Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

strandstgz0.jpg

:D:D

Who is watching ?
    Now over 20 Thousand Views !! Thank you.
    :D:D

unsavevnp5.jpg

unsavedprojectlargeemaior1.jpg

unsavedproject1216x805lxj4.jpg

819208379mlq0.jpg

unsavedproject1216x777llb2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

That photograph is a rare treasure. Which one is Pat MacAulliffe? Where was the photo taken? The windows look too big for the Avenue. Can you date the photo? Who, do you think, took it and why?
    Nice to have Warboy back. You could have another rummage in your store of old photos. They are always welcome.

1934 I think. A clarification: the Pat McAuliffe in this photo is the grandson of Pat McAuliffe of Maid of Erin fame. I don't think any photo's exist of 'old Pat'.

Another version of the photo may have been published in Vincent's book a couple of years ago but I don't have a copy in the house. I believe there may even be a full list of names in the book.

dec3page1qx2.jpg

dec3page2qg9.jpg

• Advertisement

The lights of Listowel

2288263544050bgeu4.jpg

6429183544050bggd2.jpg

9535263544050bgto5.jpg

Shop Listowel this Christmas.

1259273544050bgpf5.jpg

2495873544050bgrm6.jpg

1225583544050bgmv2.jpg

2162683544050bgws5.jpg

3410273544050bgjo6.jpg

5943483544050bgrc9.jpg

7409853544050bgqo1.jpg

6794473544050bgyg7.jpg

1565073544050bgkh1.jpg

3853473544050bgqf8.jpg

7250763544050bgxz3.jpg

6794473544050bghi3.jpg

It's nearly 10:00PM ( USA time), soon boards.ie goes into hibernation. Please send any photos to sheehyantiques@msn.com ( mention Listowel in subject line)..

Happy window shopping.

Say you saw their window display on BOARDS.IE !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Another merry Listowelite has just left me here in Phoenix, AZ to return to ' home '.
    Jerry Sheehy, that intrepid traveler, having exhausted his energy & funds---for now---returns to the town of his birth....though not because an Imperial census decrees it, rather, having seen those lights & window displays, where would you like to spend Christmas...Phoenix, Bethlehem, or Listowel?. 'Nough said.;)

collinsgh0.jpg

< http://www.seebeforeyoudie.net/europe/ireland/Listowel/Listowel.html >

Drop by & leave your comments.
    We'll make Listowel the ' Cultural Capital of Europe ' yet!.
    ;)

BTW, you can add the above URL to your personalised Google Home Page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Who remembers this one from days gone by around Listowel?

Christmas is coming,
    The goose is getting fat,
    Please put a penny in the old man's hat,
    If you haven't a penny,
    A ha'penny will do,
    And if you haven't a ha'penny,
    Well God bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Are u from Knackeragua !
    Pennies are passe........euros are de bisness !
    I have a big bridge for sale.....
    HO HO ..........!!

Are u from Knackeragua !
    Pennies are passe........euros are de bisness !
    I have a big bridge for sale.....
    HO HO ..........!!

What is your memory of Listowel, Christmas past?

Remember those old jam jars ( wrapped in Christmas paper ) filled with sand and used as a candle holders.( the sterling was in hock that time )

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

OK. here's another Chrisrmassy one, slightly modified to meet Price Of A Pint's strict editorial criteria(and also to reflect the times that's in it).

The wren,
    the wren,
    the king of all birds,
    St.Stephen's Day got caught in the furze,
    so on with the kettle,
    and down with the pan,
    and gimme ten Euro to bury the wren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Desert Sands

I have just registered tonight - my father is Arcade and told me about this great forum. It is heart warming to see the lights and the shop windows - I recognise E J Stack & Sons with pride and excitement!! :D I am in a small city in desert of the United Arab Emirates and we do not celebrate Christmas here so it is fabulous to get some home grown Yule spirit.We just celebrated National Day though and the lights are still up - hope they will leave them until Christmas. Great to read all the news and follow the links to the other resources. Unfortunately I can't help with any of the queries, but I will be following the thread with interest. Take it easy!!

