Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

The quality of the scanned images isn't great but I think you can read enough to know that we dined well that night.
    All those who proposed the toasts have now gone to their eternal reward.
    "The College" was proposed by Most Reverend Kevin McNamara; reply by Dr. Bryan McMahon.
    "The Past Pupils" was proposed by M.C.O'Connell M.A. LL.B; reply by Dr. John B. Keane.
    Ar Dheis De go raibh siad uiligh.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

It doesn't seem that long ago since the centenary celebrations. I have been looking through the centenary souvenir book. What an interesting read it is. I was particularly interested in the article on Maurice O'Connell, the longest serving teacher in the history of the college, which was written by Ned O'Sullivan. I had been speaking recently to a grandson of Maurice O'Connell's, Monsignor John Shine, who still makes the occasional visit to Listowel. More on this anon.

A DVD/tape of the celebrations at St. Michael's College grounds exists. I have it as DVD somewhere ( kindly sent out here to me by Timmy Griffin, via the brother) & I wonder if other copes are floating about?.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

A DVD/tape of the celebrations at St. Michael's College grounds exists. I have it as DVD somewhere ( kindly sent out here to me by Timmy Griffin, via the brother) & I wonder if other copes are floating about?.
    John Lynch, who has recorded so much of Listowel's social history has an excellent dvd of that weekend. In fact he has a goodly collection of invaluable footage of a largely monocultural Listowel that is fast disappearing. His work deserves a wider audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Newsletter

Great to the church embracing 'modern technology and what have you not' in the North region of Kerry.

Can anyone tell me where the following saying came from?

'Spitting in the stew in the street in Listowel'

• Advertisement

Newsletter

I saw in the weekend's parish newsletter that Liam Clancy's concert (Thurs.29th. Nov.) had to be cancelled due to illness (his, I presume). Liam is one of my favourite singers. Just listening to him speak in his soft South Tipperary accent as he introduces a song is alone almost worth the admission money. I particularly like his version of the Irish language song "Ar Eirinn ni n-eosfainn ce hi".
    Consequently I was glad, when I opened page 2 of today's Irish Times, to see him looking so fit. Hopefully his Listowel concert can be re-scheduled before too long.

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Old Thumper

Greetings all. How supprised was I when i stumbled across this thread on Listowel.

My Folks and I left Listowel around 1980 to head over to London. They still return every year but sadly due to work, ive not been able to return in about 3 years now.

I spent many happy years living up in O'Connells Avenue. I bet there is hardly any of the original families living there now. :(

Church newsletter (slightly late thanks to the electricity supply being absent)

Church newsletter (slightly late thanks to the electricity supply being absent)
    It's hardly late since we have it online before the Massgoers. And even if it is late, it's very welcome. Thank you, Lovely Writer, for helping to keep us in touch with what's happening in the parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi Old Thumper
    Welcome to the forum.

Im afraid that two of the old O'Connel's Ave stock have passed away in the last week
    Philomena Phil Mc Donagh nee Canty, 85 O Connells Avenue, Listowel
    Dermot "Derry" Tattan, Island View, Listowel.

I came across a few old Listowel photos that I would like to post on the site.
    if anyone can advise on how to do this I would appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Old Thumper

mikehn wrote: »
    Hi Old Thumper
    Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome mike. The name rings a bell but im sure my folks would know of her.

Paul..

Greetings all. How supprised was I when i stumbled across this thread on Listowel.

My Folks and I left Listowel around 1980 to head over to London. They still return every year but sadly due to work, ive not been able to return in about 3 years now.

I spent many happy years living up in O'Connells Avenue. I bet there is hardly any of the original families living there now. :(

You are most welcome to the forum and we would love to see your old photos and hear your stories.
    I have failed miserably in my attempts to post photos. I used to email them to John (Sandhill Road) and he aways posted them for me. Since his untimely death I have not been able to keep you up to date with more recent photos. Maybe one of our more technicaly gifted contributors will help us out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Just popping in to say that I was in Listowel for the first time last night. Myself and few the girls were visiting a friend who lives outside the town. We had few alcoholic beverages in Moyvane before venturing into town to go boogie! Had great laugh I must say! I shall be back!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Welcome to the forum ( and, soon back on a visit to Listowel again?), Old Thumper.

