Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

reic wrote: »
    I'm only an occasional visitor to Listowel (long overdue now) but No: 5 looks very like the woman I stay with when I visit, her name is Catherine. I'll print this picture and ask her next time I see her (in the next few weeks). Does anyone know the year it was taken?

Reic, my good man, do you not realise that by publishing the year the photo was taken reveals the ages of all the good ladies in the snap. This is why I am proceeding with caution. I know the identities of three of the girls, two still live in Listowel and are contacting others so I should have a good few names by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Discretion is obviously not my middle name!

What I meant to say was: "What decade was that picture of lovely lassies taken?"

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

I'd say it was taken in the mid-1940's. I could tell you the year that Mary Hannon (and presumably the others as well) was born - but if anyone wants that perhaps they ought to PM me! Discretion IS my middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

I've having another look through our old photos and came across this one, by the looks of it taken a few years after the other one. Some of the girls definitely appear in both. By the way, the girls in the front row look rather cold - is that snow on the ground in the back ground?

convent5if2.jpg?s=1

• Advertisement

Here's another old photo taken just outside Listowel. It shows Mary Hannon (right) and her best friend Mary Broderick (left).

Does anyone know if Enright's fields still there?

Is Broderick's chemist's still going?

hannonbroderickrc1.jpg?s=1hannonbroderick2uf3.jpg?s=1

Mark142857 wrote: »
    I've having another look through our old photos and came across this one, by the looks of it taken a few years after the other one. Some of the girls definitely appear in both. By the way, the girls in the front row look rather cold - is that snow on the ground in the back ground?

convent5if2.jpg?s=1

In this photo the girls all seem to be wearing a uniform. Could it be that the first photo is of them in the Primary school and the second is the secondary? They also seem to be wearing medals or badges. Could it be the badge you got at confirmation to show that you had taken the pledge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiosTuathail

Lurked for a few days..From Listowel..great thread

Lurked for a few days..From Listowel..great thread

Aways good to hear a new voice on the thread. Tell us more, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiosTuathail

Been in Boston for 15 years but raised in Listowel all my life...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anderson055

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get to Banemore, Listowel ?

Routeplanners on the internet don't seem to be able to tell... does anyone here know?

Thanks very much :-)

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BookShop

Call Fitzpatricks on Church street, he should get you there in no time... Have a bag of chips if you are waiting long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Snowacuse

I'm looking forward to seeing the names of the girls in the photos above. my mother would have been at the convent around that time but she is not in the photo.
    One person looked familiar to me, number 2, I think. Anyway, it will be fun to find out. I hope all is well in Listowel.

Snowacuse wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing the names of the girls in the photos above. my mother would have been at the convent around that time but she is not in the photo.
    One person looked familiar to me, number 2, I think. Anyway, it will be fun to find out. I hope all is well in Listowel.

My dilemma, now that all the girls are named, is this. Would it be right to publish all the names without the permission of the women involved? I see no harm in it but some people are very pernickity about these things. Two groups spring mind;
    • People who like to keep their ages secret
      and
    • People who have only a very vague understanding of how the internet works.
    No. 2 is a well known local face.

John B's statue is back in The Square and all is well.

Church Newsletter

I was in Listowel today and no: 5 is not the person I thought it was, not a "Catherine".

Here's a pop quiz.......

Where in Listowel would you find this?

spiderman.jpg

Perhaps Cherry Tree, you could tell people by private message, if they inquired?

Rather than having it out in the "open" here.

