Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

listowel8 wrote: »
    price of a pint,do you feel the sarcasm in "up the ashes" reply.I wonder if he is jealous of your success so far.I thought another "ashes" man would be happy but thank god i am not like that.To show you my good nature i will tell you if you google amazon.com &Alibris.com you will be able to find some used copies of listowel and its vicinity .If up the ashes was any good he would put it on his christmas list for you.but in fairness to him the word in certain bars in listowel is you are slow to buy your less fortunate friends a drink.Who would spread these unfounded rumors about you.

Unfortunately the books available at Alibris and Amazon are copies of the new update to the original which only came out a few years ago. This book starts at 1975 and goes up to the end of the 20th century. It is marred by many inaccuracies and will not be much help in answering the quiz questions. The original is unavailable for years and only comes up very occasionally and then at a big price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DoodleAvenue

Dear Voters,

I've been away from this never ending Listowel twine for a few weeks. While preparing my campaign for the upcoming election I believe I may have become a victim of the pork/oxen cloning scandal.

Initially when I saw you publish the answers and saw they were exactly the same as mine. I jumped with joy. But based on your tally you seem to have mislaid my entry again.

Boroman if I read correctly from your previous r-phoist you seem to have had advance knowledge of the pork incident and have had a spam filter installed. Proof again how cute a whore you are. When you explained Miss Cellaneous's entry accidently found its way into one of your assorted pork boxes I assume mine met we a similar faith. Like many a Doodle before me I demand a recount!.

My entry was hand delivered to your inbox as I have an natural distrust of postmen and electronic tallies. Perhaps you were mesmerised by my rhyme on the reverse and have it stuck to your fridge doras? It read:

On boards where Sandhill tread,
    Boroman reinforced his cred,
    Historians were quizzed,
    Sometimes as they whizzed,
    'course the price of a pint went ahead.

I think once you check amongst your spam, ham, sausages and black pudding boxes you will find my quiz entry. Though my secondentry will never match the precision of my first. Effort even without talent should always be rewarded. By my calculations I believe I should be in close second. I'm not greedy and this is a two seater - isn't it.

Don't Forget to Vote for Tom

Beware Boroman
    Remember the bards of old who curried favour with their patrons by writing laudatorty poems about them. When these same patrons fell out of favour with the bards, they then used their skills to satirise them.
    I'd give another rummage in that spam folder, if I were you.

Doodleavenue,
    I loved your entry and I support your call for a recount.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

NEWS-FLASH
    BOROMAN FIGHTS BACK
    I have had enought, this past week I have been ridiculed, back-stabbed(shades of Brutus), spoken about in dimly lit corners by hudded lurkers devoid of any seasonal spirit except of course the usual bottle of the cheap red biddy which of course they and their ilk find solace in.
    We boromen are made of sturdy stuff and never shy from a fight with the exception of one, dear reader,whom it is reported done a bunk from his employers in his case the British Army in 1900 during the Boer War, his crime was(it was'nt really a crime) he fell for the flesh of a young Boerwoman, when subsequently caught and brought before a military court his defence counsel plea on his behalf was that at the time of his abrupt disappearance the Boroman was suffering from mild shell shock and disorientated when picked up by a company of Boers. He was moved to a camp in the Transvaal and treated for some time in a field hospital,it was here that he met Miss Boer and in what we call today ''a one night stand'' he raised the flag for the Boro. Within days the British Forces overcame the Boers and took over the camp and our townsman was arrested and charged with desertion.When asked to take the stand he repeated his counsels plea
    of disorientation but added that when still in that state he heard so many people talking about Boermen AND Borewomen that he was sure that he was home in his beloved Boro again.The Court took a leniant view, took pity on him and he received an honourable discharge. Years afterwards when the Springboks were on tour and when one radio commentator announced that included in the touring party was a red headed Boer, boroman was heard to say ''he's probably my fellow'' and would then shout ''up the boro every time''
    Now for the quiz, and for the cocky, price of a pints assertion that it is untitled, lets call it Boromans Revenge.
    Listowel 8 took me to task on 3 questions (1) U21 kerry Team. final at Ennis (semi-final the same)
    (1)PoMahoney (2)B.Harmon (3)J.Deenihan (4)BoShea (5)GoKeeffe (6)G.Power (7)KoDonoghue (8)J.Long (9)P.Lynch (10)J.Coffey
    (11)MoSullivan (12)PoShea (13)MoShea (14)J.Egan (15)M.Sheehy, Subs used, M.Ferris and N.Brosnan.
    However Tim Kennelly was at midfield in the Munster final played in Skibereen vs Cork so he would have got a medal as a
    member of the panel.So I will allow Listowel8 a mark for his answer of 7, this brings him to 15 in total.
    Untill the Melbourne grand final team is presented ques.no.6 stayes at True.
    Finally, I have made contact with the Minister for Sport in magic carpetland and he told me that listowel8 must be thinking of (1) back the bank(ask any old gleann player) or (2) the Mart field. again no points.

