Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

listowel8 wrote: »
    i remember the town league as if it was yesterday.what great games between the different streets.I remember playing with the ashes around 1960 and the ashes winning and still have the medal but it says 1957 which would have made me 12.We had guys like the mcmahons,toddy enright,junior&bert griffin,frank murray etc.what great times they were just to have the bragging rights for a year.now as i think of the places that made up the "ashes"i doubt if you could field a team.how sad it is.Now as think in the small sguare the only person to live there over the last many years was mrs. scully.r.i.p.everyone else closes there business and lives somewhere else.

Alas, my footballing talents went largely unrecognised and so I never had the honour of donning a jersey for the Boro' in the Listowel Town League. Much to the amusement of my fellow students, I made a few brief appearances in the School League in my final year in St. Michael's on a wet, soggy pitch more suited to bog snorkeling than football. I'm sure the present football field bears no similarity whatever to the pitch of those days. At any rate, I'm pretty certain that my exploits in that competition are not recorded in the Annals of St. Mick's!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Thanks to " Lovely Writer " for the church news letter.
    It is a nice way to hear what is going on in Listowel.
    Keep it up !

Thanks to " Lovely Writer " for the church news letter.
    It is a nice way to hear what is going on in Listowel.
    Keep it up !

I do not have any difficulty putting up the Church Newsletter thanks to the co-operation of the church authorities.

Judging by the number of people who view it each week there is considerable interest. Maybe some of these people would let us know something about themselves and their Listowel interests.

In the past, when nothing much was happening on this forum, Sandhill Road would put up an old picture or make some comments, in order to keep the forum ticking over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Snowacuse

Hard to believe there are only 20 pubs left. When I was growing up you couldn't count them and they all seemed to do ok.

You asked for a little information, so here goes.

My mother was from Charles Street and my father originally from Greenville, I went to the tech in the mid 70's and returned to the us in 1981. I haven't been home in 3 years. My mother passed away in '04 and my father lives in the states.

I enjoy keeping up with the happenings in listowel so I will continue to log on.

Take care and happy new year to all.

Snowacuse wrote: »
    Hard to believe there are only 20 pubs left. When I was growing up you couldn't count them and they all seemed to do ok.

You asked for a little information, so here goes.

My mother was from Charles Street and my father originally from Greenville, I went to the tech in the mid 70's and returned to the us in 1981. I haven't been home in 3 years. My mother passed away in '04 and my father lives in the states.

I enjoy keeping up with the happenings in listowel so I will continue to log on.

Take care and happy new year to all.

http://www.independent.ie:80/national-news/listowels-grim-tale-of-pub-closures-looks-set-to-continue-1265544.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

I am a native of Listowel. I came from Skehenerin -- 2 miles outside Listowel on the main road to Tarbert. I attended the Convent School and emigrated to the United States as a young adult. I visited Listowel almost every year until my Dad died in 1994 and my Mam in 1999. Now I don't visit much. The last time I was in Listowel was in 2003 on my way to a trade show in Dublin. Over the years I have lived in various places in the US; now I live in South Carolina. My dear friend, Sandhill Road, whom I still miss very much, RIP, introduced me to the Listowel Forum in 2005. I like to check in every week to see what is going on in Listowel and to read the Church bulletin. I enjoy the Forum because it keeps expatriates like me in touch with our Listowel roots. LISTOWELMAEVE

Newsletter

I hope this will bring some people back to Listowel.

http://www.writersweek.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I haven't been to Listowel since August of last year. But, I'm not a native. A good friend of mine lives a few miles in the direction of Duagh, in a townland called Trieneragh. Her daughter had a baby recently so it's a good excuse for me to re-visit. All my weekends are full until the end of February. I'm SO looking forward to the visit.

Also, during the week, I acquired some old photos taken in Listowel, during the "Free-State" era. One in particular was a picture of posters pasted on a wall, a piece of history. I'll post it during the coming week.

reic wrote: »
    Also, during the week, I acquired some old photos taken in Listowel, during the "Free-State" era. One in particular was a picture of posters pasted on a wall, a piece of history. I'll post it during the coming week.

I am looking forward to seeing the photographs. That is just what I had in mind with my suggestion. I am not a native of Listowel but I am sure that era was as controversial in Listowel as elsewhere in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

listowel8 wrote: »
    i remember the town league as if it was yesterday.what great games between the different streets.I remember playing with the ashes around 1960 and the ashes winning and still have the medal but it says 1957 which would have made me 12.We had guys like the mcmahons,toddy enright,junior&bert griffin,frank murray etc.what great times they were just to have the bragging rights for a year.now as i think of the places that made up the "ashes"i doubt if you could field a team.how sad it is.Now as think in the small sguare the only person to live there over the last many years was mrs. scully.r.i.p.everyone else closes there business and lives somewhere else.
    :D] brings back great memories after a game i would take a dip in the river feale in my b/d suite Now the river so polluted fish have hard time surviving in it.

It is great to see a North Kerry poet distinguishing himself

http://manchesterlitlist.blogspot.com:80/2008/01/lit-list-interview-john-mcauliffe.html

posters.jpg

The original print of this is only 1.5 inches wide. I did a high resolution scan but the picture is too big to post and the small writing isn't readable even on that. This is a small segment of the print. I think I have an idea where the picture was taken in Listowel but maybe one of you might be able to locate it better (or an elderly relative). I think the John B. Keane statue is now just to the left of the picture.

1. The Perth Dye Works.

2. What the Republicans have done......

3. Price of the Republic...possible war with England. Price of the Treaty...Certain war between ourselves. Which is the dearer?

4. I am in favour of the treaty but I am still a Republican. Do you believe ..... Wolfe Tone would have taken guns from England...(the rest is obscured by the head).

