Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

So what's up in Listowel these days

Thanks to CHAINREACTION

Happy Anniversary to the Listowel Forum and thanks to all contributers and to our viewers. :)

Nearly 21,000 views to date !

2zo6.gif

3381873544050albvk3.jpg

2056063544050bgdp8.jpg

2516353544050smid0.jpg

3277573544050bggb8.jpg

3616953544050bglv1.jpg

5886353544050bgvw3.jpg

8148463544050bgoe3.jpg

9884183544050bgab2.jpg

15xm5.gif

2730524054050bgxk6.jpg

3334463544050bgql8.jpg

3685424054050bgqb1.jpg

4235563544050bgxt8.jpg

4969034054050bgvm3.jpg

6067473544050bgvm0.jpg

9438524054050bgny9.jpg

9038334054050bgkl5.jpg

snowdeersq2.gif

If you see this girl say hello from me.

roof2394x453ww6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

A Christmas card I received from a friend in Listowel today.

xmaslistowel.jpg

reic wrote:
    A Christmas card I received from a friend in Listowel today.

xmaslistowel.jpg

Welcome back REIC. A lot has been happening and hope you visit Listowel to do your Christmas shopping.:D

Time to remember old friends, and good friends at John Bs

unsavedproject1068x850bh8.jpg

Seen this girl ?

mkdq8.jpg

If you know and meet anyone in this photo, tell them you saw them on the web! :D

mcconvilleqi6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

hello jim,had a long chat with an old classmate of mine last week.he say he knows you. his name is vincent carmody.I try to meet him every time i go back.you could not meet a nicer guy.I dont know if you got my email but i will be in phoenix from jan.6-jan.15 and would like to meet you for lunch or whatever.my e-mail is listowel8@yahoo.com let me know if you want to meet.we are going to st. thomas this week for my sons wedding and looking forward to a few days in the sun. the weather has been very good here so far,no real cold weather.where bridie leahy(leahys corner) died last week.not too many people i know in the square left. regards .mike sheehy.

Welcome to new kid on the block, Listowel8.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=RB27676890

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Hello Listowel8 from UpTheAshes.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Welcome too to Desert Sands.By the way, I met Arcade himself this year in Pearl River, N.Y. at the St.Patrick's Day Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Lest it get too late, too quickly, in the month:

Happy Christmas.

:)

Thanks to the power and the worldwide reach of the LISTOWEL FORUM on www.boards.ie
    I am happy to let you all know that long lost cousins have been re-united after many years.

So we wish them a Very Happy Christmas.

Now if I only could locate my half brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I wish all my relatives and friends in "the town I loved so well" -- Listowel -- a peaceful, happy Christmas and a New Year filled with truth, light, and "the peace that passeth all understanding." LISTOWELMAEVE:)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Guím rath agus séan ar gach éinne a léann nó a glacann páirt i gclár idirlíne Lios Tuathail. May we go from strength to strength in 2007.

dec17page1fh3.jpg

dec17page2sl5.jpg

dec17page3fq2.jpg

Jesus and the Samaritan Woman.
    Malines Alabaster.Belgium
    Circa 1588

p1010001pk2.jpg

christmas711x856xd1.jpg

To all of you in Listowel and those of us who are far away from home ,may we all have a Happy and safe Christmas.

• Advertisement

letterlggu8.jpg

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

By Francis P. Church, first published in The New York Sun in 1897. [See The People’s Almanac, pp. 1358–9.]

We take pleasure in answering thus prominently the communication below, expressing at the same time our great gratification that its faithful author is numbered among the friends of The Sun:

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

About the Exchange
    Francis P. Church’s editorial, “Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus” was an immediate sensation, and went on to became one of the most famous editorials ever written. It first appeared in the The New York Sun in 1897, almost a hundred years ago, and was reprinted annually until 1949 when the paper went out of business.

Thirty-six years after her letter was printed, Virginia O’Hanlon recalled the events that prompted her letter:

“Quite naturally I believed in Santa Claus, for he had never disappointed me. But when less fortunate little boys and girls said there wasn’t any Santa Claus, I was filled with doubts. I asked my father, and he was a little evasive on the subject.

“It was a habit in our family that whenever any doubts came up as to how to pronounce a word or some question of historical fact was in doubt, we wrote to the Question and Answer column in The Sun. Father would always say, ‘If you see it in the The Sun, it’s so,’ and that settled the matter.

“ ‘Well, I’m just going to write The Sun and find out the real truth,’ I said to father.

“He said, ‘Go ahead, Virginia. I’m sure The Sun will give you the right answer, as it always does.’ ”

And so Virginia sat down and wrote her parents’ favorite newspaper.

