Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

1aug19891x1245zb7.jpg

2aug19864x1245dh6.jpg

A WORTHWHILE TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!!!

clik on the link below:

http://www.tropicalglen.com/

When you click on the link above, it will take you to a jukebox with different years listed. Click on the year you want to hear. When the music starts, you can move the curser in the playback down and see all the songs associated with that year.
    If you love music........this site is for you. Pick the year and enjoy all the hits. You can let it play through the entire list of that year or highlighting a particular song will play it instantaneously.

ENJOY AND HAVE FUN ! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

0959listowelmapov6.th.jpg

SNOWSCORPION <thanks for the map of Listowel.
    Now I know where John B Keane Rd begins and ends.

0959listowelmapov6xj7.jpg

1aug26mb2.png

2augbl2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lled14

Thank you for the jukebox link SandhillRoad. I have just spent a wonderful evening listening to 50's and 60's tunes........happy times!!

lled14 wrote:
    Thank you for the jukebox link SandhillRoad. I have just spent a wonderful evening listening to 50's and 60's tunes........happy times!!

As I said "A WORTHWHILE TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!!!"

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I have and there are many more hours of happy listening:cool: :cool:

http://www.tropicalglen.com/

The Kerryman
    Wednesday August 22 2007

You're home now Briede after a life filled with a great sense of fun

Briede Murphy nee Flavin, of Church Street, Listowel
    and Church Road, Athy passed away peacefully on July 27 last at the age of 91.

Big hearted Briede will be greatly missed by her devoted husband Denis, her loving daughters Patricia, Denise and Ann, her grandchildren Kevin, Conor, Tara, Michelle, Jennifer and Leann, sons-in -law Barry, Adrian and Lenny, her brother Jack, her nephews, nieces and many friends.

Briede had a great life and was always full of vitality and fun.

Her husband Denis visited Briede every day in hospital and the couple never missed morning Mass. Denis and the family expressed their heartfelt gratitude to the staff of St Vincent's in Athy and Father Ross who were very good to Briede.

The Flavins are a famous Listowel family. Briede's uncle MJ was a nationalist MP and was removed from the House of Commons for singing God Save Ireland.

Her Father Dan defied the censorship laws and sold Ulysses. He was jailed during The War of Independence by the Black and Tans and neighbour Brian McMahon lists the presence of Flavin's bookshop as a formative influence on the Listowel writers. The shop is still run by the family

Briede's first husband, Gerard Kenny, was a detective and he died a young man.

Briede and Denis who were next door neighbours had their first date in John B Keane's Bar on St Stephen's night 1956. John B and Denis were cousins and close friends .The two spent four years working in England and before Denis returned to Britain he told his pal he would be married to Briede within the year. And so it came to pass. Briede was a number of years older than Denis but it was a match made in heaven and the two best friends sparkled in each others company.

Denis rose through the ranks and eventually was appointed Managing Director of Mc Gregor's Ireland and he soon turned the opencast coalmine near Castlecomer into a thriving concern. The couple were blessed with three lovely girls. Denis always acknowledged Briede?s support and advice was a major influence in his management of Ireland's most successful coal mine.

Briede was a woman who lived life to the full. She never missed a Kerry game and loved a drink and a singsong. Denis and herself were soulmates. The banter between the two was always lively and they travelled everywhere together. One of their proudest days was when their horse, Flute Player, won the 1986 Kerry National in Listowel. Never before were such scenes of elation seen in the parade ring. The wonder horse won seven out of eight in Kerry and was bred by the Murphys.

The three girls have fond memories of Briede. She was a wonderful cook and mother who never lost her sense of fun. The summer holidays in Glenbeigh where Briede and Denis had so many friends were the highlight of every summer.

Denis and Briede travelled extensively in their retirement and visited their daughter Ann in Australia.

Briede celebrated her 90th birthday and her golden wedding anniversary in February 2006 in St Vincent's with her family.

There was a large gathering and friends at St Vincent's to say goodbye to the Kerry woman who loved Kildare but it was always Briede's wish to be buried in her Lovely Listowel.

As the funeral cortege passed Briede's home in Church Street Denis simply said, Briede you're home now.

Beannacht De lena anam

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Lovely, absolutely lovely.

