Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

hi,
    i am here with my son declan.......communion yesterday.....
    small party last night......regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

hi,
    i am here with my son declan.......communion yesterday.....
    small party last night......regards.

Congratulations to Declan on his First Holy Communion.
    Remember when we made ours we had our Communion breakfast at Eilleen Moran's in Church Street..
    I hope Declan saved some money for his dad for the Price of a Pint

For the record: Sandhillroad has ,after 40 yrs, ceased smoking as of April 15th 2007.:) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I am delighted that Sandhill Road has told us that he had stopped smoking. As an encouragement to stay off smokes in future will he promise to tell us On the Listowel Thread if he goes back to the noxious weed.

Having given up smoking the pipe about 15 years ago I can assure him that it does get easier EVENTUALLY.

I am delighted that Sandhill Road has told us that he had stopped smoking. As an encouragement to stay off smokes in future will he promise to tell us On the Listowel Thread if he goes back to the noxious weed.

Having given up smoking the pipe about 15 years ago I can assure him that it does get easier EVENTUALLY.

Promise !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

One of our own ( who, on this board, uses as his nom de cyber, 28 Church St., D. O'S.), carrying on a fine Listowel tradition in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, is currently acting in his own creation " American Organic ".

< http://oneeyedhog.org >

Listowel and its ex-pats, I am sure, send him our very best. :)

• Advertisement

00fc1ei4.jpg

doosullivanei6.jpg
    One of our own ( who, on this board, uses as his nom de cyber, 28 Church St., D. O'S.), carrying on a fine Listowel tradition in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, is currently acting in his own creation " American Organic ".

< http://oneeyedhog.org >

Listowel and its ex-pats, I am sure, send him our very best. :)

april29a2007rc2.jpg

april29b2007rt8.jpg

Michael Keane

AT his funeral Mass, Michael Keane's young grandson, Cillian, said, "Michael wasn't a good grandad, he was a great grandad."

My godfather Michael, who has died at 84, following a stroke, was also a don to a community of family, friends and strangers who entered his world of warmth, support and stories. Born in Listowel in 1923, and with creative brothers such as John B, Eamon and Denis Keane, it's no surprise that his life centred around talking and listening, creating and nurturing.

Married to Joan for 50 happy years, Michael and his wife also relished their mutual independence.

While Michael lived in CJ Haughey's constituency, he had what amounted to his own Dail. He would embark on a shopping errand at 11am and then reappear five hours later; on these unofficial 'walkabouts' he would meet his fellow 'parliamentarians': a diverse collection of vagabonds, surrealists, bankers and jockeys; both country and city types. This cathedral of community lived by 'The Story': You tell yours and I'll tell mine.

Inherent in all these conversations was Michael's support for anyone who needed help. His daughter, Michelle, told me how a stranger came up to her in the church after the funeral, saying, "He helped and supported me so much. When I saw the name in the paper I had to come."

The person in question worked in the Department of Education where Michael was instrumental in getting so many projects moving.

I met many others with similar testimonies.

Michael Keane also served during the Second World War years in Communications as a Morse Code operator.

His gift was for both the written and the spoken; grandchildren Cillan and Aisling awaited his original stories more than the next Harry Potter epistle, enthralled by his "man who lived under the bed" tales. As well from his writings for Independent Newspapers, Michael Keane also wrote his humorous How to Succeed in Business book.

However there was an even greater creation: his and Joan's nurturing of Michelle and Brendan. Brendan held his father's hand through his stroke; they had a quiet, unspoken genuine bond. Michelle displayed all her father's strength, kindness and humanity in the aftermath of his death.

As they, and his surviving siblings, Denis, Peig, Anne and Sheila, mourn Michael's loss, they will, like me, be comforted by the stories, and perhaps hear familiar footsteps as the Mayor of Donnycarney sets off on that grand tour through Heaven's Gate.

Eamon Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 28 Church St.

Good Lord! Where did you find that picture?
    The show is over now. It was a great success. Audiences could have been bigger but that's always the case. How are Writer's Week preparations going?

