Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Well done to all my Kerry neighbours and friends.
    As for the Rebels; Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach.

The book, Listowel Through a Lens, will be launched in St. Johns on Oct 24th.
    For our overseas friends it is available through the website http://www.lovelylistowel.ie or http://www.iol.ie/~coganj/
    Because postage costs are so high I would advise getting a friend or relative to buy directly from the author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

Dear Church Street,

Would you by any chance remember the Collins Family from the Bacon Store on Church Street. Would you remember Ena Collins her sister Kathleen or their mother Nora Collins (Ferris)?

I have in my ownership a rather old holy picture which came form 107 Church Street, Listowel a number of years back. Micheal Keane, a former school master was the previous owner of 107 Church street and prior to Michael, his Aunts were. The holy picture has the insription at the back which says "To Aunt Lil & Tessie, From Sr M Raphael". I was wondering would somebody out there from the Keane family, be interested in this piece of the family memorabilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

Boroman, Have you heard from Pauloc? I was sent two pictures of the family on my father's side. Pauloc was supposed to send more pictures but seems the Web was down. Could you relay my message to Pauloc?

Also, I have sent emails to St. Mary's Parish. A person by the name of Denise Moran answer back via email saying that a Barry Mahoney knew Ena Collins that that he would email. No message has been received.

In addition, Mahoney or another person at St. Mary's knew somebody else who knew Ena well. I was told to email this person and I did but no response.

The one email address that I have is omahonycotter@eircom.net

This is the message that I received...

Barry Mahoney, College Lawn, Listowel knew Eda as a child and was a
    >> personal friend of his mother, his email address is
    >> omahonycotter@eircom.net
    >>
    >> If you are looking for more information Billy has asked for you to put
    >> in parents names of the person you are looking for and dates so he can
    >> trace what you are looking for.
    >> It was very hard to trace Ena with no information (when & what year).
    >>
    >> Denise Moran.

Hoping you can help.

PS. I have since found out that Ena Collins real name was Catherine Mary Collins. No wonder I couldn't find her. I don't know if Kathleen Collins was her real name. I am trying to trace Kathleen.

I have since received a copy of Ena's death certificate. She died in 1981 as you well know. I wish I could have met her.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Hi Cherry Tree, Where can I purchase the Book Online when it becomes available

Let me know please

Fair play Billy....Just Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV-dQ0GAJaM

• Advertisement

Hi Cherry Tree, Where can I purchase the Book Online when it becomes available

Let me know please

The book is available to purchase using Paypal or credit card from

www.lovelylistowel.ie

Thank you for your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Cogratulations to Tadgh Kennelly and the Kerry team. Up The Kingdom!
    On page 123 I reported that I had spotted Arcade driving along in Co.Cavan in August. Yesterday (All Ireland Sunday) I spotted him on McLean Ave, Yonkers, N.Y., U.S.A. You could meet him anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

listowel8 wrote: »
    watched the races live on TG4 and it was great to see the big crowds and of course to see the beautiful weather all week.they had 24,000 on kerry national day.I saw lovely writer been interviewed on it and she looked wonderful.If you would let us know about the book that you have coming out and the site.every success with it.From a kerryman to a cork woman,Go Kerry on Sunday.

Just to correct the mistake, it was Cherry tree who was on TG4 during the races.

I was trying, without much success, to pick out the winners. Maybe the fact that I was wearing a Cork T-shirt did not help.

:mad::mad:

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

Church newsletter

As Christmas is on the Horizon, I am just wondering is there anybody on here that has a recipe for Porter Cake...the moist sort that I enjoyed every Christmas in Listowel in my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

i just printed porter cake receipt on yahoo.com and found some old receipts including porter cake.you are making me hungry.Must get the little woman to try and make my favourite lemon curd. good luck.

If you have one specific to Listowel...greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

If you have one specific to Listowel...greatly appreciated

Guinness Porter Cake
    1lb. Cream Flour

8oz Sultanas

1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda or Bread Soda.

