Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Hello fellow Listowelians .........havent logged on lately.
    Hope all are well.
    Had a good time at the races and on the hurdy gurgys !( Birds Amusements)
    Joe's hasnt changed much..still the best porter in town !
    Regards to All.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hey guys.

I don't come in here much (the lovely 440Hz and her quiet efficiency means I never have to), but I just had a read of this, and the Ballybunion thread.

Apologies then, if these comments come a little late in the day as it were, but fair play to you all, this is just the kind of community participation fora like these need.

If only all the county fora were as well read and as full of topical input (for those local and not so local!)

Again, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Cheers RoundyMooney, and thanks from me as well to all the people who make the Ballyb and Listowel threads great. Ye really are a great bunch, and ye just get on with enjoy the fourm without any crap at all! Its very refreshing and everything RM just said!

Keep it up guys. Nice one RM for pointing it out. PS: love the avatar! im singing the tune in my head now ;) do dum do dah dum

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Newsletter

..for posting St. Mary's Newsletter weekly.
    It remains a most important conduit of local, current & timely information re Listowel for us ex-pats.

Sorry to see news of Robert Broderick's death this past week.

Condolences to Kevin, Ollie, Victor, etc.

• Advertisement

Deaths

Posted: 29/10/2007 SCULLY (nee Keane) (2 Main Street, Listowel, Co. Kerry) Oct. 28, 2007, Kathleen, loving wife of the late Seán, mother of the late John; deeply regretted by her loving son Pat, daughter Josephine (Henry), brother Willie, sister-in-law Babs, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandchildren, great- grandchildren, nephews, nieces, relatives and a large circle of friends. R.I.P. Removal from O'Carroll's Funeral Home, Listowel today (Monday) at 7.40 o'c. to St. Mary's Church, Listowel. Requiem Mass tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11 o'c. Burial afterwards in St. Michael's Cemetery, Listowel.

Deaths

Posted

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

deepest sympathy to pat,josephine and familys on the death of mrs. scully.as an neighbour in main st. as i was growing up she was always a lady and all the family were class.It was great to stop in the store when you would go back for a chat.she is the last of the main st. gang that i remember growing up. rest in peace.

listowel8 wrote: »
    deepest sympathy to pat,josephine and familys on the death of mrs. scully.as an neighbour in main st. as i was growing up she was always a lady and all the family were class.It was great to stop in the store when you would go back for a chat.she is the last of the main st. gang that i remember growing up. rest in peace.

May you RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gweltas1

listowel8 wrote: »

Sorry to hear of Mrs. Scully's death. My condolences to Josephine, Pat and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

I am sorry to hear of Mrs. Scully's passing. My regrets to Josephine & Pat, and their families.

• Advertisement

Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Sorry to hear of Mrs Scullys passsing.
    Condolonce's to the family.

Missing Kerry businessman located in Paris
    05/11/2007 - 12:34:50

A Co Kerry businessman who went missing in Paris almost two months ago has been located in the French capital.

John Kennelly, from Listowel, disappeared on September 9 while in Paris with his wife and children to attend a trade fair

An extensive search by his family and friends failed to find any trace of the 47-year-old.

However, Kerry TD Jimmy Deenihan, a friend of the Kennelly family, has confirmed that Mr Kennelly has now been located in Paris.

It's absolutely wonderful news that John Kennelly is alive and in safe hands, thanks be to God. I understand that his family are on their way to Paris to be reunited with him. I'm so glad that all our prayers for a happy outcome were not in vain. Hopefully John will soon be back in his home town among his family and friends.
    <http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1105/kennellyj.html&gt;
    See all stories on this topic:
    <http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1105/kennellyj.html&gt;

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I join the many others who have expressed their condolences to the family at the recent passing of Mrs Scully. As a child I loved dropping into her shop on my way home from school. Later I always stopped to see the Scullys when I returned home. LISTOWELMAEVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 XsarahraffertyX

anyone know andrew watters in listowel?? any info on him!! :D xx

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

anyone know andrew watters in listowel?? any info on him!! :D xx

Why do you ask?

