Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Best wishes to all for the christmas season.
    let's get more people to join if we can.
    There are a lot of us out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Wren Boys are a thing of the past. We had one group come this year. They were dressed in santa hats and sang Christmas carols. They had no clue about the long tradition which they were traducing. Next year we will have no one. We live in different times now. Mores' the pity.
    ___________________________________For a vision of what it was like and as we remember it:

(copy and paste into your browser)

call.library.nuigalway.ie:8180/Pickow/search....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

___________________________________For a vision of what it was like and as we remember it:

(copy and paste into your browser)

call.library.nuigalway.ie:8180/Pickow/search....

The strawboys tradition is still very strong in Galway. It is considered very lucky if they come to your wedding reception and join in the celebrations. When the couple arrive home from the honeymoon there is a big party with a bonfire to welcome them home and the strawboys come to this party too.I was at one of these and it was a cross between bonfire night and a wren dance. mighty crack. Happy New Year to All especially Sandhill who is doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work. MC

The strawboys tradition is still very strong in Galway. It is considered very lucky if they come to your wedding reception and join in the celebrations. When the couple arrive home from the honeymoon there is a big party with a bonfire to welcome them home and the strawboys come to this party too.I was at one of these and it was a cross between bonfire night and a wren dance. mighty crack. Happy New Year to All especially Sandhill who is doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work. MC

For a photo of a group of Listowel Wrenboys:

(Left column , 5th photo down)

www.irishcorner.com/irishecards.php?mcat=aTozNzs=

Desert Sands quote:Firstly I am a daughter of Listowel not a son!!
    Then we shall hold you in high esteem as we do the Maid of Erin.

Will we see any of the Three Wise Men among the Wren Boys?

Somewhere back in the thread are instructions for uploading to this site. I think .

819208379m339x255hs8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Wren Boys are a thing of the past. We had one group come this year. They were dressed in santa hats and sang Christmas carols. They had no clue about the long tradition which they were traducing. Next year we will have no one. We live in different times now. More's the pity.

....as we in Listowel & throughout North Kerry looked forward to ' wran-boy day ' with almost as much enthusiasm as we did Christmas Day.

What else of value will we discard during this Third Millenium, I wonder?.

Ah, well. A Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year 2007 to all.

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.

wcgardenev0.jpg

Artist :William Clutz.
    Title : Red Garden
    Acrylic on canvas , 1968
    40 by 30 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Wishing everyone on the Listowel Forum health and happiness in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

From me too, 2 hours into the new year. Didn't make a trip to Listowel this Christmas. It used to be a very important part of my year, the atmosphere in Listowel is so much better than where I live. Circumstances prevented me from going this year BUT, I'm paying a weekend visit near the end of January.

Can't wait.

Go mbeirimid beo ar an t-am seo aris.

• Advertisement

decbpt1.jpg

decboy9.jpg

aqf3.jpg

jan7th1ca2.jpg

jan7th2en4.jpg

copyof12cz6.jpg

Moses in the bullrushes.
    Carved relief
    European pre 1890.
    JS Collection

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Please check this site out

http://landyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1444043

Nice Aerial Photos of Listowel:) :):):):):):)

Please check this site out

http://landyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1444043

Nice Aerial Photos of Listowel:) :):):):):):)

Thanks from Phoenix, AZ ( tho' a native Small Squarian.);)

This place is like Hamlet without the prince lately.

This place is like Hamlet without the prince lately.
    Me thinks, the prince, having run foul of the weather & the Claudius-Gertrude axis at Elsinore-on-the-Hudson, has self-exiled himself to the Isle of Puerto Rico for a nonce......where his madness will go unnoticed amongst those Carribes.:cool:

For a bit of my family history I have posted here a Photo of my Great Gran Parents and my Gran Uncle Edward (he was killed in a car accident in Chicago in 1926). The story goes he just received his position as a Professor at DePaul University 2 days before the accident..How unlucky can life be!!!!!

My Great Gran Parents in the Photo they built 31 Upper William St. plus a few other houses on the street.

Don Juan has returned from San Juan.
    Thanks Cherrytree and AnBealBocht :D:D

sanjuanhd4.jpg

oldstreet1ef8.jpg

jan14th1pk4.png

22yq9.jpg

16th Century holy book cover, silver.
    JS Collection

• Advertisement

Did you go see the Radio Telescope while you were there "The Arecibo Observatory " I believe its amazing to see it up close. I hope you guys had a good time there.

Hey Price Of A Pint I have been emailing you buddy...are you on vacation...call me over the weekend :D:D:D:D:D:D
    When you coming to Canada.................. We need to get together for one of these....or a good few of these .....lol

Hi Cherry Tree I believe I never thanked you for taking those Photos for me of my Homestead...I apologise...Many thanks for doing that for me...much appreciated. Please tell J he was always my Fav at St. Micks...a real cool guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

POIP is drying out after the holidays.......will be behaving until St. Pat's.
    yearly pennance........:eek:

Did you go see the Radio Telescope while you were there "The Arecibo Observatory " I believe its amazing to see it up close. I hope you guys had a good time there.
    www.laconchatower.com

Sandhill is back. God's in His heaven and all's well with the world.

jan21541x8042qn.jpg

jan212569x8049fb.jpg

jan28th1fo0.jpg

jan28th2wh8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 28 Church St.

Why is everyone using nicknames? Why am I? I just joined and saw that everyone else was and, not wanting to rock the boat, chose my own nickname.

To hell with the boat.

My name is David O'Sullivan and I grew up in 28 Church St. (or Ashe St. if you preferred), hence the handle. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA where, at this moment the temp is a balmy 5 degrees F.

Who are you all?

• Advertisement

Quote from 28 Church St. :

Why is everyone using nicknames? Why am I? I just joined and saw that everyone else was and, not wanting to rock the boat, chose my own nickname.

To hell with the boat.

My name is David O'Sullivan and I grew up in 28 Church St. (or Ashe St. if you preferred), hence the handle. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA where, at this moment the temp is a balmy 5 degrees F.

Who are you all?

A hearty welcome to the Listowel Forum to 28 Church St.
    I am one of the Sheehy brothers from The Small Square.
    Live in Rhinebeck New York.
    In regards to nicknames : forums work that way. Also it keeps us guessing :D .
    But we all have a connection to Lovely Listowel.As you can see there are a lot of people viewing this Forum, and like you ,hope they will join in as well.The Listowel Forum has had over Twentythree thousand views to date !!. Some even your neighbours ?
    _

unsavedproject1216x777kh1.jpg

Advertisement