Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

In 1972 Ireland and Listowel were in a state of flux. Ireland was about to enter the E.E.C. - the great European community that was to change all our lives. Listowel was in the midst of its own celebrations of community with Tops of the Town, the Fleadh Cheoil and the Wren Boys. Local documentary film maker, John Lynch and his collaborator, John Pierse realised that there was something here that deserved to be preserved and immortalised. They did this in their marvellous film, Bliain d'ár Saol. Watching it last night in the Seanchaí in the company of local folk and the two Johns was a unique experience.
    John Lynch introduced the presentation with an audio recording of two of the songs from the local performance of the panto Hansel and Gretel. These set the scene for a night of enjoyment of local humour and talent. John Lynch gave a poignant insight into the trials of his early days as a cameraman. He introduced the film, giving praise to all his local subjects and lovingly recalling his hard work and enjoyment in the making of the film.
    Bliain dár Saol is a masterpiece that immortalises a way of live and a sense of community that is uniquely Irish and uniquely Listowel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

If you have seen Blian dár Saol then you will know who this young lady is. This is an early photograph, but she was in a few scenes in Blian dár Saol .

babewn7.jpg

At last nights viewing of "Blian dar Saol"

John Pierse and John Lynch

9158680504050bgbu3.jpg

Cathal Fitzgerald and John Lynch

5615480504050bgzk9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

If you have seen Blian dár Saol then you will know who this young lady is. This is an early photograph, but she was in a few scenes in Blian dár Saol .

babewn7.jpg

" The Mart ", as she used to call me, fondly salutes & remembers the young lady AKA, Mrs. Collins.
    My Mother & I visited her in Greenlawn Nursing Home just a few months before her unfortunate death.

Title:
    Listowel from the River.

aa1ape9.jpg

• Advertisement

pg059497x800ag1.jpg

pg060au5.jpg

pg1ua7.gif

pg2largewebviewqc2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Do you remember Ned Walshe's of Church St.? Do you remember Ned in his brown shop coat, lining up his bags of ration, his pitchforks and shovels outside his shop?
    The premises where Ned plied his trade until so recently is opening tomorrow as Antech, an internet café and Western Union Money transfer office.
    Today we had a funeral in Listowel. The deceased left Listowel aged 19 to seek his fortune in the U.S. He had a successful career in New Jersey and retired to Florida. He died at age 100 and his family brought him "home" to Listowel to be buried among his own people.
    The prospective customers for the Western Union branch have come here from places like Eastern Europe, China and India. Will Ireland be as good to these immigrants as the U.S. has been to our sons and daughters?

Lower Church Street.

antechev0.jpg

• Advertisement

Hello CHERRYTREE

antechlargewebviewza5.jpg

Hope you have your sound on for this.

viewcard.asp?code=RB27676890

Scroll to the end of the message !:D

antechlargewebviewza5.jpg

If only persons slightly outside town, e.g., up Ballygolouge way, could be persuaded to use this valuable communication tool.

AnBealBocht Quote:

If only persons slightly outside town, e.g., up Ballygolouge way, could be persuaded to use this valuable communication tool.

_13,643_______________________________
    Amen to that.:D :D

AnBealBocht Quote:

_13,643_______________________________
    Amen to that.:D :D

TORTURE may be called for!.

Quote by AnBealBocht:TORTURE may be called for!.

Water or Porter or the ould drip drip?

Quote by AnBealBocht:TORTURE may be called for!.

Water or Porter or the ould drip drip?

...Something more suitable to our gentle occidental Irish natures---being forced to stand for hours inhaling thurible incense.;)

shadowzg0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

im not from Listowel..........im from Castleisland :p

but well i think its a really beautiful town and id prefer if i was from there instead of here!! :eek:

since the opening of Kerry ingredients there, my family have for 30 years, been the largest transport company operating from there

• Advertisement

Listowel, Ontario

(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Listowel, Ontario is a town located in the Municipality of North Perth, created in 1998 during the amalgamation of several other communities in the northern section of Perth County, Ontario. Population 5,476 est. 1996. Listowel is named after the town of Listowel, Ireland, even though a majority of the early settlers were in fact Scottish and from other European countries.