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I'm very pleased to hear that John Kennelly has been found safe and sound. My thanks to Jimmy Deenihan and the others for their heroic efforts! LISTOWELMAEVE

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Congratulations to Feale Rangers on their 1-4 to 0-6 win over strong favourites South Kerry in the Kerry Senior Final today. It looks like Paul Galvin (Finuge) will be the Kerry Captain for 2008 as a result of this win.

• Advertisement

Just a note to preempt any of the John Kennelly rumours that may make their way from the real world onto the forum, lets not get involved in the gossip and theories. Facts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

440Hz wrote: »
    Just a note to preempt any of the John Kennelly rumours that may make their way from the real world onto the forum, lets not get involved in the gossip and theories. Facts only please.

Is there any post anywhere on this thread that leads a moderator to think that this warning is necessary?

Is there any post anywhere on this thread that leads a moderator to think that this warning is necessary?

Cherry Tree, I'm glad on behalf of all who have refrained from speculation on this thread that you said this.
    I disagree with the moderator's wish that only FACTS should be posted......surely the facts are a private matter for the family concerned and should remain so

@Gweltas1, that is not at all what I was suggesting. The intention was not for someone to come along and post facts, merely to stick to known facts if/when discussing the matter and not to speculate, in order to be mindful of the family in fact.

@Cherry Tree, no, nothing so far has warranted a "warning". However, this is a popular topic for discussion at the moment "irl" and it is highly likely that this thread would be picked up on by non 'regular posters'. My post was simply a REQUEST to be mindful of idle gossip when posting about the topic, and not a "warning" to the regular poster as you have interpreted it.

440Hz wrote: »
    @Gweltas1, that is not at all what I was suggesting. The intention was not for someone to come along and post facts, merely to stick to known facts if/when discussing the matter and not to speculate, in order to be mindful of the family in fact.

@Cherry Tree, no, nothing so far has warranted a "warning". However, this is a popular topic for discussion at the moment "irl" and it is highly likely that this thread would be picked up on by non 'regular posters'. My post was simply a REQUEST to be mindful of idle gossip when posting about the topic, and not a "warning" to the regular poster as you have interpreted it.

....Listowel was never prone to ' idle gossip '. The ' gossip ' in Listowel was ever the product of hard work & telepathic speculation.

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

....Listowel was never prone to ' idle gossip '. The ' gossip ' in Listowel was ever the product of hard work & telepathic speculation.

That reminds me of a quotation which I think comes from the Book Of Proverbs - "Gossip is so tasty. How we love to swallow it"

That reminds me of a quotation which I think comes from the Book Of Proverbs - "Gossip is so tasty. How we love to swallow it"

The ' gossip ' was ' gospel ' and, some said, divinely inspired.

Relegation shock for Austin Stacks
    y November 19 2007

Once mighty Austin Stacks, who have produced such legends as Mikey Sheehy, John O'Keeffe, Ger O'Keeffe, Ger Power and currently Kieran Donaghy, and won an All-Ireland Club title, were yesterday relegated from the top flight of league football in the Kingdom.

Stacks, who have not been playing well this season, needed to win their two remaining league games to have a chance of avoiding the drop, but they lost by a single point away to Listowel Emmett's yesterday on a 2-5 to 0-10 score-line, so they are now relegated to Division 2.

They looked in a great position with seven minutes left as they led by five, 0-10 to 0-5, and Listowel were down to 14 players after Brendan Guiney got a straight red.

William Kirby and Donaghy were trying everything for the Stacks, but Listowel rallied and firstly Noel Kennelly punched a high centre to the net, before in the final minute, Sean McCarthy collected a ball close to goal and buried it in the Stacks' net and the Tralee side were down and out, in a truly Hitchcock-like finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

It doesn't seem that long ago since the centenary celebrations. I have been looking through the centenary souvenir book. What an interesting read it is. I was particularly interested in the article on Maurice O'Connell, the longest serving teacher in the history of the college, which was written by Ned O'Sullivan. I had been speaking recently to a grandson of Maurice O'Connell's, Monsignor John Shine, who still makes the occasional visit to Listowel. More on this anon.

Advertisement