Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

This photo was originally posted by our friend SandhillRoad RIP ...he is still with us, still contributing to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

A recent photo of the shop.

If it's Scully's it has to be May around 2:50pm. But I can't see it being Scully if their is a sloping roof to the right. As there has been a house next door since Griffith's.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

warboy wrote: »
    There appears to be a flat roof sloping down to the right. Does the remainder of the image show this clearer?

Interesting posts and pictures. I don't have the original print anymore and the guy who owns it didn't turn up for a meeting yesterday, he's ill. Hopefully I'll meet him next Tuesday. I think (from memory of the original print) that the "sloping roof" is actually a windowsill. And I remember being told that the picture was taken by a guy who was big into photography and was probably taken from a 1st floor window across the road.

I'lllllllll be back...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here!
    I can't believe I've found a thread devoted to Listowel.
    You see, I live in England and my wife's mother was born in Listowel in 1934. Well, a little place just outside Listowel called Tanavalla. Anyone know of this?
    We came over and visited last year and had a great time in Listowel.
    It's a shame about the Presentation School going. My wife's mother went there as a girl, and it was announced in the Kerryman while we were there about the planned closure. What a coincidence.
    Anyway, here are a few pics old and new.

First one shows my wife's mother (Mary Hannon) on the right. Must have been taken around the mid 1940's.

Next one shows my wife and our two teenage kids standing in the same spot! I think our daughter Mary looks a lot like her grandmother.

Next is an old photo of the square with (we think) my wife's great-grandmother in the middle.

Next is the same spot last year.

Hope you like the pics. I'll some more up when I get some time.

Pic 13.jpg

Presentation School.jpg

Listowel.jpg

Listowel2.jpg

Mark142857 wrote: »
    You see, I live in England and my wife's mother was born in Listowel in 1934. Well, a little place just outside Listowel called Tanavalla. Anyone know of this?
    Yeah I know it. The livestock mart moved out there a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

It is very nice to see new people on the thread about Listowel, especially when they can share old photographs with us.

Just to clarify a number of points. The Convent, where the nuns lived, was closed and has recently been sold. The girls primary School has moved to a brand new building on the Ballybunion Road.

Last year, after a lot of talk and consultation by the Department of Education, it was proposed to build a new second level school for all the pupils in Listowel. It did not say when that would happen and so far, as far as I know, nothing has happened .

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Could it be Scully's corner by any chance ?
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9570/churchstreetue4.jpg
    Yes, Scully's corner. As one can see from the photo, the business to the left of the O'Connor building has ' Scully ' over the door.There Sean ( RIP) & Kathleen ( RIP) Scully had a small grocery store. They bought the Corner building when Miss O'Connor died.
    In my earlier youth the ' corner '( at the junction of Lower Church St. & The Small Square/Main St.) was called ' Cotter's Corner ', though, while living at 8 Main St ( The Small Square) from 1943 to 1966 ( it would--and is--down to the right in the photo---though out of view, Morkham's the jeweller's today) I do not remember any Cotter family residing there in my time. ' Cotter's Corner ' seems to be a hold-over from earlier times. Perhaps some current or former resident of the town can enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Yes, Scully's corner. As one can see from the photo, the business to the left of the O'Connor building has ' Scully ' over the door.There Sean ( RIP) & Kathleen ( RIP) Scully had a small grocery store. They bought the Corner building when Miss O'Connor died.
    In my earlier youth the ' corner '( at the junction of Lower Church St. & The Small Square/Main St.) was called ' Cotter's Corner ', though, while living at 8 Main St ( The Small Square) from 1943 to 1966 ( it would--and is--down to the right in the photo---though out of view, Morkham's the jeweller's today) I do not remember any Cotter family residing there in my time. ' Cotter's Corner ' seems to be a hold-over from earlier times. Perhaps some current or former resident of the town can enlighten us.

And there is Morkham's with the security shutters down. Photo - Robert Corridan

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

The rare old photos of the square and convent are really interesting. I really miss Sandhill's steady supply of such memorabilia. Keep them coming, Mark and thank you for sharing them.

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement

Yes, confirmed for me today, Scully's corner.

I've got some other old pictures of Listowel I'd like to post on here. Can anyone tell me how to make them appear on the thread, rather than as an attachment? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I've got some other old pictures of Listowel I'd like to post on here. Can anyone tell me how to make them appear on the thread, rather than as an attachment? :confused:

Mark, post actual pictures this way:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3443022&postcount=97

"The texture of the clay in the Listowel sportsfield used to remind me of a drunken full forward I once knew. It was soft, sticky and seldom dry. When you wanted it most it left you down and it just wasn't suitable for football"

Who else but the late John B. Keane in an article entitled "Mission Impossible" in the souvenir programme/booklet for the official opening of "The Sportsfield" on May 24th., 1981.
    I knew I had the programme in my possession and recent mention of the Town League prompted me to search for it in the mistaken belief that it contained an article on said league. I was sure I had seen such an item at some stage and was disappointed to find it didn't exist.
    Articles by John B., Andy Molyneaux, Padraig Drummond, Mickey O'Sullivan Bryan MacMahon, Louis Murphy, Jacques Guerin and many others went a long way towards compensating. Sadly, many of the contributors have now passed on.

