Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Here's the text from the back :

I am Vincent Carmody and I am standing as an independent candidate in the June election for Listowel Town Council.

Who am I?
    I was born and bred in Listowel and I have lived in the town all my life.
    I worked as a postman in the Listowel area for 37 years until my retirement 2 years ago.
    I am an amateur local historian with a passionate interest in local social history.
    I am a keen collector of materials relevant to Listowel’s history, its people and heritage.
    I give talks to local schools on a voluntary basis.
    I love to walk or cycle the streets of town and to meet and talk with local people.
    I have a long history of involvement with Listowel Emmets G.A.A. club, including many years as secretary.

Why should you vote for me?
    If elected, I will work for the betterment of Listowel. I will aim to build on the improvements to our town which have been effected over the years by successive councils. I have several proposals to put forward in the areas of:
    ~ Infrastructure ~ Traffic Management ~ Tourism ~ Environment ~ Business ~ Law & Order ~

Vincent Carmody’s Proposals

• The roads in our town have deteriorated to an unacceptable condition. Urgent good quality road surfacing is needed as a priority. The town council should put pressure on the NRA and Kerry County Council, who are responsible for most of the town’s roads, to act immediately on this.

• Since the construction of the proposed bypass to solve the town’s traffic problems seems to now be a long way off, I propose that a roundabout be built at the Ballygrennan side of the big bridge. This would allow traffic to flow freely. A slip road from the Duagh side would allow traffic bound for Tralee to pass without entering the roundabout.

• Listowel businesses need every assistance at this time. I will favour greater co-operation between the business community and the Town Council. We will have to work together to prevent further business closures. Free parking on Saturdays should be reconsidered.

• I will propose that the incoming Town Council investigate the setting up of a public CCTV system similar to the one in Killorglin.

• The River Feale is a valuable amenity. I will propose the extension of the present river walk from the rear of The Listowel Arms to Convent Cross and the landscaping of the cliff face.

• I will propose that the council note and record all public rights of way in the urban area and insist that future developments do not infringe or obstruct these rights of way.

• I will campaign for improved emphasis on Listowel as a heritage town. I think that the council should co-ordinate a volunteer group to give guided tours of the town during the tourist season. This was very popular in the past with local people and visitors alike. I will be the first to offer my services, if this is done.

• I will call for the town council to intervene with the owners of the Mart property and other neglected sites to clean up their property and prevent them from becoming environmental blackspots.

• I will propose that all applications for planning permission, the minutes of council meetings and the annual statement of accounts be published on the council’s website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

I would glady vote for Mr. Carmody. Sadly, I do not live in Listowel.
    Boroman knows me as the woman from America searching for her FERRIS roots.
    I have found out that Nora Collins who married Pat Collins was my aunt by being my father's sister.
    Their childrens names were Kathleen and Ena Collins.
    Would anybody have any pictures of Kathleen or Ena?
    I would greatly appreciate any photos since I have none of the family from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

CAISC SHONA DAOIBH

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I have done some searching and found someone who has a graduation photograph of the late Ena Collins of Church St. I will get it up on boards, she was a real movie star, a stunner.
    I agree with ferris and enright that manifesto is full of commen sense, Vincent Carmody is definitely worth a number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

boroman wrote: »
    I agree with ferris and enright that manifesto is full of commen sense, Vincent Carmody is definitely worth a number 1.
    I hear from my sources that the young Moloney fella going to do well;)

I was asked to put up this photograph by Boroman

EnaCollinsBComm-1.jpg

Oh my God! Oh my God! I finally have a picture of my father's family! This picture of Ena Collins is beautiful! She is beautiful! She looks like my older sister Joan. She has my father's eyes and those cheek bones like the rest of us! Finally a picture of a cousin back in Ireland. Would you have any pictures of her sister Kathleen or her mother Nora (Honora Ferris) Collins? Would anybody have any pictures of her Uncle Patrick Ferris of Listowel (Gortacrossane) the Irish Reserve Guard man? Thank you so much Boroman and Lovely Writer! I can't thank you enough! I am slowly putting the puzzle together. Thank you all!

Can you tell me how to insert a picture into my message?