We laid Sr. de Pazzi in her final resting place on Saturday Sept 1. The plaintive voices of her sisters in religious life singing the Salve Regina at her graveside was a harsh reminder to all present that we were witnessing the end of an era. Today the remaining sisters finally leave the convent their order has occupied for 164 years.
    Sr. de Pazzi was a legend. She was principal of Presentation Secondary School Listowel from 1944 to 1974. During her 30 year reign the school grew and developed. She was a woman before her time.
    When she left Listowel she went on to teach in Milstreet and then to Ardfert where she managed the retreat centre.
    Then she "retired" to Listowel but continued her humanitarian work among the marginalised and disadvantaged. She was well known in Listowel for her "corporal works of mercy" and many lives were enriched by her presence.
    She was 89 at the time of her death, at the end of a long and fruitful life. May she rest in peace.
    Leaba i measc na naomh dá h-anam dílis.

• Advertisement

sept21956x1245pz3.jpg

sept221040x1245ks2.jpg

REAL 911 Calls! :

Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is your emergency?
    Caller: I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner.
    Dispatcher: Do you have an address?
    Caller: No, I have on a blouse and slacks, why?

Caller: Someone broke into my house and took a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich .
    Dispatcher: Excuse me?
    Caller : I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the kitchen table and when I came
    back from the bathroom, someone had taken a bite out of it.
    Dispatcher: Was anything else taken?
    Caller: No, but this has happened to me before and I'm sick and tired of it!

Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is the nature of your emergency?
    Caller: I'm trying to reach nine eleven but my phone doesn't have an eleven on it.
    Dispatcher: This is nine eleven.
    Caller: I thought you just said it was nine-one-one
    Dispatcher: Yes, ma'am nine-one-one and nine-eleven are the same thing.
    Caller: Honey, I may be old, but I'm not stupid.

Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What's the nature of your emergency?
    Caller: My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart
    Dispatcher: Is this her first child?
    Caller: No, you idiot! This is her husband!

And the winner is..........

Dispatcher: 9-1-1
    Caller: Yeah, I'm having trouble breathing. I'm all out of breath. Darn....I think I'm going to pass out.
    Dispatcher: Sir, where are you calling from?
    Caller: I'm at a pay phone. North and Foster.
    Dispatcher: Sir, an ambulance is on the way. Are you an asthmatic?
    Caller: No
    Dispatcher: What were you doing before you started having trouble breathing?
    Caller: Running from the Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

It is with great sadness that I report the death of my brother, John Sheehy, nic ' Sandhill Road ' on Thursday Sept. 6th. John will be cremated/buried in Rhinebeck, NY on Monday Sept. 10th., 2007, following a Funeral Mass at the Good Shepherd Catholic Church. A Mass is planned in Listowel, on or about Sept. 22nd. Details to follow.
    The Blessings of God on his soul.

John greatly enjoyed this Listowel thread, as we enjoyed his posts. He will be missed.
    Marty.
    REAL 911 Calls! :

Caller: I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner.
    Dispatcher: Do you have an address?
    Caller: No, I have on a blouse and slacks, why?

Caller: Someone broke into my house and took a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich .
    Dispatcher: Excuse me?
    Caller : I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the kitchen table and when I came
    back from the bathroom, someone had taken a bite out of it.
    Dispatcher: Was anything else taken?
    Caller: No, but this has happened to me before and I'm sick and tired of it!

Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is the nature of your emergency?
    Caller: I'm trying to reach nine eleven but my phone doesn't have an eleven on it.
    Dispatcher: This is nine eleven.
    Caller: I thought you just said it was nine-one-one
    Dispatcher: Yes, ma'am nine-one-one and nine-eleven are the same thing.
    Caller: Honey, I may be old, but I'm not stupid.

Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What's the nature of your emergency?
    Caller: My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart
    Dispatcher: Is this her first child?
    Caller: No, you idiot! This is her husband!

And the winner is..........

Dispatcher: 9-1-1
    Caller: Yeah, I'm having trouble breathing. I'm all out of breath. Darn....I think I'm going to pass out.
    Dispatcher: Sir, where are you calling from?
    Caller: I'm at a pay phone. North and Foster.
    Dispatcher: Sir, an ambulance is on the way. Are you an asthmatic?
    Caller: No
    Dispatcher: What were you doing before you started having trouble breathing?
    Caller: Running from the Police.