8oz of sugar

8 oz Irish Butter

3 Eggs

4 oz Mixed Peel

1 lbs mixed dried fruit

1/2 tsp Mixed Spice

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

2oz Almonds

1/2 Pint of Guinness

Sieve Flour, Bread Soda & spices in to a bowl.
    Beat butter and sugar together for 5 to 10 minutes to a cream.
    Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat.
    Finely Chop almonds
    Fold in Flour Mixture, Sultanas, Mixed peel, Almonds and Mixed Fruit.
    Add Guinness. Mix well.
    Turn in to a greased and lined 8 inch tin
    Bake in the center of oven ( 300°F) for 120 minutes.
    Check cake at intervals after 90 minutes.
    Let cake cool a little in tin then stand on a wire tray. Cover with tea towel.

Bob Dylan fan ...here you go.

Guinness Porter Cake

I can feel my arteries clogging up even reading it.
    It sounds like a Christmas cake to me.
    I'm delighted to see the men taking an interest in things culinary.

How about a recipe for that local delicacy usually associated with the Races. I've heard it referred to as a meat pie. I think it may be mutton.

1lb.Cream Flour

8oz Sultanas

1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda or Bread Soda.

8oz of sugar

8 oz Irish Butter

3 Eggs

4 oz Mixed Peel

1 lbs mixed dried fruit

1/2 tsp Mixed Spice

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

2oz Almonds

1/2 Pint of Guinness

Sieve Flour, Bread Soda & spices in to a bowl.
    Beat butter and sugar together for 5 to 10 minutes to a cream.
    Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat.
    Finely Chop almonds
    Fold in Flour Mixture, Sultanas, Mixed peel, Almonds and Mixed Fruit.
    Add Guinness. Mix well.
    Turn in to a greased and lined 8 inch tin
    Bake in the center of oven ( 300°F) for 120 minutes.
    Check cake at intervals after 90 minutes.
    Let cake cool a little in tin then stand on a wire tray. Cover with tea towel.

Bob Dylan fan ...here you go.[/QUOTE]

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 goldenlass

listowel8 wrote: »
    boroman,if my memory serves me the staff at mckennas during my year there was mr.Ohay&paddy walsh managers.michaelOneill,pat houlihan and john lynch electrical dept.tim shanahan and myself paint dept.plus i got a promotion to include parrafin oil and cresote manager.then we had dick kiely,john daly and ned connell and patrick walsh front counter.kathleen clifford in houseware,mikey connor and the ageless junior griffin on bike repair.michael crowley and leslie buckle on electronical repairs.brendan daly,michael collins office also eileen obrien cashier and last but not least young mr.jack mckenna who is now old mr.mckenna(90plus).who did i leave out boroman?

Michael O'Neill was my grandad....

I thought that a wee bit of Brandy was added too

Listowel Mutton Pies

Makes 8

450g (1lb) mutton or hogget–a mixture of neck, shank and scrag end buy a bit more to allow for trimming.

lots of salt and ground white pepper

Pastry
    900g (2lb) white flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    110g (1/4lb) Stork margarine or butter
    850ml (1½ pints) buttermilk

Mutton Broth
    2-2.5kg (4-6lb) mutton or hogget bones approximately
    3-4 large onions, peeled and quartered
    a couple of carrots, stalks of celery, parsley stalks, a couple of sprigs of thyme and pepper. OR a stock cube

Cut the mutton cut into tiny cubes, not more than 1/8 of an inch
    There was a mixture of shoulder, lap and shank.
    The chopped meat went into a big bowl and was seasoned liberally with salt and finely ground white pepper.

Next the pastry, put about 1 ½ lbs self raising flour into a bowl
    a pinch of salt and enough buttermilk to mix.
    This was more like bread dough really than a pastry.
    Gather it all together then knead it for a minute or two, before rolling out to a thickness of about ¼ inch with the wooden rolling pin.
    Then take a saucer out and use it as a template to cut out rounds of dough

One at a time each circle of dough was rolled into a thinner round
    Put a generous half fistful of mutton into the centre, brushed the edges with buttermilk and then pressed another round onto the top, the edges were pressed together to seal and then pricked with a fork 4 or 5 times.
    Have the oven had been preheated to 230°C (450ºF) gas mark 8 so the pies can be baked 3 or 4 at a time on a baking tray for 20 to 30 mins.

A big pot of mutton broth is made from the bones with maybe an onion or two added. The pies are slipped, a couple at a time into the pot of strained broth. They simmer away gently for 15 or 20 minutes and are then served into wide shallow soup bowls with a ladle full of hot broth on top. They are eaten with a spoon and a fork and some extra salt and pepper if you like.