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Just popping in to say that I was in Listowel for the first time last night. Myself and few the girls were visiting a friend who lives outside the town. We had few alcoholic beverages in Moyvane before venturing into town to go boogie! Had great laugh I must say! I shall be back!:)

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to Listowel. Because you are a "fast mover" I hope you will come back again soon.

Because you are female you may have difficulty with my signature.

Church Newsletter

Just found this thread now. I used to live near Listowel for 10 and a half years. I'll be there for Christmas to see the parents no doubt.

I wish everyone on the Listowel thread peace and happiness at Christmas and all the best for 2008.

Newsletter

• Advertisement

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I would like to wish all my relatives and friends in Listowel, and all others on the Listowel thread, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. /s/ LISTOWELMAEVE::)

Were there any Wrenboys doing the rounds in Listowel and North Kerry today or is that tradition completely gone now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jopacaco

I have read the posts on this board for awhile and decided it was time to add my own note. I really enjoy reading the stories and the church bulletins, and looking at all of the pictures.
    My grandfather, John Faley, was born on Convent Street before he and his family moved to County Limerick early in the 1900's. According to my relatives, we are also related to the former Faley's Hardware store family.
    My husband and I have visited Listowel and it is our very favorite place in the world. Due to the falling dollar, we haven't visited as often as I would like in the last few years but I am determined (and saving) to visit this summer. I can't wait.
    Thanks for keeping me updated on what is happening in Listowel.
    Patty Faley
    Pittsfield, Maine, USA

Church Newsletter

jopacaco wrote: »
    I have read the posts on this board for awhile and decided it was time to add my own note. I really enjoy reading the stories and the church bulletins, and looking at all of the pictures.
    My grandfather, John Faley, was born on Convent Street before he and his family moved to County Limerick early in the 1900's. According to my relatives, we are also related to the former Faley's Hardware store family.
    My husband and I have visited Listowel and it is our very favorite place in the world. Due to the falling dollar, we haven't visited as often as I would like in the last few years but I am determined (and saving) to visit this summer. I can't wait.
    Thanks for keeping me updated on what is happening in Listowel.
    Patty Faley
    Pittsfield, Maine, USA

The Convent Lane(Street) & Market Street area is shown in old maps as Gleann a' Phuca (The Glen of the Puca). 'Puca' is sometimes translated as 'ghost' but 'goblin' is probably more accurate. So I guess it was for this reason that the general area became known as "An Gleann". Remember the Town Leagues of yesteryear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

A Very Happy New Year To All

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

Growing up in Listowel, I loved turnips/rutabagas. My mam would cook and stew them. They were delicious!:p I eat a lot of vegetables so yesterday in the veg department, I noticed a turnip/rutabaga. Here they have both turnips and rutabagas. When I was young there were only rutabagas but people called them turnips. Well, peeling it was fine. I used the potato peeler. Then came the hard part -- cutting it up. First I tried a veg. knife. Then an electric. knife. It cut an inch or so in: then it ran without cutting. I tried several other carving and steak knives but nothing worked. So I fnally returned to the veg. knife and cut it a skelp at a time. It turned out well and I enjoyed it. But it got me thinking of my poor Mam and I wondered how she could possibly have cut up enough turnips to feed six children and two adults. It helps me to appreciate how hard she and other Irish mothers of her generation worked to put dinner on the table. If someone out there does not come to my aid and help me with an easier way to cut a turnip, then I'll never eat another bloody turnip/rutabaga as long as I live, or until I return to Listowel. LISTOWELMAEVE

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

The Convent Lane(Street) & Market Street area is shown in old maps as Gleann a' Phuca (The Glen of the Puca). 'Puca' is sometimes translated as 'ghost' but 'goblin' is probably more accurate. So I guess it was for this reason that the general area became known as "An Gleann". Remember the Town Leagues of yesteryear?
    i remember the town league as if it was yesterday.what great games between the different streets.I remember playing with the ashes around 1960 and the ashes winning and still have the medal but it says 1957 which would have made me 12.We had guys like the mcmahons,toddy enright,junior&bert griffin,frank murray etc.what great times they were just to have the bragging rights for a year.now as i think of the places that made up the "ashes"i doubt if you could field a team.how sad it is.Now as think in the small sguare the only person to live there over the last many years was mrs. scully.r.i.p.everyone else closes there business and lives somewhere else.

Advertisement