We all owe a great deal to John, R.I.P. He was invariably kind, generous and courteous to us all on the thread. This place will not be the same without him. God rest his gentle soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I was shocked and saddened by the untimely passing of John Sheehy (our Sandhill Road). I feel as though I have lost a member of my family. It was John who introduced me to the Thread. In fact, he was the Thread and it was John who kept the old Listowel alive.. I hope that in his memory we can work to keep the Thread going. John was an honorable person whose word was gospel. He personally helped me to clarify certain matters involving the history of my own family which otherwise could not have been resolved. May John rest in peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

oh, thats very sad news about john/sandhillroad

i never posted on here much, but i always read the posts, so as to keep up with what was happening around the town. he made me feel welcome with a friendly post after i first joined the board.

condolences to you and yours marty.

ellen

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

It is with great shock and sadness that I learn this news.
    "Sandhill Road' will be truly missed.
    He was the heart and soul of this forum.
    Condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Aw, damn. I'm so sorry to hear the news.

I owe John a debt of gratitude for keeping the Ballybunion thread going while I was gone.

My condolences to you and your entire family, Marty.

c020.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

I am saddened to hear of John 's passing. I only got to meet him once - at Vincent Carmody's photo exhibition in Yonkers this May, but I feel that I knew him much better than that. He was a driving force on this forum (and also the Ballybunion thread) and he will be greatly missed here. He was a great Kerryman, and a great Listowel man.
    My condolences to Mike, Martin, his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Like many of the other "lurkers" (to use John's phrase) I rarely contributed to the Listowel Thread. At the same time I always read the contributions and I particularly liked John's old photographs.

I never met John but on any future visit to Ballybunnion, the name "Sandhill Road" will always evoke grateful memories of the Listowel man from the "Small Square".

• Advertisement

To all who have expressed condolences on John's untimely passing here on the Listowel thread & on the Ballybunion thread ( & he loved both towns equally), his four brothers thank you.
    As I said at his funeral mass in Rhinebeck, NY yesterday:
    " After life's fitful fever he sleeps well. "

Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

I didn't really know John Sheehy at all. I suspect that I am like many others who read the Listowel and Ballybunion Threads in that respect. I remember him vaguely as being one of the younger Sheehy brothers yet every time I opened the L & B Threads I looked forward to reading his contributions or viewing the many and varied photos and old postcards. I have no doubt that he was a very interesting person and good company. Perhaps, in time, Beal Bocht or one of his friends (and I feel he had many) would tell us a little more about John and his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

With the help of the church authorities in Listowel, I will try to put a copy of the newsletter on the Listowel thread every week.

It is very sad that the first one gives details of the memorial mass for John in the hospital chapel next Friday.

Excellent. What better way to pay tribute to John's memory than to continue the practice he was so much involved with of bringing the Church Newsletter to those living away from Listowel.

Excellent. What better way to pay tribute to John's memory than to continue the practice he was so much involved with of bringing the Church Newsletter to those living away from Listowel.

It is much appreciated that you posted this week's St. Mary's Church neswletter & that you plan to do with future newsletters.

Martin Sheehy ( AKA AnBealBocht).

To preserve all those photos &, increasingly, videos of our unique, fascinating, varied home town of Listowel a Group on Google has been formed.

Please view, join, critique, participate & contribute:

< http://groups.google.com/group/ListowelCoKerryIrelandHistoricalSociety >

This idea was proposed to me ( with much thanks) by Cherry Tree in memory of John Sheehy ( ' SandhillRoad '), RIP.

So says my online Irish Times edition this am re yesterday's All-Ireland final against Cork.
    Congratulations The Kingdom!.

:D Having Internet access to old and recent Listowel material would be of great interest to many. I particularly enjoy seeing old photos of the town, school groups, buildings etc. It has struck me though that I have never come across a photo of the old Boys' School. Are there any in existence? What a dismal limestone building it was. What modern Health & Safety Officer wouldn't condemn it outright? And yet I seem to recall that the then staff had a battle royal with the Dept. of Education for funding to replace it. As I remember, it had one stairway leading to the Senior School - no fire escape - and protective wire grill on the windows. Can't you just imagine the devestation and loss of life that might have occurred if a fire had broken out! The bare tinder-dry wooden floor boards and open fires were an accident waiting to happen. I'd still like to see a photo despite all that.
    Hope I haven't given any of you 'Old Boys' nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

Hey guys, first time I've found this thread. Doh!!!

I live in the center of Listowel and I update St.John's website each month with the new programme. Shall I begin posting it here each month - usually before it appears anywhere else in the press ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

I have not logged in since July and it was such a shock when I logged in tonight - My heart felt condolences to the Sheehy Family

Advertisement