bryan, The Master, my third class teacher. Good, right & proper.
    Thanks again, Cherry Tree.

Whatever about keeping the camera straight on this pub crawl, how come some of the pubs seem back to front?

Ah, but the facades of the pubs are well, and soberly, preserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

As you view and travel down memory lane :I hope those are tears of laughter.

alboysws5.jpg

Martin Sheehy
    3 ( if not 4 )0'Murchu boys
    Is that a Keane ? ( Altar boy on left )
    Who are the others in plain clothes ?

Martin Sheehy
    3 ( if not 4 )0'Murchu boys
    Is that a Keane ? ( Altar boy on left )
    Who are the others in plain clothes ?

Up to a point, Lord Copper, you are correct.
    Yes four Murphy boys, incl. Kevin, R.I.P.
    Young Willie Keane from Upper Church St. altar boy on left.
    Tony Barrett smirking at camera behind. Joe Walsh waving to camera in front, and, I think, the latter's brother, Tom, hidden behind the Murphys.
    Finally, to the extreme right, front, is the late John Keane ( R.I.P.) of the Chemist Shop next to Guards' Barracks.

Does ' slua ' mean: a gang, a band [ of people], a throng [ of folks], a military gathering?.:confused:

Oh, those saintly faces.

...., does anyone have e-mail addresses of ( assuming they are not in detention): Tony Dillon, Batty Hannon, Frank Murray, Maurice MacMahon, Ray Bailey, DD Crowley, Jed Chute, Paddy Fitzgibbon, John [ Sandy] Fitzgerald, John Keane [ formerly of Church St., now Dublin, but his Mother down the Bridge Rd.], Denis Quille, Denis Keane, Vincent Carmody, etc. & from around Leaving Cert. year x 1962 at St. Michael's ( bless its Halls.)

I had many of them ( since the famous re-union of 2000 at the Listowel Arms) but changed computers and lost most in process.

Your assistance will assure you a halo & place in Heaven ( or a lodge in Ballybunion for the next ' Gathering '. Your call.)

Does ' slua ' mean: a gang, a band [ of people], a throng [ of folks], a military gathering?.:confused:
    The Irish word "slua" has all of the above meanings. You will find it in phrases like "an slua sí" meaning the fairy folk.
    I presume that in the case of the Slua Hall it refers to the Slua Muirí which was to the Irish navy what The FCA was to the Irish Army. Since this hall is now used by the FCA I can only assume that there was once a group of the Slua Muirí in town too. Maybe some local historian will enlighten us.

• Advertisement

pg1churchb938x1312mmmmmmmmmzd9.jpg

Eternal Rest to Fr. Kieran O'Shea

Most illuminating.
    Could it be that the Gaelic/Irish version of ' Listowl ' was ' Lioslual '?, as ' lios ', if I remember correctly, means ' a fort ' as in Fairy Fort ( viz. the ring of trees-lios-down the Cow's Lawn)?.

And furthermore, during the mentioned production at the Slua Hall, the ' doctuir ' had occasion to sprinkle some of the cast with angel dust or, fairy powder, dispensed from an Andrew's Liver Salt's can. I believe also that the front rows of the audience were sprinkled, making this production an early example of ' audience participation theatre ' and, perhaps explaining why some Listowelites of a certain age seem different than the others---ethereal, gifted almost. Who can say?.

Fr. Kieran O'Shea, R.I.P.

Page 2 Sunday August 13th 2006

pg22gc9.png

Ok. I have been away for a week and no new thread / reply since August 14th.

We have to keep this Listowel Forum on the move , otherwise it will just lag by the wayside and people will loose interest.

This is a means of reaching out to our long lost friends, school buddys. Here we share memories and keep up with the '' news that's going 'round." So come on and join in.Don't be shy.

Why You Should Never ever Lick Envelopes

What you don't know, wont hurt you, but these stories are sure worth knowing. :

"I used to work for an envelope company. Our plant supervisor used to work in the Chicago plant and told us not to lick the envelopes because they would often find dead rats at the bottom of the glue barrel (after thousands of envelopes had been glued and shipped).

I work in a factory and we have 2 employees who used to work in an envelope factory. They told me that when the machine jams up, they use whatever water is handy to thin out the glue. This includes water that they just mopped the floor with. Since then, I've avoided licking envelopes!

A woman was working in a post office in California. One day she licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut her tongue on the envelope.

A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, but they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything.

A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The doctor took an x-ray of her tongue and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery. When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled out! There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist. This is a true story reported on CNN.

I used to work in an envelope factory. You wouldn't believe the things that float around in those gum applicator trays. I haven't licked an envelope for years!

I used to work for a print shop (32 years ago) and we were told NEVER to lick the envelopes. I never understood why until I had to go into storage and pull out 2500 envelops that were already printed for a customer who was doing a mailing and saw several squads of roaches roaming around inside a couple of boxes with eggs everywhere. They eat the glue on the envelopes. I think print shops have a harder time controlling roaches than a restaurant. I always buy the self-sealing
    type. Or if need be, I use a glue stick to seal one that has the type of glue that needs to be wet to stick.

After reading this you will never lick another envelope or stamp ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cpowen

thanks sandhillroad

after reading your last post i will never lick an envelope or stamp again...................................................................ever

Neither will I !:eek:

Nor I

aaqqaa7.jpg

aaqhv9.jpg

• Advertisement

cellphonesph9.jpg

How Two Russian Journalists Cooked an Egg with their Mobile Phones.