How to make the Broth

Put the mutton or hogget bones into a deep saucepan, add a couple of peeled chopped onions, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1-1½ hours. Strain. add a couple of stock cubes to add extra flavour but if you would rather not, I suggest adding a few thickly sliced carrots and a few sticks of celery, a sprig or two of thyme, some parsley stalks and maybe a sliced white turnip, if available, to add extra flavour to the broth.
    Strain and taste, add salt and pepper to correct the seasoning. Save until needed. The broth will keep in a fridge for several days or may be frozen.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the recipe...very interesting.
    But OMG if the porter cake doesn't get you the meat pies certainly will.
    All that salt!!!
    How about an online Listowel recipe book?

If there is any Listowel based Chefs on this Thread maybe they can share with us some of there Gourmet creations.

You can count me in on the Listowel Recipe Book....Lets get more people on board. Winter is approaching very quickly...So some warm Hearty Delights would ease those nights when we need something to ease our cravings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marly

boroman wrote: »
    Timothy O Connor taught in St Michaels from 1906 until 1953. He was by all accounts a wonderful teacher and was a master of the classics, Latin and Greek.
    Timmy as he was known was born in 1887, in the 1912 census he was living in what is now 35 Patrick St. with his father Denis (a widower) who was a master carpenter, a brother Batty and sister Delia, also living as a lodger with the family was Julia Dowling from Coolard, she subsequently got married to Timmy. He was a good footballer and played with the Listowel Independents in 1907. (team photograph is in Listowel and the GAA 1885-1985), he retained his love of the game all his life, while chairman of the Listowel football club in 1936 he was instrumental in getting a lifelong friend Maurice Walsh (of Quite Man fame) to present a set of jerseys (emblazoned with the black cocks feather chest) to the club.
    Timmy and Julia lived at 2 Courthouse Road and had a family of six, Buddy(Dennis), Tim, Tom, Maureen, Noreen and Patricia . Timmy died in1967.

Boroman,

Timmy O'Connor was my Grandfather and I would just like to clarify for the record, he did not have a family of 6 but 7. My Aunt Kathleen is still very much alive and was a schoolteacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marly

:o
    I sometimes get questions like this that I am unable to answer. I only came to town in 1973.

I wonder if some of the " older" readers of the thread could help me out.

I wonder would you have any information about Timithoy O'Connor he taught in the school ( St. Michaels) in the 1950's . He lived in Courthouse road

Lovely Writer

Timothy O'Connor was my Grandfather.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

If there is any Listowel based Chefs on this Thread maybe they can share with us some of there Gourmet creations.

Bob Dylan Fan.....did you ever have Chicken Shadow Soup?
    Was a great favorite of mine in my youth.
    I cannot remember how to make it.
    Maybe Up the Ashes could help.
    I believe he also was a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I must apologise to Marly in relation to my omission of Kathleen (happily still with us) from the list of the late Timmy and Delia O Connors children, I knew she was a teacher along with the late Maureen (Listowel) and Timmy(Tipperary), Dennis (Buddy) ran the news agency in Main St. while Tom served for many years as a radio officer until he retired back home to Coolard and then Listowel, as far as I know Noreen and Patricia (Pat) who would have been friends with my own sisters are both retired from either Dublin Corporation or Co. Council. I hope the three O Connor sisters are enjoying good health and that they are able to return to Listowel as often as they wish to visit old friends and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

As we now have the 3 Amigos (Ashes man, Pint man and Dylan fan) in our kitchen would their collected mind have a good receipt for nettle soup.

• Advertisement

Here you are Boroman

Kerry Nettle Soup

Fresh nettle leaves, after being boiled several times, are good spinach substitutes.

Ingredients

• 1 pint young nettle tops (From the Banks of the River Feale)
    • 1 oz butter (Kerry Gold)
    • 1 oz oatmeal (McCann's Irish Oatmeal)
    • 10 oz water, stock or milk
    • salt and pepper

Directions

Wear rubber gloves when you wash young nettle tops in cold water. Do this several times. Chop nettle tops finely. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add oatmeal and fry until golden brown. Add water, stock or milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir constantly. Add chopped nettle tops, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes over low heat. Serves about 4.

Advertisement