• Advertisement

The show is over now. It was a great success. Audiences could have been bigger but that's always the case. How are Writer's Week preparations going?

Hi 28ChurchStreet it is just one of a few photos I have found
    Is this you ??

ec7684c27be45fa1a9b7baaoo5.jpg

There was never a doubt in Listowel's mind but that you would have a ringing success, D. Good for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Everyone,
    As you all know about Vincent's trip to NY and his shows in Yonkers and Queens.....I need some help.
    Vincent requires a digital projector and screen which I will supply.
    The need for a laptop and somebody to load and show the pictures is what we need. The photos are on a CD-ROM. so you will need some sort of photo software.
    Any volunteers ??

Having spoken via phone to Denis [Keane] yesterday, I can say that, having saluted Michael's life, Denis & the family begin to recover.

A Saturday in July 1954.

1176rn5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Circuit judge Bryan McMahon (well known to law students of the last quarter-century as author of the leading textbook on the law of torts) is promoted to the High Court. A Listowel man and the son of the writer of the same name, Judge McMahon is also chairman of the Abbey Theatre and of the National Archives Advisory Council, as well as holding an adjunct professorship at University College Cork. Indeed, as he recalled in a 2000 speech to law and commerce graduates, Judge McMahon has a long connecton with UCC. An Irish Independent article described him as "an eminent jurist" and "clearly material that deserves a position on the Supreme Court." Before being a judge, he was a solicitor.

may5aus4.jpg

may5bjpglt1.jpg

Will you be there ?

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    vincentslettereu2.jpg

Congratulations to the new Grandad !

unsavedproject1216x8053ml9.jpg

a granddaughter

See you in Yonkers !:D :D

vincentslettereu2.jpg

• Advertisement

Circuit judge Bryan McMahon (well known to law students of the last quarter-century as author of the leading textbook on the law of torts) is promoted to the High Court. A Listowel man and the son of the writer of the same name, Judge McMahon is also chairman of the Abbey Theatre and of the National Archives Advisory Council, as well as holding an adjunct professorship at University College Cork. Indeed, as he recalled in a 2000 speech to law and commerce graduates, Judge McMahon has a long connecton with UCC. An Irish Independent article described him as "an eminent jurist" and "clearly material that deserves a position on the Supreme Court." Before being a judge, he was a solicitor.

Bryan was one of the two prefects ( ?Thomas Ashe the other) that first year that I was in St. Michael's College x 1957. ( Mein Gott..50 yrs. ago!)

Much congratulations & well-earned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

I hope Vincent and all assembled Listowellians have a whale of a time! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos!

Vincent Carmody brings time warp to Yonkers

p1010011816x611qj7.jpg

p1010005816x611ni6.jpg

p1010007816x611st9.jpg

p1010008816x397kw1.jpg

p1010009816x611fl9.jpg

p1010013816x611wq8.jpg

p1010016623x824bq7.jpg

Happy to see BOARDS.IE was well represented.

mothersdayeq9.jpg

may13asv9.jpg

may13bnj4.jpg

17565zzab7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

Nice map Sandhill. Another nice one here but not as detailed: http://www.antiquemaps.com/uk/ireland/16155.jpg

Anyone have old maps of Listowel Town?

I've seen the 6" Griffith Valuations (1834-1842), the 25" (1887) but not much more. I do remember seeing maps in "Listowel and it's vicinity" but don't have a copy to hand. I remember a series of maps showing the town's development that I'd love to see again but I don't recall if the were real maps from referenced sources or author drawn maps for the book. Does anyone know if there were references to go with the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

The Presentation Convent and Convent chapel are to close. The property is too big for the six remaining Sisters, and will be sold according to Radio Kerry. It will be hard to imagine the town without "the Convent".(and the Nuns).
    Also, a special Thank You to Vincent Carmody for two very entertaining evenings at the Kerryman's Building in Yonkers and Sean Og's Bar in Queens.

f4331lg9.jpg

d2961ze3.jpg

• Advertisement

No ,it is not the Bridge of sighs!

sa400006mr9.jpg

Advertisement