Vladimir Lagovski and Andrei Moiseynko from Komsomolskaya Pravda Newspaper in Moscow decided to learn first-hand how harmful cell phones are. There is no magic in cooking with your cell phone. The secret is in the radio waves that the cell phone radiates

The journalists created a simple microwave structure as shown in the picture. They called from one cell phone to the other and left both phones on talking mode. They placed a tape recorder next to phones to imitate sounds of speaking so the phones would stay on.

After, 15 minutes: The egg became slightly warm.

25 minutes: The egg became very warm.

40 minutes: The egg became very hot.

65 minutes: The egg was cooked.

Conclusion ..1: Cooking eggs with mobile phones is possible but very expensive ($4.55 or 123 Rubles)

Conclusion ..2: Are your brains getting fried? How sensitive are they & how thick is your skull?

Bottomline: Keep your calls short!

Try it with a Hot Toddy and see what happens !

Last night in the Seanchaí we saw launched a wonderful exhibition of memorabilia from the 63 years of the Listowel Drama Group. Frank McNerney opened the night with a quick recap of his years with the Group and then Matt Mooney reminisced on some of the highlights for him of The Listowel Drama Group. We heard tales of a timid actress playing the part of a pupil in The Master who forgot herself and gave the "inspector" , her father in real life, a correct answer when the script called for a wrong one.
    Frank McNerney remembered the wonderful set for The Importance of Being Ernest which had the audience clapping even before a word was spoken and Matt told us of innovative and amazing special effects.
    A bouquet was presented to Margaret Dillon, the first Sive. Special mention was made of Bryan MacMahon, John Flaherty, Bill Kearney, Michael Whelan and other stalwarts who gave of their time and efforts to the Drama Group over the years.
    All of this was interspersed with a song or two from Matt.
    All in all a wonderful start to Heritage Week

Margaret Dillon .
    The original Sive.
    August 28th 2006 at the Seanchai, Listowel

4581751404050bg422x480qd4.jpg

2120751404050albfrankmcnenreyax8.jpg

FrankMcNenrey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Sandhill, I don't suppose you have an audio clip of Micheal O'Heir (that's probably spelled wrong :o ) doing the play-by-play from a football or hurling match. I remember his voice from childhood.

Sandhill, I don't suppose you have an audio clip of Micheal O'Heir (that's probably spelled wrong :o ) doing the play-by-play from a football or hurling match. I remember his voice from childhood.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The first broadcast of a GAA match was by a noted journalist of the time - P.D. Meighan - who had played hurling for Cork. Michael said it was also the first live broadcast of a sporting event in the world. The next GAA commentator was Eamonn de Barra and he was followed in 1937 by Canon Hamilton who made a major error in an All Ireland football final when he declared that Cavan had beaten Kerry. It seems he missed the fact that a final point scored by Cavan was disallowed and the match actually ended in a draw. In 1938, the inimitable Michael O"Heir came on the scene and continued until 1985

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Snowscorpion: No. I do not have an audio but there has to be an audio out there somewhere.

Last night in the Seanchaí we saw launched a wonderful exhibition of memorabilia from the 63 years of the Listowel Drama Group. Frank McNerney opened the night with a quick recap of his years with the Group and then Matt Mooney reminisced on some of the highlights for him of The Listowel Drama Group. We heard tales of a timid actress playing the part of a pupil in The Master who forgot herself and gave the "inspector" , her father in real life, a correct answer when the script called for a wrong one.
    Frank McNerney remembered the wonderful set for The Importance of Being Ernest which had the audience clapping even before a word was spoken and Matt told us of innovative and amazing special effects.
    A bouquet was presented to Margaret Dillon, the first Sive. Special mention was made of Bryan MacMahon, John Flaherty, Bill Kearney, Michael Whelan and other stalwarts who gave of their time and efforts to the Drama Group over the years.
    All of this was interspersed with a song or two from Matt.
    All in all a wonderful start to Heritage Week
    _ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Who can remember the casts names from the Original Sive?
    Any photos?

Listowel notes.

Seanchaí Centre:

28 August, 20.00
    Sixty two years of Listowel Drama Group. The launch of a special exhibition of posters, programmes and photographs of Listowel drama group established in 1944, and winners of the 1959 'All Ireland Amateur Drama Festival' with John B. Kenae's first play "Sive"

30 August, 20.00
    "Blian dar Saol" Filmed in Listowel in 1972 and narrated by the late actor Eamon Keane, this full-lenght documentary gives an insight into the social & cultural landscape of Listowel at that time. Introduced by film maker, John Lynch.

. The National Folklore Collection - recent acquisitions:

- The documentary film-maker John Lynch, Listowel, Co. Kerry, has donated copies of eight films shot by him in counties Kerry, Clare and Galway. John’s work has become more widely known in recent years, havingfeatured in Alan Gilsenan’s successful Home Movie Nights, and in the popular series Hidden Treasures by Loopline Productions. His finely crafted films are noted for their detailed observation of a variety of aspects of social and traditional life in rural Ireland from 1970 to the present. Among the titles he has produced, are:

• The Way I Remember it (1973)
    • Blian dár Saol – Listowel 1972 (1973)
    • Down by the Gortroe Gardens (1996)
    • Last of the Freerangers of Ballydonoghue (1999)
    • Cutting the Turf in Baunachaulig (2000)
    • Ace of Place (2000)
    • More than Four Roads (2003)
    • Fishing on the River Feale (2004)

johnlynchnl2.jpg

• Advertisement

_ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Who can remember the casts names from the Original Sive?
    Any photos?

Alana, to the best of my recollection:

Margaret Dillon, the prettiest girl in Listowel then & now,
    John Flaherty of Charles St.,
    Bill Kearney,
    Nora Relihan,
    Siobhan Cahill,
    Leslie Nielsen,
    Sean Cahill ( I think.)

Who have I forgotten?

May their memory live on in Listowel forever.

Advertisement