I have just registered tonight - my father is Arcade and told me about this great forum. It is heart warming to see the lights and the shop windows - I recognise E J Stack & Sons with pride and excitement!! :D I am in a small city in desert of the United Arab Emirates and we do not celebrate Christmas here so it is fabulous to get some home grown Yule spirit.We just celebrated National Day though and the lights are still up - hope they will leave them until Christmas. Great to read all the news and follow the links to the other resources. Unfortunately I can't help with any of the queries, but I will be following the thread with interest. Take it easy!!

No one could have said it better!.

William St. for it.

I know Listowel won't fail me.
    I got this most wondeful Christmas card from the friend of my youth, Denis Keane of Listowel & Dublin, this morning. I immediately wanted to phone call Denis to chat, but, for the life of me can't find his telephone no. ( I spoke to him per phone about 4 months ago.) Could someone e-mail me privately ( " private message ") with his Dublin phone number. Thanks heaps.

O’DONNELL Bridie (nee Leahy), formerly of the Corner House, The Square, Listowel on Dec. 4. Removal on Friday evening at 7.30 o’c from Lyons’ Funeral Home, Derry, Listowel to St. Mary’s Church, Listowel. Requiem Mass on Saturday at 11 o’c. Funeral afterwards to St. Michael’s Cemetery, Listowel.

To the neighbour and friend of our youth , Bridie Leahy ,May you rest in peace

Cead Mile Failte to another Listowel son, DESERT SANDS,.
    Keep in touch, as here is the next best place to being there.
    I hope you will get lots of Christmas gifts from E. J. Stacks & Sons , maybe a keg from John Bs.., a couple of sausages and black pudding etc from down the street..

Have you been to any Camel Races ?Could we see any photos of your locality ?

thankyoufq3.png

• Advertisement

unitedarabemiratesrel95wf0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Sad to hear of Bridie's demise......great friend of my mother.
    Welcome Desert Sands .......have a lunatic old friend who is an expat in UAE.
    Is also a teacher of english...great grandfather owned a noted bookshop on Church st.
    Have you met him yet........if so link him up to the thread.

O’DONNELL Bridie (nee Leahy), formerly of the Corner House, The Square, Listowel on Dec. 4. Removal on Friday evening at 7.30 o’c from Lyons’ Funeral Home, Derry, Listowel to St. Mary’s Church, Listowel. Requiem Mass on Saturday at 11 o’c. Funeral afterwards to St. Michael’s Cemetery, Listowel.

To the neighbour and friend of our youth , Bridie Leahy ,May you rest in peace

I remember dining w/ Helen Buckley in Woulfe's many years back and at an adjoining table were Peggy [ Leahy] Murphy and Christy ( RIP). Their occasion was that on that very day the doors of the shop at Leahy's Corner were closing for the last time.
    Peggy should know that she is not alone in her grief.

Hello all and thanks for the welcome. Firstly I am a daughter of Listowel not a son!! Secondly, the Irish Postal system did not disappoint and I got my Christmas box yesterday. Naturally, being a good daughter I have put my present UNOPENED under the tree and will wait patiently until the 25th. A keg from John B's will be tricky, but as it is my local I am sure Billy, Mary and Tim ( will raise a glass in my honour. I have met one or two people here from the Auld Sod but there are not many. Mind you, I am always amazed at how many people have been to Listowel or know of it. I am so proud of my home town and definitely agree with John B. - it is my "sweet, incomparable Home Town".

I was saddened to hear of Bridie Leahy's death. Being a "townie" I am fascinated by the old charcters of the town and have heard many great tales about Bridie and her ilk. I remember her of course - a very friendly and warm lady. Sometimes I think we will not see their like again. Our town has such a rich heritage and strong personalties, I feel privileged to be from there. When i am home in the summer I will be in John B's soaking up the atmosphere and stories!! Hopefully will meet some of you there!

I am a slight techno-phobe, but if my father can talk me through uploading photos, scanning, downloading, importing images and giving away my first-born child or whatever else is involved in putting pictures on this, then you will see them!!:p Great to see the map - Al Ayn / Al Ain is my little corner of the world.