The picture from SANDHILLROAD on August 31, 2006 showing a Mrs. Collins. Would this be Mrs. Collins that was married to Pat Collins from the Bacon store and mother of Ena Collins!

• Advertisement

The picture of Ena Collins was one which was placed on her coffin when she had been brought back from London to be buried in Listowel. She is buried in the new cemetery on the Ballybunion Road, at the time the family burial plot could not be located in the old cemetery so she was buried in a new grave. Barry o Mahoney whose mother was a good friend of Enas supplied the photograph.

I forgot to mention that the Mrs Collins( lady in the swimsuit) spoken by Ferris& Enright was no relation of the Bacon Shop Collins ,this lady the late Babe Joe(Wilmot) Collins was one of Listowels great characters.

ListowelfromAir2.jpg

Look at all the houses the candidates will have to canvas. This is only part of the Listowel Urban Area.

I take it that boroman is supporting Vincent Carmedy even before the election manifestoes of the other candidates are published.

boroman wrote: »
    The picture of Ena Collins was one which was placed on her coffin when she had been brought back from London to be buried in Listowel. She is buried in the new cemetery on the Ballybunion Road, at the time the family burial plot could not be located in the old cemetery so she was buried in a new grave. Barry o Mahoney whose mother was a good friend of Enas supplied the photograph.

I remember Cousin Sean saying that Ena went to England and died. Would anybody know what year, how old and from what? In order for me to get copies of certificates I need to know the year. I am assuming that Ena died in London. Is that correct?
    Was Ena's parents still alive when she was brought back?
    Any information on Kathleen?
    Did she go to Scotland?
    Was she married in Listowel?
    What is the name of the old Cemetery?
    What is the name of the new cemetery?
    How many cemeteries are there in Listowel?
    I need to find out where Uncle Patrick Ferris was buried. The Patrick T. Ferris that is listed on the gravesite from the Gale cemetery on Derre West was 21 years old when he died on February 18, 1945 so that is not my Uncle Patrick. As you know..Cousin Sean sent a death certificate which is supposed to be Uncle Patrick. On the death certificate it lists him as 50 years old but he should have been 57 years old. As you know Boroman he died in the County Home in Killarney.
    Would you know where Aunt Nora Collins was buried? In the old cemetery?
    I will be coming back to Ireland as soon as possible when I have all the information I need. I want to know where everybody is buried. I want to visit their graves and say a prayer for them and my father.
    Please thank Bill O Mahoney for me! Tell him I appreciate his input on helping me put my father's family together. Thank you everybody!

Oh darn it. It's not my Aunt Nora (Ferris) Collins. I thought another picture from the Ferris family was found. That is okay. I will continue my search.

There are a number of steps to be taken in order to put up the photographs.

First you must register with photobucket.com.

Save your photograph on your desktop.

Start photobucket and upload your photograph.

Highlight and save the IMG link on your clipboard.

Opened the Listowel thread.

Click on "reply to thread"

Put in your title and then iany message in the usual way.

Then paste this saved IMG link. The picture will not appear yet.

When you preview the post you will be able to see the photograph.

This is an example

Jimsslides048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

below (I hope!) is a photograph of the cleared site on the Bridge Rd. This will house a filling station and shop.

clearedsiteBridgeRd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Banemore

FYI.. Be careful of site www(dot)listowel365(dot)com it downloads a malicious trojan to your computer. This has happened to me twice from the same site and I can see it occuring in the activX request and the information bar in Internet Explorer. My machine is fully up to date with the latest norton AV.

The Trojan name is; Trojan.Neprodoor!inf and is difficult to remove

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Thanks for the tip, Banemore.

Banemore wrote: »
    FYI.. Be careful of site www(dot)listowel365(dot)com it downloads a malicious trojan to your computer. This has happened to me twice from the same site and I can see it occuring in the activX request and the information bar in Internet Explorer. My machine is fully up to date with the latest norton AV.

The Trojan name is; Trojan.Neprodoor!inf and is difficult to remove

Have you informed the webmaster?
    Can my computer be infected by just viewing the site?
    I check in with that site regularly to look at photographs.
    I'm sure the webmaster will take whatever action is necessary to address this issue a.s.a.p.