Her letter found its way into the hands of a veteran editor, Francis P. Church. Son of a Baptist minister, Church had covered the Civil War for The New York Times and had worked on the The New York Sun for 20 years, more recently as an anonymous editorial writer. Church, a sardonic man, had for his personal motto, “Endeavour to clear your mind of cant.” When controversal subjects had to be tackled on the editorial page, especially those dealing with theology, the assignments were usually given to Church.

Now, he had in his hands a little girl’s letter on a most controversial matter, and he was burdened with the responsibility of answering it.

“Is there a Santa Claus?” the childish scrawl in the letter asked. At once, Church knew that there was no avoiding the question. He must answer, and he must answer truthfully. And so he turned to his desk, and he began his reply which was to become one of the most memorable editorials in newspaper history.

Church married shortly after the editorial appeared. He died in April, 1906, leaving no children.

Virginia O’Hanlon went on to graduate from Hunter College with a Bachelor of Arts degree at age 21. The following year she received her Master’s from Columbia, and in 1912 she began teaching in the New York City school system, later becoming a principal. After 47 years, she retired as an educator. Throughout her life she received a steady stream of mail about her Santa Claus letter, and to each reply she attached an attractive printed copy of the Church editorial. Virginia O’Hanlon Douglas died on May 13, 1971, at the age of 81, in a nursing home in Valatie, N.Y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Arcade

Christmas Wishes From Listowel
    squarebl2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skyrider

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone. I recently came across these low resolution vintage photos of Listowel listowel_montage.jpg, does anyone know where I can get higher resolution copies of these images.
    Thanks in advance.

skyrider wrote:
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone. I recently came across these low resolution vintage photos of Listowel listowel_montage.jpg, does anyone know where I can get higher resolution copies of these images.
    Thanks in advance.

____
    _____
    Merry Christmas to you too, skyrider.
    Somewhere back in these Listowel threads is a link to a website with some, if not all, of these photos. Am not sure if these are low/ high res images . If I remember, you could purchase a postcard .

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Happy Christmas to all Listowelians. I was hoping to make a trip there after Christmas but circumstances have changed and it seems very unlikely. I'll miss that after Christmas trip. Have a good Christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

Yerra, sure there's no big deal about Crowley's a'tall a'tall. (How's my Kerry brogue? :D ) It's just the store I remember the most clearly. The Crowley's were friends of the family is all.

I'm doubting my own memory now but would it be possible that the Crowley's you refer to was "Crowley's Corner" corner of Courthouse Rd and Church Street. Next door was a off license Keane's (might have had a mini bar (in the Irish sense)). This was the main sweet shop for the boy's national school. I don't think they were teachers. I'm certain that Mrs Crowley wasn't the Mrs Crowley who was principal of the junior half of the national school.

It doesn't quite fit your driving directions though.

If so it got taken over by a name like "Hodgsons" and seem to change hands a lot recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

warboy wrote:
    I'm doubting my own memory now but would it be possible that the Crowley's you refer to was "Crowley's Corner" corner of Courthouse Rd and Church Street. Next door was a off license Keane's (might have had a mini bar (in the Irish sense)). This was the main sweet shop for the boy's national school. I don't think they were teachers. I'm certain that Mrs Crowley wasn't the Mrs Crowley who was principal of the junior half of the national school.

It doesn't quite fit your driving directions though.

If so it got taken over by a name like "Hodgsons" and seem to change hands a lot recently...

Ignore that. I landed on Page One of the thread rather than Last. Thought it was a new post....

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Tell all us ex-pats about St. Stephen's Day 2006 in Listowel, ye natives.

The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
    St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,
    Although he was little his honour was great,
    Jump up me lads and give him a treat.

Chorus:
    Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
    And give us a penny to bury the wren.

As I was going to Killenaule,
    I met a wren upon the wall.
    I took me stick and knocked him down,
    And brought him in to Carrick Town.

Chorus:

Droolin, Droolin, where’s your nest?
    Tis in the bush that I love best
    In the tree the holly tree,
    Where all the boys do follow me.

Chorus:

We followed the wren three miles or more,
    Three mile or more three miles or more.
    We followed the wren three miles or more,
    At six o’clock in the morning.

Chorus:

I have a little box under me arm,
    Under me arm under me arm.
    I have a little box under me arm,
    A penny or tuppence would do it no harm.

Chorus:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Wren Boys are a thing of the past. We had one group come this year. They were dressed in santa hats and sang Christmas carols. They had no clue about the long tradition which they were traducing. Next year we will have no one. We live in different times now. More's the pity.

Advertisement