Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

The is no intent at ' competition ', rather a free exchange of opinions.
    After all, there are The Ashes ( ya gotta love da Ashes ) & The Gleann ( dem bums) so, ' splits' , Brendan Behan notwithstanding, could be said to be part of human nature, like ' sin '.

You forgot about The Boro. I prefer the idea of " a menage a trois" than the split.

Another long article about the popular Listowel export (hopefully temporary)

http://www.the-kingdom.ie/news/story.asp?j=22165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cpowen

cpowen wrote:
    please can you help i'm after photos of oconnell's ave listowel new or old,
    my farther-in-law lived at nomber 6 for about twenty years before coming over to england about 1949/50 [he cannot rember when he came over he is 77 years old].
    he goes on about listowel all the time, and i would like to put a big smile on his face .
    ps; his name is daly if anyone can rember the family it would be a big help .
    thank you

:(
    :(:(
    :(:(:(
    :( please if anyone can help please do :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Awayyablaggard

Hi there Sandhill Road,

Long time since I've been on these boards - hope to get back viewing a bit more regularly from now on. Great photos, especially the close ups! I'll add these to my steadily growing collection of Frank Sheehy!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

You forgot about The Boro. I prefer the idea of " a menage a trois" than the split.

Another long article about the popular Listowel export (hopefully temporary)

http://www.the-kingdom.ie/news/story.asp?j=22165

Love, also, ' menage a trois ' or menage a anything.

Good to see Frank Sheehy's grandson back in contact w/ this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Hi there Sandhill Road,

Long time since I've been on these boards - hope to get back viewing a bit more regularly from now on. Great photos, especially the close ups! I'll add these to my steadily growing collection of Frank Sheehy!

Hello Again AWAYYABLAGGARD, Greeetings to you and "The Girls". Hope you are all well. Fond regards to M and tell her I send my best.
    Come back soon !:D :D

• Advertisement

Happy Holloween to all.:eek:
    Had only 18 kids at the door, so lots of chocolate candy left over.
    munch
    munch
    munch
    puke.

Scully's and O'Connor corner

f91boc5.jpg

k40vj5.jpg

Is it photographed looking up Church Street or down Church Street?

Hello Again AWAYYABLAGGARD, Greeetings to you and "The Girls". Hope you are all well. Fond regards to M and tell her I send my best.
    Come back soon !:D :D

Looking back at my recent post it seems I gave you the "thumb down" so here is "thumb up"

VIEWERS:

AWAYYABLAGGARD is Frank Sheehy's (R.I.P.) Grandson , so please check out his earlier posts and hope you can be of help to him.

nov5th1ge8.jpg

nov5th2yo5.jpg

Inter office memo

Kerry School District.

Our sister school teacher, Miss Mangartan, of Lixnaw asked her students to use the word "fascinate" in a sentence.

> > Molly Flynn put up her hand and said, "My family went to my granddad's farm in Trierneragh ,andwe all saw his pet sheep it was fascinating."

The teacher said, "That was good, but I wanted you to use the word "fascinate, not fascinating".
    > >
    Red headed Sally Scully raised her hand. She said, "My family went to see Listowel Races andI was fascinated."

> > The teacher said, "Well, that was good Sally, but I wanted you to use
    the word "fascinate."

> > Little Johnny Sheehy raised his hand. Miss Mangartan hesitated because she had been burned by Little Johnny Sheehy before and had heard about his fracas with master Flahattley in Listowel National School.
    She finally decided there was no way
    he could damage the word "fascinate", so she called on him.

Little Johnny Sheehy stood up and said, "My aunt Minnie who lives in William Street Listowel has a sweater with ten buttons, but her tits are so big she can only fasten eight."

Miss Mangartan fainted and is now in Tralee General Hospital under sedatation.No visitors allowed.

• Advertisement

62982sj7.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Very interesting. Is there any date or other information on the card?

CHERYTREE,

This is the only information on The Presentation Convent Post card

PUBLISHED BY : Valentine 48651
    Divided Back
    Size: 5½" x 3½"

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

In reply to Price of a Pint's query(10/14/06) about what's going to be built on the old market site; in this weeks Kerryman it says that the project has been given the go-ahead. There will be a major supermarket,shop units, an office block, apartments, and a restaurant overlooking "the Island".
    Originally there was a hotel planned, but there were objectors and the hotel was dropped.It is believed that Dunne's Stores may be interested in the supermarket site. I recall in the original planning application that there were plans for multi-storey parking, but the Kerryman article does not mention this.

UpTheAshes wrote:
    In reply to Price of a Pint's query(10/14/06) about what's going to be built on the old market site; in this weeks Kerryman it says that the project has been given the go-ahead. There will be a major supermarket,shop units, an office block, apartments, and a restaurant overlooking "the Island".
    Originally there was a hotel planned, but there were objectors and the hotel was dropped.It is believed that Dunne's Stores may be interested in the supermarket site. I recall in the original planning application that there were plans for multi-storey parking, but the Kerryman article does not mention this.
    I am sure for some of us there will be many changes when we return to Lovely Listowel.