yes Doodle avenue, close second last, but first for humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

boroman wrote: »
    NEWS-FLASH
    BOROMAN FIGHTS BACK
    I have had enought, this past week I have been ridiculed, back-stabbed(shades of Brutus), spoken about in dimly lit corners by hudded lurkers devoid of any seasonal spirit except of course the usual bottle of the cheap red biddy which of course they and their ilk find solace in.
    We boromen are made of sturdy stuff and never shy from a fight with the exception of one, dear reader,whom it is reported done a bunk from his employers in his case the British Army in 1900 during the Boer War, his crime was(it was'nt really a crime) he fell for the flesh of a young Boerwoman, when subsequently caught and brought before a military court his defence counsel plea on his behalf was that at the time of his abrupt disappearance the Boroman was suffering from mild shell shock and disorientated when picked up by a company of Boers. He was moved to a camp in the Transvaal and treated for some time in a field hospital,it was here that he met Miss Boer and in what we call today ''a one night stand'' he raised the flag for the Boro. Within days the British Forces overcame the Boers and took over the camp and our townsman was arrested and charged with desertion.When asked to take the stand he repeated his counsels plea
    of disorientation but added that when still in that state he heard so many people talking about Boermen AND Borewomen that he was sure that he was home in his beloved Boro again.The Court took a leniant view, took pity on him and he received an honourable discharge. Years afterwards when the Springboks were on tour and when one radio commentator announced that included in the touring party was a red headed Boer, boroman was heard to say ''he's probably my fellow'' and would then shout ''up the boro every time''
    Now for the quiz, and for the cocky, price of a pints assertion that it is untitled, lets call it Boromans Revenge.
    Listowel 8 took me to task on 3 questions (1) U21 kerry Team. final at Ennis (semi-final the same)
    (1)PoMahoney (2)B.Harmon (3)J.Deenihan (4)BoShea (5)GoKeeffe (6)G.Power (7)KoDonoghue (8)J.Long (9)P.Lynch (10)J.Coffey
    (11)MoSullivan (12)PoShea (13)MoShea (14)J.Egan (15)M.Sheehy, Subs used, M.Ferris and N.Brosnan.
    However Tim Kennelly was at midfield in the Munster final played in Skibereen vs Cork so he would have got a medal as a
    member of the panel.So I will allow Listowel8 a mark for his answer of 7, this brings him to 15 in total.
    Untill the Melbourne grand final team is presented ques.no.6 stayes at True.
    Finally, I have made contact with the Minister for Sport in magic carpetland and he told me that listowel8 must be thinking of (1) back the bank(ask any old gleann player) or (2) the Mart field. again no points.

Boroman
    I feel your pain.
    The slagging is out of order.
    Reminds me of Tom Drury's epic poem/saying
    Probably not totally correct, but here goes
    " ignorant Hoors leaning over half doors, critizing decent people"

Boromans Revenge is an apt title to round 3.

P.S I'm having to extend my circle of cohorts/ spies so " Price of A Pint" is
    obliged to add "DoodleAvenue " as a scource of knowledge.

Here are some answers to Boromans Revenge

As to Courthouse Row ...This was a huge fight with Cyril Mc Guire ( our beloved and esteemed justice!) and Benny L**ghnane over the tickling of salmon .

P.S Benny got 6 months ..."I fought the law. the law won."..(Courtesy of the Clash.....Copywright !997!)

Bottle Alley was a magical place, reminds me of the Beatles , "Magical Mystery Tour" this was behind our back door...Galvins the distributors of porter products....many a flagon was swapped for a white trout...thse were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter.

The usual quiet time on the very busy thread.