5. Eminent lawyer says......

6. The army says no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gwenivere

I am a native of Listowel. I came from Skehenerin -- 2 miles outside Listowel on the main road to Tarbert. I attended the Convent School and emigrated to the United States as a young adult. I visited Listowel almost every year until my Dad died in 1994 and my Mam in 1999. Now I don't visit much. The last time I was in Listowel was in 2003 on my way to a trade show in Dublin. Over the years I have lived in various places in the US; now I live in South Carolina. My dear friend, Sandhill Road, whom I still miss very much, RIP, introduced me to the Listowel Forum in 2005. I like to check in every week to see what is going on in Listowel and to read the Church bulletin. I enjoy the Forum because it keeps expatriates like me in touch with our Listowel roots. LISTOWELMAEVE

I'm from Skehenerin also although I have been attending collage in Dublin for the past five years now so wouldn't be very upto date on the current events, my parents fill me in though. There have been quite a few changes since 2005, there have been alot of houses built, many of which have been on the market since they were built. To be honest Kerry but particularly Tralee and Listowel went a bit overboard with the housing boom and now there are too many houses and nobody to buy them. Skehenerin hasn't been taken over too much by excessive house building thankfully. (Although I'm not in a position to judge as my parents are currently building a house just down the road abit.) That road is still more busy then ever and the council are very slow in giving people planning permission. Anyway if there is anything or anyone you would like to ask about please do, I'll try to keep you updated on the shinanigans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

What a puzzler! Reic, you will have to shed more light on this treasure. For a start could you put up the rest of the image. Heads are being scratched bald here, a letter has been sent to The Perth Dye company for info. on their Listowel agent, and all known local experts are now being consulted.
    No one yet remembers that sign and opinion is divided on the location. Help!

What a puzzler! Reic, you will have to shed more light on this treasure. For a start could you put up the rest of the image. Heads are being scratched bald here, a letter has been sent to The Perth Dye company for info. on their Listowel agent, and all known local experts are now being consulted.

I would hazard a guess that the wall in the photograph was at the end of Market Street, across the road from what is now McKenna's.

The posters refer to the election in the summer of 1922. The majority of the people voted to accept the treaty and Dev were reputed to have famously asked " Have the People the Right to Choose Wrong?"

I have not heard anything yet from Perth Dye Works.

Newsletter

• Advertisement

When I first saw the photo I thought it was the junction of Church St. and Bridewell Lane(Colbert St.) The wall veers at at different angle just yards from the corner. On closer inspection - I'm not so sure. Perhaps what I'm seeing is a blemish in the photo.

Most of the rest of the picture doesn't add much (blank wall upwards) and is torn and crinkled. Next week I'll be meeting the guy who owns the picture. He might know exactly where.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/mikehn1/8-28-2007_029.jpg
    Hi Folks
    Hopefully this link might jog some memories.
    Thanks to Reic for pointing me in the right direction, as soon as i get the hang of compressing the photo files i shall post some more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

Most of the rest of the picture doesn't add much (blank wall upwards) and is torn and crinkled. Next week I'll be meeting the guy who owns the picture. He might know exactly where.

The paving on the left hand edge is veering off to the left. Like it would on the corner of main street and the small square BUT

The shadow is equal in length to the man's height. So, the sun is 45deg in the sky. It's summer we think? So this happens at 4 and 10 and the sun is around 15-20 degress shy of East at 10 AM and West at 4PM.

The shadow is running parallel to the postered wall. So the wall runs around 20degs south off EAST or 20degs south of WEST.

Small Square Corner runs NW-SE (45degs off East/West not 20)
    McKenna's runs almost exacly N-S (90degs off East/West not 20)
    Colbert Street is 25deg off N/S (75 degs of East/West no 20)

however Slemon's shoe shop/ TV shop opposite McKenna's runs around 10deg south of East.... allow 10degrees for it not being summer, the website calculator for shadow's is wrong, the OS map being a little low res in Listowel......so maybe its around 10AM in the morning...looking down toward Jet's.

......This coupled with the length of the fur on the terrier's reversing rear would suggest it's downhill from the camera......

Of course this is so rough it could still turn out to be Tralee....

warboy wrote: »
    Small Square Corner runs NW-SE (45degs off East/West not 20)
    McKenna's runs almost exacly N-S (90degs off East/West not 20)
    Colbert Street is 25deg off N/S (75 degs of East/West no 20)

however Slemon's shoe shop/ TV shop opposite McKenna's runs around 10deg south of East.... allow 10degrees for it not being summer, the website calculator for shadow's is wrong, the OS map being a little low res in Listowel......so maybe its around 10AM in the morning...looking down toward Jet's.

But seriously to be complete, it all depends on what time of the year it is:

Apri or Sept: Have to be around midday, and directly south. Maybe McKenna's corner
    May or Sept: 10:30 (Sun in the SE) or 2:30 (SW).... Maybe Small Square or Colbert
    Jun or July: 9:30 (Sun in ESE) or 3:30 (WSW)....Maybe Slemons

I'd guess May, 10:30 -> Small Square...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Warboy, what a load of blather!
    Can you not see that the attire of the man on the corner screams Spring Sunday. He is obviously in his Sunday clothes and dressed for the season, Spring.
    Besides the length of the terrier's hair seems to indicate that he has not quite shed his winter coat. Q.E.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Could it be Scully's corner by any chance ?
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9570/churchstreetue4.jpg

There appears to be a flat roof sloping down to the right. Does the remainder of the image show this clearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

Yes, the photo is O,Connor,s Shop at Scully,s Corner.

• Advertisement

Could it be Scully's corner by any chance ?
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9570/churchstreetue4.jpg

A recent photo of the shop.

Advertisement