• Advertisement

Have you informed the webmaster?
    Can my computer be infected by just viewing the site?
    I check in with that site regularly to look at photographs.
    I'm sure the webmaster will take whatever action is necessary to address this issue a.s.a.p.

Yes, I regret to say your computer can be infected by just looking at it as was my experience. I suspect the site may have been hacked or exploited. I do not know the webmaster which is why I posted alert here, I am sure they can reinstall from site backups and patch the vulnerability. I can definately say though it was that site because I visited it first in the morning and my antivirus (AV) went wild as the site was loading in the browser, I let the AV do its work and restarted. I workied with the computer all day long with no issues until I decided to visit the site again to be sure. The same thing happened again only I had difficulty in fully cleaning system this time. I do not think I want to be absolutely sure so I will not try and visit site a third time.

There is another thread Local Elections in Kerry 2009 .

Most of the contributions seem to deal with Killarney and the county council election.

It is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Discovered: March 2, 2009
    Updated: March 2, 2009 8:02:14 PM
    Type: Trojan.Neprodoor!inf
    Infection Length: 213, 120 bytes
    Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Once the infected driver file executes, it will inject a malicious thread into services.exe process.

Trojan.Neprodoor!inf is a generic detection method to identify ndis.sys files got infected with a trojan that has the capacity to execute a backdoor on infected computer.

The injected malicious thread then creates the following mutex so only one instance of the back door is running:
    CTR.[16 HEXADECIMAL DIGITS]

Then the infected driver file may modify the following registry entries:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\AGProtect\"Cfg" = "[BINARY DATA]"
    * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AGProtect\"Cfg" = "[BINARY DATA]"

Next, it will attempt to establish a TCP connection with one of the following hosts using port 80:

It uses an encrypted custom protocol to communicate with the remot servers to perform any of the following actions:

* Provide confidential information about the compromised computer.
    * Download and execute binary files sent by the remote attacker
    * May act as a TCP proxy

The infected driver file includes the functionality to protect the infected ndis.sys from being overwritten. It also presents a non-infected image of ndis.sys to applications that attempt to read the infected file.

Thanks, Bob Dylan Fan, I hope my Norton AV showed it the door, it says it has anyway. Just noticed Gabriel Byrne is coming to Listowel for Writers Week http://twitter.com/listowel also on Radio Kerry...

Church newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

There is another thread Local Elections in Kerry 2009 .

Most of the contributions seem to deal with Killarney and the county council election.

It is interesting.
    check this out
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Jimmy-Moloney/50644328365?ref=nf

scaramanga wrote: »

On your advice, Scaramanga, I checked out Jimmy Moloney's facebook site. I felt a bit like a voyeur, reading someone's private mail. This kind of social networking is definitely only for the young.
    How do I deregister from Facebook before anyone finds me lurking there?

Hi Cherrytree Facebook is great I'm on there for a long while now and I find it a great way of keeping in contact with my kids and friends and family. Some people think its a bad thing...but personally I initially thought that..but now I find since you know how to use it in a way that it brings you in contact with people its great.

I have attached a photo of my Great Gran Father and his wife a Walsh...and my Gran Uncle Edmund..... as far as I know my Great Gran Father was the one who built alot of houses to transform Poundlane to Patricks Street ( Upper William St) as it is today. I know alot of people might not know this...Its a bit of town history that might have been forgotten...but as far as I know thats how it was...If anyone knows any different please let me know.

• Advertisement

Lovely writer...I don't know if you received my message but I want to thank you for the picture of my 1st cousin Ena Collins. She looks a lot like my father and my older sister Joan. I can't believe that she died in 2001. If only I had made it to Ireland before 2007 I could have had a lot of questions answered. I was wondering if you knew anything about Ena from your mother. I understand she was friends with Ena. I know Ena died in London but how did she get back? Did she have family in London that sent her back to Listowel? Was her sister Kathleen still alive in 2001? Did you mother bring her back to Listowel? Do you know what she died from? Was she in a hospital? I would appreciate any more information that you may have via your mother. Just trying to put the pieces together. Ferris+Enright
    I was asked to put up this photograph by Boroman

EnaCollinsBComm-1.jpg

Advertisement