Campbell's Soup has a frozen, foodservice and specialty food plant in Listowel. The surrounding area is mostly agricultural land located on the Perth Plain, dominated by the beef and pork industries.

Listowel has 13 churches and 8 car dealerships, and is known as "car city".

Listowel has been recognized throughout many surrounding rural communities, for several years to date (2006), as home to a thriving and especially dedicated skateboarding community. Despite continuous opposition from (relatively) conservative local, community activists over much of the last decade, Listowel skateboard enthusiasts have managed to establish and maintain one of the only, rural action-sports facilities in the region.

Listowel has a large Irish festival, called Paddyfest, which is held over the two weeks surrounding St. Patrick's day. This festival was first started in 1977 from an idea put forth by Dave Murtha to honour the large numbers of persons of Irish ancestry present in the Listowel area. Paddyfest is maintained by the Kinsmen and Kinette clubs of Listowel. The official spokesperson for Paddyfest is chosen yearly in the Paddyfest Ambassador Competition. Contestants must perform a speech, impromptu question and interview with the judges and receive the overall highest score to be awarded this position. A separate award of Talent is given out to the contestant with the highest score in the talent competition. Runner up and Congeniality are also awards which are available. Although the Paddyfest Ambassador Competition changed its name and official status from being Miss Paddyfest when first created, a male has yet to win the title. The last five Paddyfest Ambassadors are:

2006: Lindsay Hunsberger 2005: Crystal Jedrzejewski 2004: Megan Selinger 2003: Sarah Knight 2002: Michelle Jedrzejewski

sepr10thp1464x718vp1.jpg

sepr10thp2476x718gs6.jpg

Then and Now.
    18 Church Street

a1669x756iz1.jpg
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Didn't Ned Walsh work for Carroll's in the square at one time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Birds Amusements are already in "the Market".
    The lights, and the green and gold bunting are up around town...I think it's time for a blast of...
    "Puck may be famous and Galway be grand
    and the pride of Tramore echoes down through the land
    But I'll sing you a ballad and beauty extol
    as I found it long go in the town of Listowel"

Roll on Sunday and Sam ! Ciarraí abú

Found this url in you tube . It's a bit dated but it will put you in the mood for the Races.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPGIz8s40e8
    By the way are Sandhill and Beal Bocht coming home for Race Week ? If you are I'll meet you in Joe Broders for a pint !

The lights, and the green and gold bunting are up around town...I think it's time for a blast of...

Found this url in you tube . It's a bit dated but it will put you in the mood for the Races.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPGIz8s40e8
    By the way are Sandhill and Beal Bocht coming home for Race Week ? If you are I'll meet you in Joe Broders for a pint !

Many is the chalkware figure that dwels on a high percentage of mantlepieces of our dear town supplied by the prizes of Birds Amusements of days gone by.

I wonder who will have the best meat pies this year ?

Joe Broders,we could not visit Listowel without saying hello to Joe ( we are related ).

Thank you for the reminder of The Master.

I have a recording of The Master singing Lovely Listowel.

The Small Square, Race Week of days gone by circa ?( notice the buntings and the lighted horseshoe on the lightpole).

web20p1010012a20large20email20view20large20email20vieaj6.jpg

By the way are Sandhill and Beal Bocht coming home for Race Week ? If you are I'll meet you in Joe Broders for a pint ![/QUOTE]

...The Listowel Arms gathering on the Friday night after the Races of my old schoolmates. However, hope to get home for Writers' Week next year. Slan go foil.:)

P.S. Does Miss Cellaneous recognise himself ( ?CK) in the ' altar boys ' photo in an earlier post?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Beal Bocht, I'm afraid there are no photos of miss Cellaneous, You must have me confused with somebody else !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Any winners for the races?
    Been out of Listowel 20 years
    Hello to all.

Advertisement