Thanks to our Photograpeher in Listowel and to others for the up-to-date photos supplied throughout this Listowel Forum, when we do return, it may not seem that strange after all.

How long has it been since you were last in Listowel ?

For me it has been 7 years.

Mickey MacConnell sings "Xanadu" (The Alzheimer's Song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRcJNvKqH8

*********************************************************************************************

nov12th1mz3.gif

nov12th2dn3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Sandhill Rd, I was in Listowel in Summer 2005. I have plans to go again in Feb 2007 and Summer 2007. It is surprising to see how much building has taken place around the town, eg. where the railway line ran from Ballygologue to Cahirdown, John B. Keane Rd., Kenny's Heights,etc. I don't even know the name of many of the estates around the the town now. I saw an article in the Kerryman recently saying that people from Tralee and even Limerick city were buying houses in Listowel and commuting to work from Listowel because property prices are considered "cheap" around town.

Sad to report the death of Michael Cody of St. Michael's and the Ballybunion Road. Michael retired from St. Michael's in 1985 and enjoyed a long and happy retirement. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Paul McCartney was asked during an interview" Do you ever think you will go down on one knee again?"
    Paul replied" I know the divorce has gotten nasty, but i still would like prefer if you addressed her as Heather"

HAVING YOUR MOM OVER FOR DINNER

You don't even have to be a mother to enjoy this one...

Brian, living in Listowel, invited his mother, now living in Ballybunion, over for dinner. During the course of the meal, Brian's mother couldn't help but keep noticing how beautiful Brian's roommate, Maureen, was.
    Brian's Mom had long been suspicious of a relationship between Brian and Maureen, and this had only made her more curious.
    Over the course of the evening, while watching the two react, she started to wonder if there was more between Brian and Maureen than met the eye.
    Reading his mom's thoughts, Brian volunteered, "I know what you must be thinking, but I assure you Maureen and I are just roommates."
    About a week later, Maureen came to Brian saying, "Ever since your mother came to dinner, I've been unable to find the beautiful silver gravy ladle. You don't suppose she took it, do you?" Brian said, "Well, I doubt it, but I'll send her an e-mail just to be sure.
    So he sat down and wrote: Dear Mom: I'm not saying that you "did" take the gravy ladle from the house, I'm not saying that you "did not" take the gravy ladle. But the fact remains that one has been missing ever since you were here for dinner. Love, Brian
    Several days later, Brian received an email back from his mother that read: Dear Son: I'm not saying that you "do" sleep with Maureen, I'm not saying that you "do not" sleep with Maureen. But the fact remains that if Maureen is sleeping in her own bed, she would have found the gravy ladle by now.
    Love,! Mom

Moms': Try it sometime and see if it works !

• Advertisement

nov19thwr8.jpg

nov19th2rc0.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you viewing the Listowel Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Hi everybody I have not been here in awhile...how are you
    :)

We are well thank you and enjoying the 12th. annual Listowel Food Fair. Vincent Carmody launched a delightful new product range. He has taken old photos and shop invoices and made them into placemats, coasters and chopping boards. He was doing a steady trade at the craft fair in the Listowel arms today. Sandhill might get a chance to put up a photo later on when the U.S. gets back to business after Thanksgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

We are well thank you and enjoying the 12th. annual Listowel Food Fair. Vincent Carmody launched a delightful new product range. He has taken old photos and shop invoices and made them into placemats, coasters and chopping boards. He was doing a steady trade at the craft fair in the Listowel arms today. Sandhill might get a chance to put up a photo later on when the U.S. gets back to business after Thanksgiving.
    I would love to see a selection of Vincent's wares.
    I still have, & cherish, his book, ' North Kerry Camera ', of some years back.
    How about updating that book, Vincent, with some latter day photos?.:confused:

Vincent Carmody:

5148681144050bgpa9.jpg

1218481144050bgaq8.jpg

5771381144050bgzp4.jpg

The following photo is "off the record", but this is reported to be the scene at The Oyster Counter.
    Isn't that Sister V?

nuns3gq9.jpg

nov261pi9.jpg

nov262ge7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Just wondering does anyone have Vincent Carmody's email address I would like to contact him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

cpowen wrote:
    :(
    :(:(
    :(:(:(
    :( please if anyone can help please do :(:(:(

Only photo I have of O'Connell's Ave is this one. I believe it's of the people around during the building of O'Connell's Avenue. Note how new the plaster on the house in the background is. Picture of Pat McAuliffe in the backrow.

• Advertisement

That photograph is a rare treasure. Which one is Pat MacAulliffe? Where was the photo taken? The windows look too big for the Avenue. Can you date the photo? Who, do you think, took it and why?
    Nice to have Warboy back. You could have another rummage in your store of old photos. They are always welcome.

Advertisement