Don't have a Christmas rhyme but was assailed by memories of the holly and Christmas trees stocked up on Shanahan's Corner and Mckenna's Corner the other day. I remember the excitement of the count-down to Christmas and the smell of Christmas Pine in the air as you hurried along the streets, dark at five o' clock. I remember how my role changed over the years - originally my main priority was to go to Jackie Mac's - past the holly bushes - and pick out my present for my letter to Santa; then I was a co-conspirator and helped my mom put presents away for the believers in the house; and finally lately, last minute mad dashes as I had to get the bits I forgot to get in Dublin. This is my second Christmas away from home but that smell - and excitement and those Christmas songs - are as real to me now as if I was there. Somethings are never forgotten, no matter the distance. Christmas in the desert is great - the men are dressed the same as the Three Wise Men so that is nice - but it doesn't beat home.

Slan go foill.

Hello all and thanks for the welcome. Firstly I am a daughter of Listowel not a son!! Secondly, the Irish Postal system did not disappoint and I got my Christmas box yesterday. Naturally, being a good daughter I have put my present UNOPENED under the tree and will wait patiently until the 25th. A keg from John B's will be tricky, but as it is my local I am sure Billy, Mary and Tim (hope he feels good) will raise a glass in my honour. I have met one or two people here from the Auld Sod but there are not many. Mind you, I am always amazed at how many people have been to Listowel or know of it. I am so proud of my home town and definitely agree with John B. - it is my "sweet, incomparable Home Town".

I was saddened to hear of Bridie Leahy's death. Being a "townie", I am fascinated by the old charcters of the town and have heard many great tales about Bridie and her era. I remember her of course - a very friendly and warm lady. Sometimes I think we will not see their like again. Our town has such a rich heritage and so many strong personalties, I feel privileged to be from there. When I am home in the summer I will be in John B's soaking up the atmosphere and stories!! Hopefully will meet some of you there!

I am a slight techno-phobe, but if my father can talk me through uploading photos, scanning, downloading, importing images and giving away my first-born child or whatever else is involved in putting pictures on this, then you will see them!!:p Great to see the map - Al Ayn / Al Ain is my little corner of the world.

Don't have a Christmas rhyme but was assailed by memories of the holly and Christmas trees stocked up on Shanahan's Corner and Mckenna's Corner the other day. I remember the excitement of the count-down to Christmas and the smell of Christmas Pine in the air as you hurried along the streets, dark at five o' clock. I remember how my role changed over the years - originally my main priority was to go to Jackie Mac's - past the holly bushes - and pick out my present for my letter to Santa; then I was a co-conspirator and helped my mom put presents away for the believers in the house; and finally lately, last minute mad dashes as I had to get the bits I forgot to get in Dublin. This is my second Christmas away from home but that smell - and excitement and those Christmas songs - are as real to me now as if I was there. Somethings are never forgotten, no matter the distance. Christmas in the desert is great - the men are dressed the same as the Three Wise Men so that is nice - but it doesn't beat home.

Slan go foill.

See what I mean about techno-phobe - I sent the flipping thing twice!!:o Oh well - in case you missed it the first time around!

Denis Keane & I talked this am. I found his phone no. appended to a book: John B. Keane: A collection of tributes, which Denis had sent me in Nov. 2004.

As of noon-time in Phoenix, AZ. no one in Listowel was left with a shred of a reputation, saving all those we love & they are all & everything to us.

We hear that Miriam K.'s new house up Ballygoloughe way is Listowel's newest salon. We hear that Anita is giving massages to beat the band, and we know that they will forgive us for saying so because they are of old stock and of our stock.

We hear much more that we can hardly credit, but we feel happy in knowing that Listowel does no wrong.

Fond mention was made of Bridie L., of Peggy L., of Rita Dowling, of our teachers at St. Michael's in days gone by, and, of course, of our contemporaries at St. Mary's & St. Michael's. We lamented the loss of that fine hewn mind of Teddy H's., M.D. We fondly mentioned Margaret D., Angela ( nee H.) F., Frankie C., and oh!, so many others. Men were touched on too.

We wished each other & Listowel a ' Happy Christmas '.

page2761x1061ab1.jpg

pg1758x1061fs2.jpg

By the way:
    Tonight, Dec 10th, at 7:00PM I will be 34 yrs in the USA.Seems like yesterday.:D

• Advertisement

Desert Sands quote:Firstly I am a daughter of Listowel not a son!!
    Then we shall hold you in high esteem as we do the Maid of Erin.

Will we see any of the Three Wise Men among the Wren Boys?

Somewhere back in the thread are instructions for uploading to this site. I think .

819208379m339x255hs8.jpg

Advertisement