John Sheehy Memorial Quiz.
    Round 4
    www.irishoriginals.ie
    as I will be away on Santa Claus duties next weekend the 4th round of our quiz will not be posted until Saturday 3rd January,this round will be from the irishoriginals website so be forewarned.The answers to round 3 need to be returned to emmetsabu by midnight Friday 2nd.
    Due notice is now given to all that the spam box is out of bounds and anything finding its way in there will be classified as out of date.

Happy Christmas to everyone on d'boards....

http://www.doodletom.com

Tom

I am delighted to see a new face already starting his campaign for the forthcoming local election.
    I would like him to promise to make quizzes easier.
    Secondly I would like him to make a central plank of his campaign the return of the Christmas goose.
    "Christmas is coming and the turkey is getting fat," just does not have the same ring to it.
    I'm giving my no. 1 to Tom anyway.

• Advertisement

I must object to the deterioration On the Listowel Thread. In the beginning we had that "grubby fingers" of Price of a Pint but I allowed that to pass. Now that the intellectual atmosphere encouraged by the quiz has been sullied by a naked electioneering.

I cannot support Tom. Look at what he has done to the beautiful " Maid of Erin”. He encourages people to make their way home drunk by the intermittent light at the top of his pole.

He then goes on to draw a distinction between "publicans and builders" and decent people. With this distinction he has probably alienated a lot of people. He will need the builders to support the collapsing banks.

He will probably be looking for unvouched for expenses next.

Cherrytree has already lent support on the grounds of empty promises. Some people would believe almost anything.

Happy Christmas Tom. You have emerged after fifty years and look at the mess politicians have made of the country. Do you honestly think you can do any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Just thought I'd drop into the Listowel thread.
    So you know, there are NO good facilities in Listowel. Get a fricken swimming pool or something. And a Tesco. there isn't even one of them fgs! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maggiee

i know this is a shot in the dark but i read that you have a copy of Listowel and its vicinity. myself and my family have been looking for a copy of this book for my mother because her father is mentioned in it. thats if it is the original book and not the supplement which we found out she already has. well if you get this and if you are interested in getting rid of it, we will be glad to take it off your hands.

Church Newsletter

John Sheehy Memorial Quiz

Round 3.
    entries to emmetsabu before Dec. 27th.

(1) I FIRST SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY IN 1888 AND SURVIVED 36 YEARS,WHAT WAS I. ?
    (2) WHERE IN LISTOWEL WAS THE LAST WORKING MILL WHEEL. ?
    (3) NAME THE WORDSMITH SON OF A BLACKSMITH. ?
    (4) NAME THE LISTOWEL MAN WHO WAS A CHAMPION WRITER. ?
    (5) NAME LISTOWEL'S LAST TOWN CRIER. ?
    (6) WHAT WERE THE GRAVEL CRUSHERS. ?
    (7) WHERE DID THE GARDAI RELOCATE TO AFTER THE BURNING OF THE BARRACKS. ?
    (8) WE KNOW COURTHOUSE ROAD BUT WHERE WAS COURTHOUSE ROW. ?
    (9) I WAS ONE OF THE GREAT MOVIE STARS, MY ROOTS WERE IN THE GLEANN, WHO WAS I. ?
    (10)MORTELL'S, WHAT DID THEY SELL. ?
    (11)I RACED FROM LONDON TO CAIRO,WAS FROM THE TOWN, WHO WAS I. ?
    (12)WHERE WAS BOTTLE ALLEY. ?
    (13)WHAT CANON LIVED IN GURTINARD HOUSE. ?
    (14)I WAS THE CEMENT GOD,WHAT WAS MY REAL NAME.?
    (15)NAME WHO CRIED OUT, AND FINISH THE LINE 'KEEP AWAY FROM FOUNTAIN .. ............' ?
    (16)WHAT BOROMAN WROTE THE FIRST OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE G.A.A. ?
    (17)WHAT LISTOWEL MAN WROTE 'THE MAID OF SWEET COOLARD' ?
    (18)WHAT ACTRESS MAURA WAS MARRIED TO WHAT NED. ?
    (19)NAME A LISTOWEL SOLICTORS DAUGHTER WHO HAS PUBLISHED HER MEMORIES. ?
    (20)WHAT HALL HOSTED THE PREMIER OF SIVE AND WHAT WAS THE YEAR. ?
    NOLLAIG SHONASACH AGUS ATHBHLIAIN SHUAIMHNEACH AS AN BORO.
    WISHING ALL LISTOWEL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE A VERY HAPPY AND HOLY CHRISTMAS
    AND A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS 2009 FROM ALL IN THE BORO.