Thanks, Snow Scorpion - I'll give that a try.

I put these some of these pics on here the other days as attachments, but I thought they'd look better like this...

pic13kk0.jpg

presentationschoolvu1.png

In both of these pictures my wife's mother, Mary Hannon, is the girl standing on the right. They were probably taken around the mid-1940's. On the back of the second one it says "Mary, Mary Larkin and Nora Butler".

It's a long-shot, I know, but it would be amazing if anyone recognised any of these girls.

Here are a few of the convent taken last year:

dscf0379nj3.jpg

dscf0375uh3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Mark, you might want to use something like this:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

to resize your bigger pictures. Board mods usually don't like their margins fecked around with.

Lol...you're probably right. I didn't think they'd come out that big!

Yet more pics (a bit smaller this time!), this time of a cottage in Tanavalla, just outside Listowel, probably taken in the early 50's. That's Mary Hannon again, not sure who the others are.

tanavalla1hn5.jpg

We were in Listowel last year and tried to find this cottage but to no avail. We found what we thought was the right road (turn left at the Six Crosses) but it must be long gone by now. However we did find this very similar one which is now in a very sorry state, unfortunately.

tanavalla2sw5.jpg

Another pic, this time of a class of girls at the Convent School. I think Mary Hannon is second row from back, second from the left.

conventva0.jpg

• Advertisement

Mark, you might want to use something like this:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

to resize your bigger pictures. Board mods usually don't like their margins fecked around with.

This is a test to see if I managed the resizing which seemed deceptively easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Oddjobber

aa

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi
    talking in the pub at the weekend and the chat turned to some of the locals past and present that were "blessed" with unusual nicknames, heres a sample that may jog some memories
    Sparrow Griffin
    Denny Sausage
    Speedy Hartnett
    4 Goals Barrett
    The Sheriff
    Tom Tombstone
    Patsy Tack
    Pennies from Heaven
    Bomber Connor
    Paddles Browne
    Tastey Cotter

We are well on the way to naming many of the girls. Some mass goers at early morning mass yesterday recognised themselves and the photo is now in the hands of one of these alumni of Pres. Hopefully, very soon we will have identified most of them. BTW would anyone know how to print the picture with blanks for the girls so that we could write the names more accurately. Alternatively, could Mark or some other kind soul put up the pic again with numbers on the girls. I think Reic knows how to do this. At times like this I really miss Sandhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

"The texture of the clay in the Listowel sportsfield used to remind me of a drunken full forward I once knew. It was soft, sticky and seldom dry. When you wanted it most it left you down and it just wasn't suitable for football"

Who else but the late John B. Keane in an article entitled "Mission Impossible" in the souvenir programme/booklet for the official opening of "The Sportsfield" on May 24th., 1981.
    I knew I had the programme in my possession and recent mention of the Town League prompted me to search for it in the mistaken belief that it contained an article on said league. I was sure I had seen such an item at some stage and was disappointed to find it didn't exist.
    Articles by John B., Andy Molyneaux, Padraig Drummond, Mickey O'Sullivan Bryan MacMahon, Louis Murphy, Jacques Guerin and many others went a long way towards compensating. Sadly, many of the contributors have now passed on.
    SOMEONE ONCE SAID WE ARE A RACE OF PEOPLE FOR WHOM PSYCHOANALYSIS IS OF NO USE WHATSOEVER

Here's the picture of the Convent Girls again, this time with numbers. It would be really great if you could put some names to faces as at the moment we are only sure of one! It's a nice that people recognised themselves in the picture - I hope it brought back some memories for them.

Please let me know how you get on identifying them.

convent4kn7.jpg

SOMEONE ONCE SAID WE ARE A RACE OF PEOPLE FOR WHOM PSYCHOANALYSIS IS OF NO USE WHATSOEVER

You have tried it then, I gather!

Here's the picture of the Convent Girls again, this time with numbers. It would be really great if you could put some names to faces as at the moment we are only sure of one! It's a nice that people recognised themselves in the picture - I hope it brought back some memories for them.

Please let me know how you get on identifying them.

convent4kn7.jpg

Thanks for that, Mark. I'll send you a PM when I have more news on the names.

• Advertisement

I'm only an occasional visitor to Listowel (long overdue now) but No: 5 looks very like the woman I stay with when I visit, her name is Catherine. I'll print this picture and ask her next time I see her (in the next few weeks). Does anyone know the year it was taken?

Advertisement