Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

And so say all of us listowel8, we only really come from a small town but we punch above our weight.

Sive Anniversary,
    A special performance of Sive highlights took place in John B's on last Monday night February 2nd to mark the 50th anniversary of the play's premiere which took place on the 2nd February 1959. Presented by the Lartigue company before a capacity attendence a great night was had by all.
    The full length play will be presented by the Listowel Players at St.John's during mid-February, this should not be missed,Kerry Radio are putting on a special show at this time when the four remaining actors will recount their memories of that occasion 50 years ago, the four are, Sive > Margaret Dillon, Mena Glavin > Nora Relihan, Liam Scuab > Brian Brennan and Carthalawn > JOHN Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Congrats on your Quiz Victory...I knew someday that all those Pints we drank in Joe's together in the 70's would have a positive affect on your Brain Power. You the Man.

Congrats on your Quiz Victory...I knew someday that all those Pints we drank in Joe's together in the 70's would have a positive affect on your Brain Power. You the Man.

And You Told Me You Were Studying All the Time.

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Greeting fellow Board's members. Have not posted in awhile.
    Been busy of late at work ( thank god )
    Nothing to report from this side of the Atlantic.
    Stay well.

Pintman.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Is there life after the Quiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

How about we ask our candidates for their "promises"
    Doodleavenue should run, at least you know what you get !
    But is all seriousness, the Listowel Urban Council is supposed to make up a cross section of the community. Anyone could put their name forward, no matter what party affilation. Now it seems that the candidates are screened and vetted prior to getting the party nod.
    This takes all the fun out of the proccess, not to mind the independence of the candidates.
    Do they all have to toe the usual BS party line ?

Thoughts ?

Back again and I must say that the pintman has started a thread that is close to my heart, ie, the local elections, F.G. have nominated 5 candidates already, S.F. will have 2 in the field with F.F. and Lab. still to declare.
    It has also been brought to my attention and is strongly rumoured that the field will contain an Independent candidate with a strong feeling and love of the towns history, this person could also be described as ''a man of letters'', news of any new developments and any breaking news will be brought to the immediate attention of the readers of the listowel forum.

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vancouver1

MissT wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just saw the 'listowel thread' am actually looking for info on a guy from listowel, screwed a friend of mine over recently, wont get into details yet, but its a pretty interesting story!. Dont want to give his full details out. HIs name is Eddie, he is a physio in Cork- if you have any info let me know!
    I know that this post is so old. Im pretty sure i know the guy your on about though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Hi all,
    I'm back after my sojourn in the real capital of Ireland, the south anyway.
    I'm happy to see a new visitor. Welcome, Vancouver 1. Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie and tell us a bit about your interests. Any old photographs or other memorabilia?
    Boroman, that's interesting news about a new entrant to the race for a seat on the local council. We could do with some fresh blood and a man of letters with an interest in local history sounds intriguing. We could have done with him a while back when the quiz was in full flight.
    I saw Sive last night. Well done to all on an excellent production. It is a powerful play and last night's cast did it justice.
    On my return I noticed that the window on McKenna's corner is under repair. Is there a story?

Good to be back.

Cherry tree, I hope you are refreshed after your trip to the deep south, any sign of a breakthrough in the McCarthy vs the untouchables case or is it going keep on bowling along, the latest election news is bound to stir and shake up a rather mundane pot,
    watch this space,
    the play was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

There is dire need of a law and order candidate in our up coming local elections.The residents of William,Lr.Charles Colbert and even that part of Church St.that over looks the rear of William St.are tormented from the noise and anti social behavior that goes on every weekend.The noise last weekend (into the small hours ) was horrendous.Cherry Tree,you seem to be a very practical person with a genuine love of the place,would you consider going forward.It's gone beyond a joke at this stage .The Gardai and Council have been informed time and time again and to no avail.You see none of them are living downtown so they're not bothered.The place is being given over to the "thug".:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Has anyone seen "Sive" in Listowel?
    Its fantastic! So great!
    No wonder its been booked out each night!!
    Highly recomended to all!

Sive is great theatre,I thoroughly agree with Padocon.John B,you will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

As far as I know there is an extra show on this Fri but booked out.
    Also on Tues and Friday of writers week. (As far as I know, not sure)

There is dire need of a law and order candidate in our up coming local elections.The residents of William,Lr.Charles Colbert and even that part of Church St.that over looks the rear of William St.are tormented from the noise and anti social behavior that goes on every weekend.The noise last weekend (into the small hours ) was horrendous.Cherry Tree,you seem to be a very practical person with a genuine love of the place,would you consider going forward.It's gone beyond a joke at this stage .The Gardai and Council have been informed time and time again and to no avail.You see none of them are living downtown so they're not bothered.The place is being given over to the "thug".:confused:

Thank you for that vote of confidence in me but I'm afraid I'm not the person for that job at all. I sympathise with your torment at the hands of vandals and thugs. Town has gone to the dogs at weekends. Law and order is however best left to The Gardai.

AAh! too bad Cherry Tree!!:(,we really do need a sensible person who has the welfare of the town residents at heart, which is what the Town Council is SUPPOSED to do.Anti social behavior is indeed the remit of the Gardai and that's the reason they've been called on so often .Ear splitting decibels and other noise however is the Council's baby ,be it the Town or Kerry CO CO. We live in HOPE ,Cherry Tree.;)

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

anybody know who is on the panel for the cheltenham preview tonight in the listowel arms?

Everything is being done by our local representatives to get employment for the people of Listowel.

http://www.mercurynews.com:80/losgatos/ci_11821920

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Just wondering how is the down turn in the Irish Economy affecting Listowel at the moment...are things really bad in the community with regards to Jobs and the local economy in general. I know for a fact when the economy goes through a dramatic negative change the criminal element seems to raise its ugly head in any community. Is this happening in Listowel. Just curious.

Church Newsletter

Just wondering how is the down turn in the Irish Economy affecting Listowel at the moment...are things really bad in the community with regards to Jobs and the local economy in general. I know for a fact when the economy goes through a dramatic negative change the criminal element seems to raise its ugly head in any community. Is this happening in Listowel. Just curious.

I don't know if one would say that things are really bad, Dylan Fan, but things are certainly fairly bad. Town is very quiet. Several businesses have closed their doors.
    The roads through the town would put you mind of Beirut.
    I suppose the annual jolly for our councillors for St. Patick's day is not on this year either.
    Yes, crime is on the increase. There have been a few thefts from shops recently.
    Roll on the summer and the town council elections when we will get a chance to tell our politicians what we think of how they are handling the crisis.

A picture says more than a thousand words.
    These photos were taken in Listowel this a.m.

It is very scary and sad to see businesses closing down.But we must be positive and make a definite effort to support the shops etc in town.We're not in any way blaming the Gardai for the breakdown in law and order but they will have to make themselves more visible around the streets at night.Even though they are very quick to answer when called,they always HAVE to be CALLED as they never seem to know what's happening anywhere other than William St. and life is unbearable for residents there at weekends.As Cherry tree said the roads through the town are like Beruit,soon we'll need a step ladder to be able to cross Church St, the road seems to be getting higher and higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jennifer Maeve

That's my beloved Father on the far left, Teddy Moloney. (aka Timothy Andrew Moloney from Bolton's Cross, Skehenerin)

• Advertisement

Welcome Jennifer,
    I think that your reply may have got separated from the photograph that you were referring to. If you put it up again with the photo, people will know your dad.

Advertisement