Boromans Revenge was an apt title..this was a difficult round.

Thank you all for your support - change is on the way. I've news of quiz research help (census 1911) and a new book on local history to be published ("Listowel and its Vincenty") all at http://www.doodletom.com/

Tom is planning a route through the town tomorrow night perhaps passing a pint or two - see you there.

Price of a Pint
    You have just shortened my life by 10 years. But I checked and I have until Jan 3 to post my answers to round 3. Phew!!
    I think I'll give up on Courthouse Row and submit them today. I don't think Listowel and its Vincenty will help anyway.
    Doodleavenue, I missed Tom's tour last night. I hope he had a successful route and that he had plenty of walking around money to buy pints for the locals.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your answers to round 3. Time feels very long until Boroman gets back from the North Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Price of a Pint has been on my case for months to start posting on here again.....so give me some time and I will be back on in the New Year. Up Poundlane

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone

My Money is on "Price Of A Pint" to be the glorious winner in this round of local knowledge....He is not a Boro Man but he might rise from the ASHES like a Phoneix to claim the Laurels and be Victorious in his endeavour. But he better beware in the New Year there is going to be a Boro Man on board who will try and claim victory. There is still Giants of wisdom among the Poundlaners... To Put it Simply We are BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭pfishfood

Strange question i know but is there a comic book shop in Listowel?
    yes i do know its a strange question. Its just there one listed in the following link: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54563

Which of course got me curoius

• Advertisement

Just back for a quick visit and a peep at whats happening on the forum I am now posing a question
    is doodle the real mccoy or is he an imposter?
    I have seen an unpublished minute book of the doodle executive and therein from a meeting of Nov. 10th 1950
    under correspondence, item 4 was read a letter from the their beloved leader Thomas Doodle esquire in which he described
    the whitewashing of names (commen at the time) on roads and walls as barbaric and he suggested that the only form of postering he would allow should be on telegraph poles and trees.
    So my question now is why the uturn and why is it so necessary at this time to cover our timeless maid, it is worth recalling that soon after the good lady took her adventageous viewing position on Potters front wall a certain well known holy mary(gossip) went running down to our local canon shouting that the figure was giving great scandal and she with her two breasts exposed, Canon Davis(a fine sober man) retorted ''madame in the event of a famine the good maid would breastfeed the town ''
    My second question, is doodle getting financial support from a Russian Oligarch in return for possible bogland acquisition in the mineral rich reaches of the Stacks Mountains (the map produced on doodles website could be proof of this),
    This has the making of a big news story, so I am asking Doodle to come clean, clarify matters, and no more graffiti.
    All that I can say to Rhapsody is having a swimming pool and a Tesco is not the be all and end all of everything, we might not have all the facilities she requires but we are doing all right, thank you.

Answers round 3 to emmetsabu by Friday night 2nd January.
    Happy New Year to everyone from our enclave in the Boro.

Like the Cinderella story the bewitching deadline hour for the quiz is 12 o clock midnight tonight. Get busy get the answers in.