Here's a pop quiz.......

spiderman.jpg

Maybe only in Listowel will find Spiderman and Che Guevara together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Here's a pop quiz.......

spiderman.jpg

The Handball Alley. Haven't passed that way for some time. Does anyone play handball in Listowel nowadays? I spend mant happy hours playing there as a young lad. One day, when in 3rd. Class, Bryan McMahon took us on a nature walk down by the river. He introduced us to the game of handball that same day. Neither Nature Study or P.E. were part of the curriculum at the time and my memory is that the Master was doing something that might be frowned upon by the Cigire if he were to find out. Another day The Master told us to bring hurleys to school, lined us up in correct team formation and we played out first hurling game. For some, I'm sure, it was also the last!
    Two P.E. classes in all my primary school career! And Bryan McMahon was probably risking a reprimand by giving them. The Good Old Days indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

having passed by the handball alley last year it looked very run down and as if handball had not been played in years.the good old days you had the likes of john joe&kevin kenny,bert& junior griffin,tom enright etc.all wonderful handball players.my most vivid memory was not playing handball there but at the tender age of 17 was called to be the goalkeeper for listowel senior hurlers against abbeydorney in a curtain raiser for the grand opening of listowel football pitch.I practiced hard hitting the ball against the alley wall and catching it bare handed.did this for 2 weeks to be ready and sharp for my grand debut against abbeydorney.The big day came ,i felt like i was ollie walsh trained to perfection and ready to stop everything that came my way,until the first high ball came in, not a forward with in 10 yards of me ready to catch it in my bare hand just like i did in the ball alley but at the last split second decided to hit it with the hurley,big mistake missed the ball back of the net.15 mins. and 4 more goals later called to the sideline my services were no longer required.The umpire tried to make me feel good and said i should have stopped one goal but i told him i should have stopped all 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

I have passed by "the Ball Alley" on numerous occasions over the last few years and I haven't seen one handball game going on there. I did, however, see a group of young lads break dancing there one time. They had a stereo player and were using large cardboard boxes opened up and spread out on the ground as mats. The walls of the alley provided great amplification of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

I must say I have not been on here in months busy life here in Canada...no excuse. But anyways I remember back in the 70's seeing people play handball in that same court by the River Bridge, my own brother being one of those individuals. I remember it most for courting the girls after a dance in the Arms Hotel...those were the days. I used to love the echo it produced after a few Pints in Joe's. Then back to the old club house in the Cow's Lawn....one of us had the keys ..I will never say who had the KEY...lol. A Six Pack or 2 went down well. Those were the days...not all St. Mick's Boys were that innocent...ask "Price of a Pint" he was there with me. Then going home at 4 am in the morning in those misty summer days...sneaking in the back door...as if our parents never knew....ya right they knew well what we were up to.

Ok All out there for anyone that did there Leaving Cert in 1978 in St. Micks my email is bob.dylan60@yahoo.ca ...please give me a shout

Here is one other item I want to say....this is in relation to a certain individual in St. Mick's in the 70's. To be more down to earth and be more specific I want to give praise to a certain individual who gave me the confidence and ability to look ahead in life and see what life was in store for me without mention of a name or a clue...this is for you "Cherytree"...your other half was the best the greatest....he helped to put me on a course in life that i would never have imagined if we never had a career guy in St. Micks. But I went on in life to do many engineering courses in various RTC in Ireland and was able to improve myself in many areas to get me were I am now in Canada and I thank him for that. I really admire his ability back then to show a person that they have the ability to be able to reach a certain goal in life...he was a pioneer in St. Michaels in that way.

The bridge leaving Listowel for Tralee:

bridge3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nce shot reic, pity about the crappy grafffiti.:(

It is good to see you back on the thread, Bob Dillon Fan. Thank you for the nice things that you said about Guidance in St. Mick's.

When one gets to " a certain age" one can look back at everything that was good long ago, the weather, handball alley and a sixpack in the tennis hut.

Thankfully very few of us remember the rain, or the hangover.

Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anderson055

Heey everyone,

I'll be on a business trip to Tralee, Listowel, Killarney.. in 2 weeks and I'd like to rent a car, but it turns out I won't be able to do so at the big rental companies cause I'm under 21.

Would any of you know a place in Listowel where I could rent a car ?

Like local renters, garages...

Any people you know that could help me?

Advertisement