JOHN SHEEHY MEMORIAL QUIZ.
    ANSWERS 3RD ROUND.
    (I) LARTIGUE RAILWAY.
    (2) LATCHFORDS MILL IN GREENVILLE.
    (3) WRITER AND ACADEMIC, SHEAMUS WILMOT, SON OF THE BLACKSMITH NED WILMOT.
    (4) SEAN ASHE,CONVENT STREET, WRITER AND CORRESPONDENT TO THE KERRY CHAMPION NEWSPAPER DURING 1940/50S
    (5) MATTIE JAMES WAS THE LAST BELLMAN IN THE TOWN.
    (6) NAME GIVEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO PLAYED FOOTBALL AND HURLING IN THE LISTOWEL MARKET YARD.
    (7) TAY LANE.
    (8) STONE COTTAGES ON THE TOP LEFT HAND SIDE OF CHARLES STREET BUILT BY LORD LISTOWEL.
    (9) SILENT MOVIE ACTRESS, MARY PICKFORD, RELATED TO PICKFORD AND HENNESSY FAMILIES OF THE GLEANN.
    (10)POULTRY PRODUCTS.
    (11)LILY DILLON,DAUGHTER OF DOCTOR DILLON,THE SQUARE, SHE WAS WINNER OF LONDON/CAIRO AIR RACE.
    (12)CONVENT STREET.(BETWEEN TOM PIERCES AND BUNYANS).
    (13)CANON ADDERLEY, CHURCH OF IRELAND.
    (14)PADDY WHELAN,CHURCH STREET.
    (15)PADDY EVANS, KEEP AWAY FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF BALLYGOLOGUE.
    (16)THOMAS F. O SULLIVAN, CHARLES STREET.
    (17)D.C. HENNESSY, WILLIAM STREET (D.APRIL 1884) WROTE THIS SONG ON 2/2/69.
    (18)MAURA O SULLIVAN, PATRICK STREET, WHO WAS MARRIED TO EAMON KELLY, ACTOR AND SEANCHAI.
    (19)BERTHA BEATTY(NEE CREAGH)BORN NOV.1878 DAUGHTER OF FRANK CREAGH, SOLICITOR,1ST EDITION 1939,2ND EDITION 2007.
    (20)WALSH'S BALLROOM, LISTOWEL, 2/2/1959.

Leader Board After 3rd Round.

Joint leaders- price of a pint 47
    cherry tree 47
    lovely writer 46
    MissCELLANNEOUS 31
    listowel 8 23

John Sheehy Memorial quiz Round 4.

All questions out of www.irishoriginals.ie
    (1) Moore Street, a sad connection.
    (2) Only second in line but still did my share.
    (3) Is the Clock House in one, two or three. ?
    (4) Where one would be best dressed. ?
    (5) Reidys shop, where was it. ?
    (6) Ding DONG, who rung the bell. ?
    (7) Building with Washington and Listowel connections.
    (8) When did the good woman pay for her papers. ?
    (9) What did James Daly run. ?

(10) Sometimes likened to Penguines.
    (11) Who looked after Cork. ?
    (12) World boxing champ, could there be a connection. ?
    (13) John Synan included, who remained last. ?
    (14) Unfinished, but now been redone.
    (15) Find me a schoolbag. ?
    (16) Often said I was the only one in Ballybunion.
    (17) Where was Foleys Hotel. ?
    (18) A Gunman, where. ?
    (19) What were joined together in 1882. ?
    (20) Upside down in Arthurs ad but here rightside up.
    Answers to emmetsabu by Friday 16th January (midnight)

Thank you Boroman for a very intriguing round 3. A very big thank you to all my advisers without whose help I would not be battling it out with Price of a Pint as we head into the penultimate round.
    May the best man win!

John Sheehy Memorial quiz Round 4.

All questions out of www.irishoriginals.ie
    (1) Moore Street, a sad connection.
    (2) Only second in line but still did my share.
    (3) Is the Clock House in one, two or three. ?
    (4) Where one would be best dressed. ?
    (5) Reidys shop, where was it. ?
    (6) Ding DONG, who rung the bell. ?
    (7) Building with Washington and Listowel connections.
    (8) When did the good woman pay for her papers. ?
    (9) What did James Daly run. ?

(10) Sometimes likened to Penguines.
    (11) Who looked after Cork. ?
    (12) World boxing champ, could there be a connection. ?
    (13) John Synan included, who remained last. ?
    (14) Unfinished, but now been redone.
    (15) Find me a schoolbag. ?
    (16) Often said I was the only one in Ballybunion.
    (17) Where was Foleys Hotel. ?
    (18) A Gunman, where. ?
    (19) What were joined together in 1882. ?
    (20) Upside down in Arthurs ad but here rightside up.
    Answers to emmetsabu by Friday 16th January (midnight)

Holy mother of God!
    How obscure can you get.
    The London Times crossword is nothing on you!
    Anyway.
    Congrats to Cherry Tree for tying the lead, and an honorable mention to Lovely writer, a close second.

Do all the questions refer to Listowel in some way?

in reply to cherry trees query, this round is made up of questions from the whole website.
    The 120,000 mark has now been passed, bring out the bubbley.

• Advertisement

All I can say is ....It would take a Poundlaner to ask questions like this.....and congrats to the Leaders in this.....MASTERMIND would not have a touch on this.

Advertisement